Scale of 1-10 how would you rate U2's 2006.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Positives:

Saints (some recognition for the almighty Skids is a great thing, newbies start with this, classic from start to finish, RIP Stuart)

http:// .com/y3yno4

ZooTV DVD

U2byU2

Milan DVD

Negatives:

Mary J. Bilge

Tax evasion

BS 'best of'

Cheesy WITS ("Edge is on fire" ? No combustion evident)

ZooTV DVD lack of decent extras

The revisionist history prevalent through U2byU2

Milan DVD - WTF ??? Where's the rest of the set ?

Oi'll give that a 4.....

maddyu2 said:
IMO, they're still the best band in the world.

In my opinion too, I guess that means the world isn't in great shape!!
I believe that U2 are the greatest band in the world, doesn't mean that they are the greatest of 06. I think that they have produced the greatest music of any band over the last 30 years, and as they are still together and still relevent, i think that makes them the greatest band in the year. In the same way Bob Dylan is the greatest solo artist.
I just think they could do a lot better.
Although I think that live they are still at the top of their game and WITS is a brilliant song, I HATE the Saints and I hate U218 and I absolutely despise the Mary J BILGE crap. I think that U2 are treading water a bit, they arent tryig their hardest. They CAN produce the best album of their career in 2007, I just hope they do it.

since ATYCLB and Bomb are the U2 albums I've listened to the most by far these last 6 years I don't think they're doing badly

3 for U2 by U2 and ZooTV. Everything else...meh. :shrug: I feel like they are trying too hard these days.

silvrlvr said:
Wow, Green Day backlash!

I don't get it -- what so bad about teaming up with a hot younger band? After all, the Stones can barely walk, Bruce plays to half-filled houses on occasion, the Who can't draw an audience younger than 50. Do we want U2 to end up like them, or to appeal to new fans?

What's worse is that Green Day is not a "younger band". O.K., they are younger than U2. That's like saying they are younger than the Rolling Stones. :sexywink: But given how big of a hit ATYCLB and HTDAAB were (over 7.3M copies of them sold in the U.S. alone), how big "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" were (and a few other songs), how successful U2's last 2 tours were and how they swept all Grammies lately, I think U2's just as "hot" - and they are hot all on their own. If anything, Green Day or Blige teaming with U2 is an attempt to ride more on U2's coattails than the reverse. That said, Green Day and Blige have also had plenty of success on their own. So whey can't we all view this for what it is - some big acts getting together, in one case to produce a charity single? If anyone still doubts U2's charity efforts and good intentions at this point in their careers, then I strongly doubt you are a fan.

As for U2's year... the compilation was unnecessary, but it's obvious it was contract reasons. I have a feeling "U218" may replace the 80's "Best Of" as the greatest hits package to buy on the catalog charts. Plus, U2 at least gave us two new songs on it. They completed a tour, gave us some DVD's and a book. Plus they won tons of Grammies and "Saints" charted higher on the Billboard 100 than any other new song from previous "Best Of" compilations! So overall, a good year. I'd give them a 7.

Back
Top Bottom