Seattle Radio Station Host to do "Bono is Big Hypocrite" show today - WHY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono should say how much he gives to charity.
It would stop this kind of useless debates.

WHY?! Because that's how he comes off to average people. All the ingredients are there, and those who don't adore him as we do don't let that stand in their way, or even force it to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have been trying to tell y'all this for awhile now, but I only get lectured and jumped all over. I'm a FAN, and I only do it out of concern for stuff like this radio show happening, and how the hypocrisy can taint his cause to the very people he's targeting. All you holier than thou types who want to lecture should call that show and not spew off at me. That's who needs your message. (though I'm sure they'll disagree with you)

guill said:

He probably doesn't, and that's why he's not telling :shh: Those of you who want to believe he gives can say he does but doesn't tell, but it's not proof for those who are saying he doesn't.

doctorwho said:

What he is asking is that NATIONS give $$.

And that's where the hypocrisy really comes in! Where do those 'nations' get their money? From our taxes! And now Bono is skipping out of Ireland with the business to avoid paying taxes- taxes that could be used for world problems, or for the poor in Ireland. He asks of others what he won't do himself.

He can talk, and yeah that's doing something and something's better than nothing, but when you don't back it up with your own cold hard cash like Bill Gates does, you look like exactly what the DJ thinks he looks like. And that's what I've been trying to get across to you all for ages. Not everyone is a big fan who'll jump to his defense.

So let's see... the U.S. can afford to spend billions and billions on a war in Iraq that most U.S. people do not want or support, but forgiving debt in Africa and sending drugs there is considered "too expensive" and a waste of taxpayers' $. Right...

That is hypocrisy too, but it needs a whole different thread, and I'm not allowed in FYM anymore.

Clearly this man knows nothing about what Bono's doing, what DATA is and about Bono's personal finances. Bono most likely gives far more of his own personal $$ to charity than this DJ could ever dream.

I don't believe it. If he can't or won't prove it, don't keep assuming he does just because you like him and you want to believe it.

What's worse, is that this idiotic DJ may convince some people that Bono's cause is in vain. Shame on him! :madwife:

In reality, it is, but that's still not a good reason to stop trying.

guill said:

it would start a new debate.... on how much Bono is a show off, flashing his cash... new discussion: Bono is a hypocrite, while he's rich and famous, he can afford giving *insert the amount of money he gives to charity here* to the poor, and he expect us to be able to do that too???

the only problem I see here is that a lot of people in general are misinformed, or just don't WANT to see the truth.... it's always easier to claim somebody's selfish and such, than see that they might actually be passionate about what they do and that they care...

I wonder when this discussion will ever end, 'cause I'm getting sick of it by now... :rolleyes:

The band -- and by extension, Bono -- left themselves open to this when they moved their publishing operations to Holland. I don't think they were prepared for the backlash, and I don't think they've handled it very well in the weeks since.

Bono is by far the best known member of U2, and he's the member of U2 who has been the most out front in asking for help for struggling countries. That's why he's taking the brunt of it.

If I were Paul McGuinness I'd be thinking seriously about coming up with a better response. There's going to be a long gap before the band has a new product that could wipe all this chatter away.

U2Kitten said:
All you holier than thou types who want to lecture should call that show and not spew off at me.

Funny. Everytime you pop up in this type of thread, you do your own lecturing and spewing off.

Hello, kettle? This is pot. You're black.

corianderstem said:

Funny. Everytime you pop up in this type of thread, you do your own lecturing and spewing off.

Hello, kettle? This is pot. You're black.

Amen to that sistah! :up: And as a broken record at that.. no originality either...

I really wish people would stop bringing up this topic as a thread cuz it brings in the same people spewing off the same ole shite..:huh:

Yeah, me too. I know I should just stay away, but this topic bugs me so much I end up saying my own same old thing.

I think by now everyone who gives a rat's ass knows exactly how U2Kitten or any other of the regular suspects feels about the topic.

Couldn't listen to it. It was during my work day, and the radio at my desk doesn't pick up AM radio stations.

i hope at least someone in this thread has actually listened to that show.

corianderstem said:
Yeah, me too. I know I should just stay away, but this topic bugs me so much I end up saying my own same old thing.

I think by now everyone who gives a rat's ass knows exactly how U2Kitten or any other of the regular suspects feels about the topic.

actually I don't think enough do know about them. I can't figure out if that people post these threads to stir things up and bring in the regulars to get the drama going or whether they are truely unaware of what threads like these do when posted.

I think in this case the person who started this thread was probably unaware of this.

Ha! Gotcha.

Shocking that this thread would start getting into the same old arguments again. Absolutely shocking.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

actually I don't think enough do know about them. I can't figure out if that people post these threads to stir things up and bring in the regulars to get the drama going or whether they are truely unaware of what threads like these do when posted.

I think in this case the person who started this thread was probably unaware of this.

And speaking of 'regular suspects', here YOU are again! :happy:

I'm so tired of hearing this nonsense about Bono and the tax thing. I'm glad some people are giving this stupid DJ the information.

So I went to choir practice this morning, and someone there heard Dori Monson read my email during the show!

I asked what he had said about it, and it was something along the lines of "Good points, a well-thought out response, but I still think it's hypocritical, and here's why."

I'm pleased - I made a point of trying to be well-thought out and not come across like a knee-jerk Bono defender.

You can listen to the show on the KIRO website (Google KIRO, it'll pop right up). The Bono topic was apparently the second hour of the show, and I'm told you can download individual hours of the show, so have at it, if you're so inclined.

I asked my friend a little about Dori and he said he's slightly right-leaning, but very consistent, and hypocrisy is one of his favorite topics, so that's why he was keen to host a show regarding Bono.

its a shame there isnt a complete transcript available. someone should have recorded the show.

blueeyedgirl said:

Why are you shocked?

That was sarcasm, my dear.

U2Man, I don't think local radio talk shows typically end up having transcripts. It's not Howard Stern we're talking about here.

Back
Top Bottom