Shadows! Shadows! Shadows! and taaalll trees...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Shadows and Tall Trees is IMO an outstanding song. I think it is an awesome closer, in fact besides besides Love is Blindness and The Ground Beneath Her Feet, this is their best closer, in terms of 'goodness'. The lead-up to the chorus is for me almost the best part on the album, with Bono going, "but I know, oh ho, but I know, oh ho, I know" and Larry pumping it along with a sweet drum line, and then it falls back into a relaxed, "shadows and taaaall trees."

This song gets bashed a fair bit but I reckon its goddam terrific.

me too! love it! fav part is the whole

"Do You Feel In Meeeeee e e e eeeeeee...
anything redeeminng
any worth while feeling
is it like a tight rope
hanging from my ceiling"

great lyric!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It gets bashed?:huh:

I think it just gets ignored.

I quite like it, and it's a good closer for Boy. I think it's a shame U2 didn't explore its potentials live, as I think it would've made a good closer; in reality, although it was a standard at pre-Boy shows, it didn't even make the Boy Tour.

beautiful song and closes Boy perfectly.
I love the image of a teenage Bono walking home through the suburban streets to "the street melody" to probably eat his dinner :)

:up:

I love Shadows and Tall Trees, it's a beautiful song, full of wonderful imagery. I've even recently played around with the idea of shooting and editing together a little video to go with it (something black and white and artistic, with a lot of shots of the streets of my neighbourhood, and of course, trees and rainy skies), but it'll probably never happen, as I don't have the time to go about shooting all of the required video.

In the meantime, I still have the memory of the first time I listened to it, and I thought Bono was saying "Is love like a taco, hanging from my ceiling" :lmao:

COBL_04 said:
I think it is an awesome closer, in fact besides besides Love is Blindness and The Ground Beneath Her Feet, this is their best closer, in terms of 'goodness'.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is just a bonus song in UK and Japan...

Re: Re: Shadows! Shadows! Shadows! and taaalll trees...

bathiu said:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is just a bonus song in UK and Japan...

And Australia.

I didn't know it wasn't ATYCLB's proper closer until I started visiting U2 fansites in 2003, and as far as I'm concerned, it works quite well in that spot, after Grace.

I love this song. At one point, I would have considered it to be amongst my top ten favorites. I don't think it would make that list anymore, but I still think it's great.

zooperson said:
me too! love it! fav part is the whole

"Do You Feel In Meeeeee e e e eeeeeee...
anything redeeminng
any worth while feeling
is it like a tight rope
hanging from my ceiling"

great lyric!

:up: Agreed. I love that part the best too! :)

I really liked the demo version from the iTunes release over the album version.

LemonMelon said:

Inspiration > That comment. :eyebrow:
gaycc9.gif

But I knoooooow oh ho
But I knoooooow oh ho
But I knoooooooooooooooooow

Shadows and taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall treeees

I'm sorry but I just love this song. Third best on Boy.

Man, I wish that I had thought The Ground Beneath Her Feet was the proper closer to ATYCLB. Why didn't they just throw it on there for all album versions if they were going to do it for many of them anyway?

Back
Top Bottom