Security took my camera in OAK, but I got a Bono pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2SJ

Refugee
I can hardly see I am so tired, but had to tell you guys the good and the bad news!
Tonite was so incredible in Oakland for me-
I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF A BONO PICK!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dallas passed by me in LA and I asked him for a pick, he came back to me that nite and threw me an Edge pick, but the guys in back of me grabbed it. So tonite, when Dallas was walking by, I leaned over the rail as far as I could go and asked him for a pick- He then proceeded around the heart and went in his cubby hole area, I thought it wasn't gonna happen. The next thing I knew he was walking by again, he stopped right at me, and in his mouth I saw another pick, not the one he was using on the guitar, and he handed it to me (YAY! this time he actually handed it to me!!!) and I looked, it has U2 with a small kite design, and the back was BONO, not Edge, OMG! I was like, well, how did he know I would have loved an Edge one, but Bono??? So I am thinking that Dallas actually put some thought into it! I mean I had BONO in silver glitter plastered against my chest, anyways, I just think they are all incredible, the way they do these special little things for their fans.
The 2nd part of the good news, when Scott(i think), the little guy who is always where Bono is, was in front of me, I kinda tapped him while U2 was like half-way into their set, and he took off his headphones for a sec and leaned over,I asked "Is there any way i could possibly have a set-list?" Sure, I'll bring you one later. Towards the end of the show, sure enough, I feel a tap and it's him with the setlist folded up for me.
WOW! I AM SO HAPPY, more U2 souvenirs for the U2 room!
Now, for the BAD news- So I lined up at 6:45, #55, when we were going in, this huge security guy and girl looked into my butt-pack, saw my camera, and told me I had to go back to the car. OK, yeah right in the mad rush I was going back to my car, and after waiting 14 hours not get in??? So I started arguing with them, next thing I know, I was kinda running to blend into the crowd, hmmmmmm, bad bad idea. Big guy, BIG, he picks me up and CARRIES ME OUT to the top of the ramp!?! OMG, NO! HE is telling the security bitch, I'm sorry, but they were really rough and tough with me, and I think spanish eyes and debbiesg can vouge for that, holy shits was I scared, that I had to GO out of the line completely and NOT GET IN? So I put on the crying act, but THEY TOOK MY CAMERA?
After the show, I went to security, lost & found, and NO camera. So that was a bad one.
And sorry, I have no great photos of the show. DAMN
So if anyone finds photos, please e-mail me:

U2SJ@hotmail.com

Anyways, besides that it was a GREAT day, everyone in GA was great, somehow we managed to organize it, the wonderful fans in the front made it happen, with their "system" good job! and thank goodness, it didn't end up like another Phoenix!
So nice to meet spanish eyes, debbiesg, and elevatemysoul, even if it was at the start of the show across the heart boundary. Nice meeting you guys! Sorry I didn't meet SicilianGodess!
The show was AMAZING, the scene with the little girl was adorable, I told my friend in line she would go on stage with Bono, she was just the cutest, dancing on her daddy's shoulders during the show. Bono was really talkative tonite, very smiley, and just in the best of moods! The cigarette story was the best, but I am too tired to write any more. Anyone remember that story better than I do?
Good nite~

Hey girl! Shit that sucks!!

I shoved my camera down my pants. All they did was glance in my hip pack. Sorry girl. I took some good pics, I will develop them and post them when I get back from Vegas.

So cool about the pick! Shit I think I saw that happening too cuz I was on the other side outside the heart. I cant believe I didnt see you or meet you!

The girl was great! I'm going to add the cigarette story in my thread. I forgot about that, that was so funny!

Anyway I dont know why I'm still up.. must go sleep!

This camera stuff is odd.

I heard rumors that cameras were being confiscated for this third leg of the tour, so for Providence, I bought a recyclable camera (fearing that I might lose my digital camera if I brought that).

Yet, while I was "scanned" with a metal detector (like everyone else), I had no trouble bringing in a camera, nor did most other people. Many brought in good cameras too! I certainly used my reusable camera for all it was worth - but of course, those things are never as good as a truly good camera. Still, at least I got some pictures. However, I don't understand why some venues are ultra-strict about cameras and others are not.

Sorry about your bad fortune - hopefully it was a cheap camera.

This camera stuff is making me nervous. Both times I was in GA on the first leg I brought disposable cameras and no one ever checked anyways. This time I have a nice 35mm with a decent zoom and I was planning on bringing it, but it was a gift for graduation and I'd be in big trouble if it got confiscated. Why the sudden change in policy, I wonder?

-sula

The whole camera thing is perplexing...in Boston, I brought only a throwaway fearing losing my 35-150 zoom, it was a Christmas gift, like Sula I don't wanna lose it. So in line the Fleetcenter security says cameras are OK for this event only, as the band has requested they be allowed. So I'm pissed at not having my good camera, though I got some good shots (and some real crap) with the disposable.
In Providence I brought the zoom. Again security while handing out wristbands said small cameras and digital cameras were allowed, so I walked in with it in my hand, no problems, and kept zooming in on Bono's face every time he came to our side of the heart (I probably pissed him off with the flash
smile.gif
).
So why do some buildings confiscate them? U2SJ it sucks about your camera (rest of story is great), you should call the arena to see if you can retrieve it somehow. The camera policy should be consistent, or they venue should post something if they are gonna do things differently than most.

[This message has been edited by Hewson (edited 11-16-2001).]

Dang U2SJ, that is crappy w/ the whole security thing. Does anyone know of Staples Center allowes good cameras in??? And even if I shove it down my pants, will the metal detectors get it?

mocool12- It did suck
frown.gif
bad but the pick made up for it!
wink.gif

Anyways, YES, atleast last week Staples most definitely let us take cameras in, except with a large lens. They told us it was ok outside. There are metal detectors, so I would just show it. Atleast all of us just had them in plain view.
Oakland security was EVIL

Thats to bad about the security thing. It sounds like one person on a power trip was mis-informed as I know U2 allows cameras in as long as they are not professional cameras with a tele photo lens.

Regarding your pick. If Dallas handed it to you it is not Bono's pick, it is Edge's. His picks on this tour have all 4 band members names on them. I have an Edge pick that says Adam and one that says Larry and I know they were his as he used one of them in Chicago (and obviously Larry doesnt play guitar!!)

OMG, that sucks ass!!!

Hey where were you people? I was looking for interferencers but found none, however I met 2 lurkers! LOL They were awesome! If you guys are lurking in and read this YOU PEOPLE SHOULD POST! DAMN IT!
tongue.gif

Anywho, the whole camera thing is annoying! My bro hid it around his ankle cause he had baggy pants! LOL Anwyho, I dunno if the pics turned out or not!
frown.gif
But my cousin also had a cemera I'm hoping hers came out!!

Anywho, Yes show was awesome!

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 11-16-2001).]

OK, yes, I'm a lurker and I was at last night's Oakland show (up in rafters, behind stage)

Going tonight again and can't wait. Have GCs this time. (This will be Elevation to the fifth power - yes, I'm certifiable!)

Question for all: Did anyone wait outside before the show for the band to come out and sign? Did they? and what time?

Thanks!

That does suck I have never heard of that happening on this tour. I'm glad you had a good show and got a pic though that's cool.

------------------
~~~Who's to know where the wind will take you~~~

Wow!! I'm really surprised that security took things to that extreme, I havent heard anything yet to that extent. Like someone said earlier - sounds like someone had a bit of a power trip and is not aware of the fact that U2 allows them in the venue. What kind of camera was it? Just a regular 35mm? I had a little problem getting mine into Providence 2- but not enough that I couldnt get it in.
In otherword, the venue had no right to take your camera away - if anything, they should have taken your film and/or batteries. I dont know how much good it will do - but call the arena and explain what happened, they may be able to help. A few years ago when I went to a non-u2 concert, I had my camera (with my zoom) and honestly at the time was not aware that they weren't allowed. So I'm snapping away and this huge guard come up to me and tells me that if I dont take the zoom off, he's taking my film... totally rude and out of line. I was ok with it and was starting to put it away, and he got totally in my face and yelled NOW! Not realizing that it takes a minute to dismantle etc... the people around me agreed he was out of line. So I called the fleet center the next day and just asked more out of curiosity what the policy was - they said that cameras where OK, without zoom. When I complained about the guy, she said that there were other complaints in about him as well for the way he'd treated other people in the audience, and that it was being taken care of. I dont know what difference it made, but in a nutshell = call and get your camera back!! At least try - maybe it's in the lost and found now. Good Luck!

------------------
How do you keep a moron busy for an hour? Two words... Extreme Paddleball

"wow...look at those two birds... they look just like airplanes, the way they're flying..."

" because they are airplanes..."

Yep, the security was rough on poor U2SJ. We didn't know it was her at the time, but we saw her with two big guys almost up against the wall, then realized it was about the camera.

They didn't do a metal detector, and they just peeked into most bags. Really inconsistent, so some people did get cameras in.

Sorry for the loss of the camera U2SJ, at least it all worked out great once inside. We had fun yelling across to you over the ramp and looking at your pictures.

Cheers, hope to see you soon
smile.gif
! Keep in touch!

In the Paris show where I went the security would just take the cameras, take their battery and give the camera back to you. This would happen during the concert. When we were entering the arena the control was really not strict at all and they didn't really look for cameras. So this was not that bad. Even though I was standing just out of the heart and people next to me were having their camera batteries taken, nobody took mine because I was only shooting when Bono was close to us. When that happened the U2 security stuff would be there and the local security people would NOT do a single thing but would let the official U2 security handle everything. When Bono left and his security as well I would hide the camera again.

Andy

Wow U2SJ that sux about your camera but glad you got that geetar pick, a true one of a kind U2 souvenir!

About cameras, at Staples Center I am thinking it is not an issue as I was in nosebleed for LA1 about 4 rows from the roof and you could see TONS of flashes coming from ALL over the floor and heart. I guess the thing is to keep it hidden, Mine will be in my pocket. I don't think it will set the metal detector off and I am not gonna take it out...

Thanks for all the condolences on the cam!
I went back last night to OAK #2 and looked in camera check and lost&found, but NOTHING!
Oh well, I am more sad about the 12 or so pictures that were in there still from LA.
Yep, I think big guy had a moment of power trip, but if you guys saw me, I am 5'2 petite girl, and they treated me like a damn criminal?! It was scaaaaary!

U2LA, I had NO problems at Staples, thats how I got all those great pics. So you should be cool there!
I am in Elevation post-depression.

DebbieSG,
SACRAMENTO? Oh, God, I was trying to be good and not go, but 2 hours from home??? Maybe you were right and I should go!!!

capre diem...of course you should go!!!

Sorry to hear about the rough stuff and having your camera confiscated(u musta bugged him or he was too buggable)I get a bit confused on which gigs are which, they do so many. Wasn't it you who's great pics I am about to go back and find and admire?That must have been before this gig.
**cass thanks heaven for small mercies**

cass
LOL! I can laugh about it now, my friend that was with me is still in shock by my reaction to him telling me he wouldn't let me in til I put the camera in the car. I don't know what came over me, it was a moment of U2 induced craziness, without thinking I put the camera back in my backpack and ran top speed down the ramp- that SO pissed security man off.
I swear to God, he grabbed me from behind and carried me all the way back up, honestly thought that was it, no U2 for me that nite!
I was lucky he let me go in. THANK GOD
Yep, I had fun taking those pics in LA, thanks God I had brought a Canon point&shoot to Oakland and NOT my good digital that I brought to LA-
I NEED PICS OF U2 OAKLAND, though, so come on guys, post some pics? Anyone???

Back
Top Bottom