Setlist Surprises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoo_Fly

Acrobat
I was just on youtube watching the band perform The Unforgettable Fire in concert back in 1987, and I thought, wouldn't it be the biggest surprise for fans if they pulled this one out of nowhere on their next tour?

I got to thinking about the show I attended, Toronto I on the Vertigo tour, and how they pulled out 'In A Little While,' sending the diehard fans into a huge craze. It's a very unique feeling when they bring out a lesser known song, or a non-single, out of the blue, and it really sends you into a spiral of joy and happiness, especially when it is thrown into what is otherwise a standard setlist. There were a few other moments on the Vertigo tour where this happened, as well as on other tours in the past.

I'm just curious about what other moments such as this stand out in your head, when U2, a band more recently known for fairly static setlists, brings out a little-known classic or die-hard fan favorite and how did you react to an unknown gem being played right infront of you?

I would want them to play more from October. Like Tomorrow or Rejoice. Never any love for those tunes.

Zoo_Fly said:

I got to thinking about the show I attended, Toronto I on the Vertigo tour, and how they pulled out 'In A Little While,' sending the diehard fans into a huge craze.

Actually, I think the diehards were more surprised and excited to hear Fast Cars at Toronto 1. We were the very first people who heard that song played live. I was the only person in my row singing along. This made me happy. Stuff the casual fans who only went for Beautiful Day and Vertigo.

he he what about this for a setlist:

Acrobat
Drowning Man
Red Hill Mining Town
Salome
Lady With The Spinning Head
Zooropa
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Do You Feel Loved
Your Blue Room
Holy Joe
If God Will Send His Angels
Stateless
The Playboy Mansion
Wild Honey
Indian Summer Sky
A Man And A Woman
When I Look At The World
Luminous Times
Summer Rain

ENCORE:
Electrical Storm
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
Where Did It All Go Wrong
Walk To The Water
Endless Deep

OR:

Fortunate Son
Elvis Ate America
Slug
*U2 gets eaten by angry mob of fans*

There are a lot of things that would be surprising. I would love them to break out a "Mofo" or an "Unforgettable Fire."

My pick would be God Part II. Unfortunately they havent even considered it since the Zoo tour Outside Broadcast rehearsals.

Re: Re: Setlist Surprises

GibsonGirl said:

Actually, I think the diehards were more surprised and excited to hear Fast Cars at Toronto 1. We were the very first people who heard that song played live. I was the only person in my row singing along. This made me happy. Stuff the casual fans who only went for Beautiful Day and Vertigo.

I had the same experience, I was in GA on Adams side on the outside of the ellipse and you could totally tell who the fans were when they started playing that...

I was singing along and people around me were looking around confused.

Fast Cars would be great (why didn't they play it in Detroit, of all places?)

Also Mofo and Love is Blindness, the entire thing, not just a snippet.

I'd love The Unforgettable Fire to return.

The live versions, especially Joshua Tree in Denver are mindblowing.

The return of the some Pop stuff would be awesome.

There is no need to drop the classics - because they don't want to - but replace the fringe songs with some old non-single stuff. Or even just less well known singles.

I'd put my vote in for One Tree Hill too, but i've never been to a show without it (admittedly, that consists of two shows)

dirty day, electrical storm, DISCOTHEQUE lol
when bono sang that little clip of in a little while in hawaii i was soo shocked.

I think Last Night on Earth would be awesome. After hearing the Mexico City version, I was so blown away and it's been hard to listen to the studio version ever since.

Setlist surprises? There were so many on the last two tours, tht it is hard to imagine, U2 might be able to top it. Of course, there might be tunes from the first three albums, I still would like to hear live in concert (e.g. Twilight, Tomorrow, especially October or the never played Drowning Man), but this would be even for a surprise not very realistic.
No, what U2 really could do is to play more stuff from their 1984 masterpiece. On the last tour there were occasional glimpses of MLK, a short-cut Pride and an occasional Bad. But these three have been doing it from TUF (with too few exceptions – I talk about a ramshackle performance in Slane 1 '01 & the fan on stage improvisation in '01) for 2 decades! In other words: Bring back Bad more often plus well rehearsed versions of A Sort Of Homecoming and The Unforgettable Fire – two of the meautiful tunes, U2 ever have written – and that would be surprise enough.
From 1987/88 there isn'tmuch left really: I'd love to hear Spanish Eyes (had no success in Barcelona '05) and (more unrealistic) Mothers Of The Disppeared or even Exit (wow, what a surprise it would be ...). And God Part II could be another jawdropping surprise.
The next decade mut see a return from 1997: So I would vote at least for a full band version of Please.
And: When U2 decide to still play Window In the Skies, I'd be happy, too. Is That All? Yeah, for the next tour ...

Blue Room said:
My pick would be God Part II. Unfortunately they havent even considered it since the Zoo tour Outside Broadcast rehearsals.
:up: Just the other day I was saying "If I was at a U2 concert and they played God Part II, I'd probably fall over dead :drool:"

They played All I Want Is You for the first time on the Vertigo tour when I saw them in Manchester, that was cool

I'd love to hear Mofo or EBTTRT again too

MsPurrl said:
I'd die happy if I could see/hear them do "All I Want Is You."

I think they rediscovered (for lack of a better word) All I Want Is You at the very end of the Vertigo tour; they closed Saitama II and Honolulu with it, so I don't think it's in the "dropped from setlists forever" category. You just might get your wish. :wink:

I haven't heard the Honolulu show, but the version from Saitama II is gorgeous.

The suprises I loved from the last tour were:

The First time. I never heard that live and I loved it. It was so unexpected. Such a great song.

WGRYWH. Not the best live version but I was glad to see the band didn't forget it. I love the song.

Discotheque. Man they should have played it more. It looked so awesome n the Vertigo tour :( Stupid casual fans only like the super popular stuff though. Jerks.

Also Miss Sarajevo. It was played a ton but I thought it was super awesome.

Songs I'd LIKE to hear live:

Please. Come on U2 this song is a classic! How can they forget about it? It was so great on Popmart. I don't understand why they don't play it anymore.

Ultraviolet. This song is underated. It was so great on ZooTV and it's never played again? BS!

I also really wanna hear some more obscure mellow stuff. If they can play The First Time and Fast Cars it's not impossible, right? If I could hear Your Blue Room live I'd be able to die a happy man right then and there. Or something like Stateless. Oh yes, the beauty would be unbearable!!!

Back
Top Bottom