Scarlet and 4th of July

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

getupoffurknees

Babyface
I just wnat to know what people think of Scarlet and 4th of July. To be honest. I NEVER listen to them. There is no singing and the music isn't that good and I see some people putting them on their top 10 songs of all time.

Here are the lyrics to 4th of July:

Here are the lyrics to Scarlet:

Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice, rejoice

I don't understand how some people say that they are such good songs and can listen to them all of the time. I understand that a song doesn't need to have lyrics, but it is not my thing.

I love both, they're underated.
Scarlet is one of the best songs from October, it is fine as it is. The songs is supposed to remind you of ressurection.
4th of July, may only be an instrumental, but it paints a great landscape, and the song flows very well after Promenade. It doesn't need lyrics.

Aygo said:
I love both, they're underated.
Scarlet is one of the best songs from October, it is fine as it is. The songs is supposed to remind you of ressurection.
4th of July, may only be an instrumental, but it paints a great landscape, and the song flows very well after Promenade. It doesn't need lyrics.

That's how I feel about them too :yes:

I don't really pay much mind to either of those songs as well. I enjoy U2 alot in part because of Bono's vocals and lyrics. When those are absent I just don't really get much out of the songs. I would rate Scarlet a bit above 4th Of July though because I really enjoy October, and it fits well in the mood of things. But overall they are mostly skipable I guess.

Eh/10

4th of July is one of my favourite tunes from The Unforgettable Fire......its a piece that sets the atmosphere for the album almost more than any other....a desolate landsacpe, so provocative.....lyrics could never touch the mental imagery that this piece conveys....

..wish they would do more like it..

It's an atmosphere thing that U2 seems to lack sadly nowadays!

I feel like making an 'Atmosphere mix'. :drool:

getupoffurknees said:
I just wnat to know what people think of Scarlet and 4th of July. To be honest. I NEVER listen to them. There is no singing and the music isn't that good and I see some people putting them on their top 10 songs of all time.

I disagree 100%.

The music is good,...... ambient, atomospheric, soothing sounds, great melody.

All songs don't need lyrics to be good.
Scarlet has a great lyric, and a deeper meaning.

getupoffurknees said:
Here are the lyrics to 4th of July:

Here are the lyrics to Scarlet:

Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice, rejoice

Whatever dude, I've listened to 4th of July tons of times and I never once heard Bono say "dot dot dot dot" :wink:

they're both okay songs. nothing to drool over. They work well in the context of the albums (4th of July especially, Scarlet is unnecessary imo), but I wouldn't listen to the songs individually. And it has nothing to do with lyrics or lack thereof, they're just not that interesting. Lyrics could make them more interesting I suppose, but that wouldn't change the music :shrug:

I think both songs are beautiful. Scarlet is really great on October. It has one word as the lyrics, but it's still able to ring out past Larry's beating drums and Edge's guitar.
4th of July I skip a bit on UF, but when I'm in a certain mood, the atmosphere it has is really lovely (especially through headphones).

I guess people just have to be in a certain mood to hit it off with these songs :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom