Should Bono ever release a solo album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love a lot of covers Bono has done by himself, I think he could possibly do a solo album, but it would have to be a while from now, when the band is on an extended break and Bono doesn't have as much stuff on his plate, so to speak (Africa, young kids, etc.)

I would love to hear Bono doing a solo album. However,it would feel weird to hear him sing without the rest of the band. Love the fact that after all of this time that they are still together. Plus Bono would probably be bored silly doing a tour by himself,lol.

What I would like to hear is not necessarily a solo album, but an album that brings together all the material that members of U2 have done in side projects. That could potentially be very interesting.

I'd rather he didn't. I guess I just don't think it'd be that good really. If he has to do a solo project, I'd prefer it was something like the spoken poetry album or a novel or something like that.

Even though I say that, I'd probably still buy the solo album if he made it. :reject:

Yes, I would love to hear a solo album by Bono.

Whether it would consist of covers, spoken word, collaborations or new material (or a mixture of each) - it would be nice to hear Bono by himself.

There is much more in this man than what we see of him in U2 - and I would love to see him reveal that side of himself to us.:up:

U2FanPeter said:
I thought Edge already put out an album by himself?
That would be 'Music from the film "Captive" with Michael brook, the same guy who, with The Edge invented his 'infinite guitar' as heard on 'With or Without you'....
The main theme 'Rowenas theme' features Sinead O'connor on lead vocal.
I have it on viynl. Have never seen the film though.:edge:

How about a 'Bono Duets' album? Perhaps to include a couple of covers aswell as mainly U2 tracks...

Example:-

Bono/Bruce Springsteen - ISHFWILF
Bono/Neil Young - Southern Man
Bono/Metallica - The Unforgiven...:drool:
Bono/Zack De La Rocha - Bullet The Blue Sky
Bono/Liam Gallagher - One
Bono/Tori Amos - Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

:shrug:

Aardvark747 said:
How about a 'Bono Duets' album? Perhaps to include a couple of covers aswell as mainly U2 tracks...

:bow: :bow: :drool:

Some Bono/Vedder thing could be cool also. I think they are friends :hmm: at least vedder went to some vertigo shows

Much rather have an Edge solo album. You know, one with him singing throughout, not a primarily instrumental soundtrack album. The guy has a great voice.

bsp77 said:
Much rather have an Edge solo album. You know, one with him singing throughout, not a primarily instrumental soundtrack album. The guy has a great voice.

:up:

Until then we have to be happy only with Van Diemen's Land :drool: :drool:

In the Zoo Tv Stockholm, he sings the 2nd verse of Stand By Me and the chorus and I almost don't realize the difference between him and Bono.

Aardvark747 said:

Bono/Eddie Vedder - Black :cool:

Maybe, but I'm a Pearl Jam fan and I don't like that one very much. It's like "One" for U2, it's a great ballad but it's overrated :mac: :)

To make a Pearl Jam song... Corduroy, Elderly Woman...Small Town, Daughter or I am mine! :wink:

It would undoubtedly be very interesting and I think it's worth bearing in mind that both Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have released some pretty funky solo material.

If I was given a choice though I think I'd rather hear an Edge solo album not only because of what he'd do musically if let to his own devices but give his voice the platform it surely deserves.

A lot complained about ATYCLB and HTDAAB being 'safe', well a solo album would let them mess about a lot without the pressure of the U2 juggernaught.

With this in mind I wonder whether either of them would consider working with Brian Eno who a couple of weeks ago spoke about the rise of Arabic pop music. Now that would be interesting.

MacPhistoPT said:

Maybe, but I'm a Pearl Jam fan and I don't like that one very much. It's like "One" for U2, it's a great ballad but it's overrated :mac: :)

To make a Pearl Jam song... Corduroy, Elderly Woman...Small Town, Daughter or I am mine! :wink:

I'd like to see "Save You" instead... :macdevil:

I'd rather have an Edge solo album, alot of guitar geeks would end up being surprised by the quality of Edge's instrumental works imo:wink:

Aardvark747 said:

Bono/Neil Young - Southern Man
Bono/Zack De La Rocha - Bullet The Blue Sky
Bono/Liam Gallagher - One
Bono/Tori Amos - Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

That would be cool :) (ooh, Bono and Neil Young doing "Southern Man"...:hmm:? I'd be very curious to hear that...).

Angela

Out of the two, an Edge or Bono solo album I'd take a Bono one anyday. I love Edge's guitar playing and it' his sound that has defined a huge portion of U2 and has influenced many bands for 20 years. But I'm afraid he wouldn't be able to stray very far from that defined Edge sound, plus I find his voice grating sometimes.

I think Bono has brought some more of the avant garde ideas to U2 and plus with all his solo efforts we know he can really stray and go in different directions.

Moonlit_Angel said:

That would be cool :) (ooh, Bono and Neil Young doing "Southern Man"...:hmm:? I'd be very curious to hear that...).

Angela
I've a viynl boot copy of U2 playing southern man at a concert on the War tour. It's very rough but quite passionate!:up:

i can pretty much promise everyone that a bono solo album would be filled with "american prayers".

oh how the 1998 incarnation of bono would weap if he knew this to be true of himself...

I think out of all the band members, Edge would make the best solo album.

I think Bono COULD make a good one, but whether he WOULD or not is the question. When you're making a solo album, YOU are it. You don't have a band to back you up and if you're not doing anything, nothing is getting done. If you're in a band, and you have save-Africa end-Poverty duties to attend to, the band can work on the record to a certain degree in your absence. If it's your solo album, nothing is getting done when you're doing other business. Bono would REALLY have to commit to the project, spend more time in the studio then he's probably spent in the studio since the Pop sessions(imo), and put a concious effort into making the music sound unique from U2 to a certain extent. This is because, no matter what, a Bono solo album would always be compared to U2's stuff, and making a record that sounds just like a U2 record wouldn't help that. And honestly - after making music with U2 for so long without ever even hinting at a solo album - to make one at this point without everyone thinking he just wants more publicity and more ego-stroking would take a creative effort of a magnitude that I'm not sure Bono has in him in 2005. I'm not saying he doesn't, I'm just saying I'm not sure.

I think the really unique thing about U2 is, where in a band like the Beatles, Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison(heck even Ringo isn't horrible) could all hold their own and make solo music that at times was at least equal to Beatles music, the members of U2 really need each other to make the kind of music they make. I don't think anyone here can deny thinking that Bono + Studio guitarist just wouldn't be the same without Edge, or that Edge singing while playing a guitar - while I love him singing - just wouldn't be the same without Bono's ego-ridden listner-captivating singing, or that Adam and Larry, while being great at what they do, just aren't versatile enough to carry a whole load themselves. U2 need each other to make it work, I think.

I've thought about this and realised one thing I'd love to hear: an instrumental album by Edge, Adam, and Larry. That would be awesome. I doubt they'd ever do it, especially seeing they've generally shied away from instrumentals (save for the UF era), but if they did, I imagine I'd really like it.

Back
Top Bottom