Sex, Drugs & Rock n Roll...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think that bands today lack the conviction to touch on bigger issues. it's not entirely thier fault though. the focus has to be on getting heard above the din of "popular" culture. novelty (acts) rule and you gotta have a "gimmick" to get your single on that iPod.. :rant:

inside of ten years the whole concept of the "album" as a way for any artist to get their music to the masses will be dead.

the age of the single has returned. :rant: :rant:

anyway, most of the artist i think of are either early mtv or pre-date it altogether.

bonosgirl84 said:

rem instantly came to mind. so did nirvana. (but then again, i think stipe and cobain can run circles around bono as far as writing goes, so maybe i'm no good here, cause that's an entirely different topic, isn't it.)

I agree. Stipe though admittingly never wrote any true love songs until Out of Time. I can't think of any moments where Cobain went into politics off the top of my head, but its been awhile. But the only thing about Stipe and Cobain(I think are very similar lyricists) can get lost in the obscure. I think they may hide behind absurdity sometimes...at least Stipe has admitted it.

bonosgirl84 said:

rem instantly came to mind. so did nirvana. (but then again, i think stipe and cobain can run circles around bono as far as writing goes, so maybe i'm no good here, cause that's an entirely different topic, isn't it.)

You're kidding about Cobain, right? I love Nirvana and all, but Bono is a much better lyricist. And don't judge by the past two albums(which I like, but are lyrically inferior to past records for the most part).

Cobian never wrote anything that could match up lyrically to JT or AB or Pop.

Back
Top Bottom