Screw the covers-stick with U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z edge

I serve MacPhisto
Just my opinion folks, I didn't hear any of the webcast but I would rather hear U2 songs than U2 covers of other songs.

The snippets here and there are fine, like 'get up stand up' behind SBS from the 1st leg (are they still doing that?)

I just don't see why they need to play 'Beatles' songs and so on. I am questionable about 'whats going on' as well, though I haven't heard it.

Just my thoughts, if I am grossly misinformed, feel free to "enlighten" me
wink.gif

"What's Goin' On" is on mp3 at http://www.u2france.com . Check it out, then criticize.
wink.gif

Blarg to corporate post-editing!
mad.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

You are grossly misinformed.
wink.gif
While originals are always the best, sometimes it's fun to hear covers. Another artist's intepretation of a song can bring new meaning to the song.

But you are certainly entitled to your opinion. This is just mine.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Originally posted by melon:
"What's Goin' On" is on mp3 at http://www.u2france.com . Check it out, then criticize.
wink.gif

Blarg to corporate post-editing!
mad.gif

Melon

I can't check it out unfortunately, computer is having problems.

I am questionable about it because of the version on mtv, which IMO goes to hell shortly after Bono's little part. I think it originally was a beautiful song, but is ruined when it turns into rap and so forth. It is a noble cause they are doing it for so that is why you haven't heard me criticize it up until now.

I just feel that there are plenty of U2 classics that could fill the space, thats all.

[This message has been edited by z edge (edited 10-11-2001).]

Trust me. It is nothing like that crappy MTV version. NOTHING.

Try and listen to it, then criticize it.
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by martha:
You are grossly misinformed.
wink.gif
While originals are always the best, sometimes it's fun to hear covers. Another artist's intepretation of a song can bring new meaning to the song.

But you are certainly entitled to your opinion. This is just mine.

I really have no problem with 'a cover'. i just think in a career spanning over 2 decades, it would be nice to see more U2 classics that we haven't seen in a long time. This would be especially great for younger fans who have never heard some of those 'oldies' live.

Originally posted by melon:
Trust me. It is nothing like that crappy MTV version. NOTHING.

Try and listen to it, then criticize it.
wink.gif

Melon

I'll take your word on it until I can hear it. This slow old puter would "lock up" if I tried to access that link, and I would be off line for a minimum of 15-20 minutes!

I just downloaded it and listened to it for the first time. Very nice. This should've been the version that went to MTV. Nothing at all like the MTV version, and that is definitely a good thing.

i was put off by it at first, but the live performance was really good. don't know how long it'll last on the tour, but i wouldn't be surprised either way.

as far as cover's, i personally don't like too many full ones at a show, but i adore all the little snippets thrown into u2 songs..
smile.gif

As far as that show goes there was only 'Whats goin on', which was brill Z Edge!
The Beatles tunes are played before the show starts.
Sgt Peppers as has been for a while, and All you need is Love was played too.

p.s. Your Z has left me permanently wounded

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
As far as that show goes there was only 'Whats goin on', which was brill Z Edge!
The Beatles tunes are played before the show starts.
Sgt Peppers as has been for a while, and All you need is Love was played too.

p.s. Your Z has left me permanently wounded

What has my Z done to you?
confused.gif

I am glad to know the Beatles tunes were done prior to the show, makes more sense.

Back
Top Bottom