School Paper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
Hey everyone, I need some help.

I've got a paper due for my Rock and Roll History class next Wednesday (the 5th) and I'm stumped on a topic.

The instructions are to choose an artist that hasn't been discussed in class. Then, choose one song by that artist and make an argument as to why I feel the song should be included in a Rock and Roll History class. U2 hasn't ben covered (according to the prof, there are some copyright issues that prevent U2 songs from being used), so I plan on doing my paper on a U2 song.

My problem is that I can't decide which song! They've got a lot of great songs, for sure. But I can't really think of one that's historic. This is where you guys come in.

Suggest songs for me and tell me WHY I should write about the song, why it should be included in the curriculum for a Rock and Roll History class.

Thanks! :D

Sunday Bloody Sunday.
End of discussion.

As far as writing about it, go do some research on what the song is about and what it means to the people Bono wrote the lyrics for.

:hmm:

So you mean something like Sunday bloody sunday and link that to N. Ireland or Pride and M. L. King?

Or is it strictly music history and you can do something like the One/AIDS connection?

So what history does SBS have in terms of the history of rock and roll music?

None.

Trust me, that was the first one I thought of, too. But its impact on N. Ireland has nothing to do with music history, and this is strictly a music class.

DaveC said:
Hey everyone, I need some help.

I've got a paper due for my Rock and Roll History class next Wednesday (the 5th) and I'm stumped on a topic.

The instructions are to choose an artist that hasn't been discussed in class. Then, choose one song by that artist and make an argument as to why I feel the song should be included in a Rock and Roll History class. U2 hasn't ben covered (according to the prof, there are some copyright issues that prevent U2 songs from being used), so I plan on doing my paper on a U2 song.

My problem is that I can't decide which song! They've got a lot of great songs, for sure. But I can't really think of one that's historic. This is where you guys come in.

Suggest songs for me and tell me WHY I should write about the song, why it should be included in the curriculum for a Rock and Roll History class.

Thanks! :D

My first reaction would be SBS, since it's a great song, a hit, still played live, and obviously has some "history" to it. I wrote a paper on it in high school and it worked really well. We had to turn in a CD with the song, so I included two live versions where Bono made little political/social justice speeches.

If I had to do your assignment, I'd go for something more obscure, so you don't bore yourself. I think I'd pick Mothers of the Disappeared. I've always liked the song in a sad, poetic way, but it wasn't until I took a Latin American history/politics class that I really understood what that song means and how significant that was for those women to be onstage during PopMart. They, and the children they represent, deserve every second of exposure and respect that they can get. Also, it's a good example of irony - rockstars at the height of their career singing about a passive political movement by mothers.

What is their most covered song? Perhaps you could pick "One" and then explain the many uses, both by the band itself and by other artists who have covered it. It's pretty much an all purpose song, or has been used as such.

But what exactly do you discuss in RnR history anyway? What constitutes making history in this class so far? Is it that the song was/is important to the band who made it (as in their breakthrough song), or is it that it is a song often cited as an influence on other bands, or somethinge else?

I'd pick Bad and then talk about the version at Live Aid.
Talk about what the song means, and how it transcended the entire stadium and across the globe that day.

It was a historically signifigant moment in rock and roll, one of U2's biggest.

Maybe you could pick ISHFWILF and talk about how U2 got a gospel song to #1 in America as a rock band.

I'll try and come up with a few more ideas.

I guess then, that it should be the kind of song that ppl will remember in years to come? And the reason why ppl will remember it?

How about then Angel of Harlem, Billie Holiday and her life? Who she was and where she ended up?

Ok... just a suggestion..

I like the idea of Bad at Live Aid as an example of the impact of Live Aid. I think I may go with that one. :)

We discuss the evolution of different genres of rock and popular music since 1950 in that class. Most of the songs and bands covered are either culturally significant (Dylan), significant or representative to the evolution of a certain genre (Bowie/Glam rock) or influential on a genre (mid-60s Beatles on art rock/prog rock). It's a really interesting class. Right now we're up to early 90's hip hop.

How about Miss Sarajevo?

You could write about U2's hookup with Sarajevo during ZooTV and then the making of Miss Sarajevo itself and the cultural impact that PopMart Sarajevo had on that area.

Just a thought.

U2DMfan said:
I'd pick Bad and then talk about the version at Live Aid.
Talk about what the song means, and how it transcended the entire stadium and across the globe that day.

It was a historically signifigant moment in rock and roll, one of U2's biggest.

That's a good choice. :yes: Not my favourite song from them by any means (and on the day I was kind of pissed off they didn't finish the damned thing and get on to another song :mad:), but that incident would work really well for the assignment.

DaveC said:
I like the idea of Bad at Live Aid as an example of the impact of Live Aid. I think I may go with that one. :)

We discuss the evolution of different genres of rock and popular music since 1950 in that class. Most of the songs and bands covered are either culturally significant (Dylan), significant or representative to the evolution of a certain genre (Bowie/Glam rock) or influential on a genre (mid-60s Beatles on art rock/prog rock). It's a really interesting class. Right now we're up to early 90's hip hop.

You could probably touch on rock n roll as a form of protest. the had been the case for the 60s, but for the most part it wasnt until Live Aid that it began to represent something bigger, again.
know what I mean?

Frankly, U2's music hasn't yet had the greatest impact on the rest of rock and roll. They've had historic songs (depending on how you define "historic") and all, to be sure, but I don't know how historically/musically important/impactful they've been. Feel free to disagree with me on this, by all means, but don't think that I'm here to say that U2 sucks or something. Far from it.

I think a fascinating paper could come from a discussion of U2's cover of Reed's "Satellite of Love" (originally from Transformer, an album so historically important, in the rock and roll/historical context you're speaking of, as to be almost cliche) from the "One" single. It could be a great chance to discuss the popular cultural discourses surrounding the reappropriation and rethinking of "classic" songs, genres, styles, and so forth. If it strikes you and you're able to strike it, then this paper could be something truly fascinating to write and to read. It would be fresh in every way. Go for it and see what you can do, I say.

Either way, though, best of luck. There are many routes to take, so do what you feel the most comfortable with, of course.

I'm your professor and you get an 'F' on this paper! :madwife:

I would suggest just picking a different band. Most of U2's music didn't really CHANGE rock n roll as we know it. Well at least not in my eyes. But I guess SBS and Bad are both pretty cool choices. SBS more so because you said the topic was why a song should be included into RNR history class, and that would be a cool one because it's just a really powerful song and means alot to the band. Like the R&H performance, with Bono's speech, that would be a fun thing to talk about in a music class. Plus it has cool drums, base, guitar, and vocals. But good luck!

Besides those mentioned, what about Pride (In The Name Of Love)? Where The Streets Have No Name...

no particular reason or backup support provided. I'm not the one in school having to make the case :wink: Sounds like a cool course though... Let us know what you decide to do...

BTW, my 11-year old had to do a paper on a famous person and how they've made a difference in the world (something like that). She chose Bono :love: I gave her a One bracelet to turn in with the report.

Oh, and she got an A

Chizip said:
do your own homework

:lmao:

hey chizip, wanna do my math homework? it's about the number e. :drool: :wink:

Bad or One sound like good choices. While I could agree that perhaps U2 doesn't have many individual songs that have made an impact on rock n roll history, their albums, their live shows, and their longetivity have definitely made an impact.

I definitely think that Bad would be a good choice. Certainly the best out of what's available, in terms of U2.

i agree with the person who said not to use U2 for this project. As much as we love the band, it's pretty hard to judge their influence on rock and roll, seeing as all the bands they've influenced, namely Coldplay, are fairly new and kinda hard to judge the effect. What did i just say...ugh

but if you were to use U2, Bad and Streets would be songs I would use. Bad's already been mentioned, but I'd like to point out how innovative a song like WTSHNN is. Musically, it's a work of genius for me, I've never ever heard of a song even remotely similar to it...Edge clearly invents his own style of palm-muting/delay guitar, and does it perfectly. The bass and drums are in perfect sync, and Bono's lyrics...magic my friends. If you go into how it explodes LIVE, that's awesome as well. And besides, WTSHNN opened one of rock's greatest albums ever, the JOSHUA TREE, a true masterpiece no? That's rock history right there...

Its possible that you could explore the impact u2 has had on exploring christianity within the rock and roll medium...according to interviews I've read with bands like POD, Switchfoot...etc...U2 was kind of a door opener to them.

popsadie said:
Its possible that you could explore the impact u2 has had on exploring christianity within the rock and roll medium...according to interviews I've read with bands like POD, Switchfoot...etc...U2 was kind of a door opener to them.

So if Dave decides to go this route, what song should he chose as an example? Did any of those bands cite a particular song or songs that inspired them?

catlhere said:

I would suggest just picking a different band. Most of U2's music didn't really CHANGE rock n roll as we know it. Well at least not in my eyes.

Don't believe that rock 'n' roll
Can really change the world
As it spins in revolution
It spirals and turns

:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom