Say what you will about PRIDE...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
... but it is a timeless classic! :love: I admit that I skip it sometimes on the Unforgettable Fire, esp. if I feel like listening to the title track or Promenade etc. But as overplayed as it is, it's such a great song! If I start actually listening to it, I can't stop singing along at the top of my lungs and completely getting into the song. Great guitar & bass! Great lyrics, vocals, drums! Everything is perfect about this song. :heart:

:appreciate:

I think the studio version still sounds fresh. Eno/Lanois productions are hermetically sealed or something.

typhoon said:
I think the studio version still sounds fresh. Eno/Lanois productions are hermetically sealed or something.

Yeah I agree..it still sounds fantastic, the wall-of-sound it has is quite Spector-ish, and it hasn't dated like a fair few 80s U2 songs.

Yeah, it's definitely a classic... But due to overkill, it is #2 on my list of songs i wish they'd dump from the set list... #1: Bullet. :slant:

I got sick of it so I just left it a couple of years! Studio version sounds better than ever! Any post Zoo TV live performance just sounds DEAD.

I agree Zoots :up:

When I first got into U2, it was from hearing a string of their 80s classics(WOWY, SBS, Angel Of Harlem), and also Pride. It was among my favorites and still is. The main reason I skip over it when I listen the TUF record is that I just feel that it doesn't fit the vibe of tracks 3-10 and especially 4-10. It feels like a great, catchy, rock song plopped in the middle of an atmospheric masterpiece.

Yeah, it really doesn't fit in with the whole UF atmosphere, does it? :hmm:

And apart from the R&H version which I love, I'm not too thrilled about the live versions in general, esp. not one in the recent past.. like gareth said!

It sounds like a song that's better suited for War, and I think the band has remarked it's the transition song from War -> UF.

I love the album version, but the live versions after Rattle and Hum don't do it for me in bootleg form. When I saw them for the first time last year, I was surprised at the large reception it got and even though it was being played 45476094867 steps down, it still sounded ok to me.

Hot Bono said:
Yeah, it's definitely a classic... But due to overkill, it is #2 on my list of songs i wish they'd dump from the set list... #1: Bullet. :slant:

:up:

I'd much rather see WoWY and Bullet dumped than "Pride" or SBS. Sadly, these 4 songs are not only classics, but play key roles in the theme of this tour. If U2 tour again, I hope they consider either removing these songs - at least for parts of the tour - and adding in some long lost songs that haven't been played enough but are still rather popular.

Even though I like Pride, and UF is one of my top 5 albums, I don't listen to it that often because I feel that hearing and seeing it live isn't the same as the cd. I also love the making of UF on the Slane DVD where Bono is singing in the studio and alone in the castle :drool:

JCOSTER said:
I also love the making of UF on the Slane DVD where Bono is singing in the studio and alone in the castle :drool:

:hmm: I should get that dvd sometime.

VG, if you read this.. by sometime I meant rightaway! :shifty:

JCOSTER said:
Even though I like Pride, and UF is one of my top 5 albums, I don't listen to it that often because I feel that hearing and seeing it live isn't the same as the cd. I also love the making of UF on the Slane DVD where Bono is singing in the studio and alone in the castle :drool:

Spontaneous, free-flowing Bono at his best. I also like how Edge is very genuine and nerdy :nerd:

I've never liked this song much, studio or live. It's not the overplayed thing, because I wasn't around to hear it overplayed and have only been to one concert and everything. I just have never got the song. Even on the album the chorus seems so lame and the vocals kind of forced to me. It was fun to sing along to live, but...ehh.

I definitely prefer SBS. Not the album version because Bono sounds like he has a bad cold, but there are some pretty amazing live versions from all eras, imo. :rockon:

I love the Unforgettable Fire Documentary - is that the one on the Slane Castle DVD?!

Its so cool, seeing Bono with his mullet and Larry looking like a teenager.

I love when Bono is in the studio just belting out the lines. It is incredible. Makes me want to sing it out loud. I love how Adam gets on the couch in the studio and smokes a cigarette and he lays down and stretches out and looks about 7'0 feet tall(im not sure why... how tall is Adam?)

Its very cool.

best thing i love about pride is the live performance on rattle and hum. When Bono gets the whole crowd to do the uh oh ah oh, uh oh ah oh bit the look on his face is priceless, hes totally taken aback with awe. For rev martin luther king...sing... AMAZING. Then he falls down at the end of the song, great stuff. The most pleasurable moment on the DVD. Wait a moment, no thats not the best thing about pride, its the lyrics, when i first heard them I was even more amazed.

VertigoGal said:
I've never liked this song much, studio or live. It's not the overplayed thing, because I wasn't around to hear it overplayed and have only been to one concert and everything. I just have never got the song. Even on the album the chorus seems so lame and the vocals kind of forced to me. It was fun to sing along to live, but...ehh.

I definitely prefer SBS. Not the album version because Bono sounds like he has a bad cold, but there are some pretty amazing live versions from all eras, imo. :rockon:

"Pride" is my all-time favorite song! Not just U2 song, but song period. I highly respect MLK. The song isn't just about MLK, but all martyrs or people who died by trying to change the world for the better. It may be a simple rock song with a chorus, but Bono's passionate vocals (in the studio version) and Edge's guitar work (outstanding use of the delay effect), make the song sound unique and fresh, even today.

Trouble is, when I heard it live, even in the 80's, it just lost something. Bono couldn't sing the song like he did on the album - his voice couldn't handle that night after night. So it was dropped a key. And in doing so, the song just didn't have that passionate oomph I felt it had in the studio.

It's a brilliant song and over the years, often U2 have used it to great effect in concert, talking about MLK or other crucial events or people. For years, audiences have sang along without any prompting to the "oh, oh-oh, oh" ending. But, as I wrote, even in the 80's, the song lost something live that U2 were able to capture in the studio. They tried to make it come alive and to some extent it has, but IMO, it is one of the few songs that isn't as good in concert as it is on the album, even if it is easy to play. One main reason is that it's nearly impossible for Bono to reproduce his vocals.

WoWY in the 80's was brilliant in concert as Bono not only added an extra verse, but had the vocals to match. But come ZOO TV, it seemed that even Bono was tired of that song and a shortened version was played. I've felt the song has lacked the passion U2 had for it in the late 80's ever since. At times on this tour, it really seemed Bono was going through the motions on WoWY - one of the few songs I can say that about. It may be time for an extended WoWY break.

Over the years, "Bullet" has transformed quite a bit, from the scorching anti-U.S. song of the 80's, to the anti-gun song of the Elevation tour. But while it's meaning is open, I guess I've just never been a huge fan of the song and wouldn't mind seeing it take a much needed break from the setlist. It's open interpretation has made it a great song for U2 to keep in their tours, but after 18 years of hearing it live, it's time for a break.

SBS was a welcome addition after being gone for most of the 90's. Bono once said he'd never sing the song again, but apparently something caused him to change his mind as SBS returned in all its glory in the Elevation tour. So for a decade, the version we heard in the 80's was gone. As such, I'm still happy hearing SBS. However, even this can only last so long.

Bottom line is that U2 have a ton of hit or at least very popular songs in their catalog that they can pull out. Who wouldn't love to hear "One Tree Hill", "In God's Country", "Unforgettable Fire", "A Sort of a Homecoming", "Angel of Harlem", "Gloria", "Even Better Than...", "Mofo" or a plethora of other U2 songs? Hearing SBS, WoWY, "Pride", "Bullet", NYD and other classic staples is great. But I feel some mixing should be done and that some of these classics could take a more extended break.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

"Pride" is my all-time favorite song! Not just U2 song, but song period. I highly respect MLK. The song isn't just about MLK, but all martyrs or people who died by trying to change the world for the better.

I always had in mind that the song was originally about the death of Jesus ("one man betrayed by a kiss"). But its true what you say, it is for all martyrs as it incorporates MLK as well "Shot rings out in the memphis sky"). When i first got into U2 I was sure a lot of the songs were about the spiritual figurehead but over the years its become more evident that many of the songs are dedicated to lots of respectable people and respectable ideas, not just Christ and spiritual ideas.

first song I ever heard by U2. I still get pumped when I hear it.

I was at a relatives christening yesterday and at the restaurant my brother in law had a playlist going on his ipod over the speakers. He played Pride specifically for me:yes:

Back
Top Bottom