Saving spots in the GA line?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shygirl

Acrobat
I have two friends that weren't able to take off work to get in line early for Friday's show... I was just wondering if anybody has been able to save spots for people who are coming later in the day to line up???

Maybe if it is one person and they're going to be there within the hour, I would say fine. But more than that, I'd say no.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

This isn't 100% true. If you are saving a spot for 5 people, then people will be upset. But if you are saving a spot for one person (*maybe* two) then this shouldn't be a problem. When you get in line, write all THREE numbers on your hand and the names of all three people in the book. This way, people know that you have accounted for those three spots.

When I was at the Boston 4 show, I saw people save spots in lives for their spouses or friends. Not everyone can wait outside all day. I just think it becomes an issue when one person saves a spot for a lot of other people.

just make sure to point and laugh at the ones who just miss out

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I agree - I think it's fine as long as it's not more than one person.

Saved a place in line for my mate in London because she was bringing my lunch! But as we went for the tip we didn't take anyone's place in the heart - and she stood behind me instead of on the rail.
AZZANGEL.gif

Holding a spot for 1 person that arrives in a reasonable time frame (ie early afternoon) shouldn't be that big of a deal. More than that or later is a big deal.

It really isnt fair that someone is allowed to essentially cut in line while others who have paid the price waiting are behind them. I know that everyone cant wait outside all day but that is life and I think it is rude for someone to come late in the day expect to be ahead of those that waited all day. There was a girl at the 2nd Chicago show that showed up at 4pm and said she deserved to be up front because she paid $300 for her ticket and she had to work all day?? This after the rest of us had been there in the freezing cold since 5am. How is that fair or right? She was not allowed in by the line police or The United Center security. This is a similiar principal really.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 10-29-2001).]

Originally posted by Shygirl:
I have two friends that weren't able to take off work to get in line early for Friday's show... I was just wondering if anybody has been able to save spots for people who are coming later in the day to line up???

If they bring a few dozen pizzas or a 100-foot sub, they might be able to get in.

I'll be at the Philly show.......and I'll be watching out for you.
smile.gif

When I was in line at Baltimore, a guy showed up at 6:30 as the line started to move. He tried to sneak in unnoticed in front of some girls just up ahead of me. I actually had to grab him by the arm and tell him to back up. I felt bad about doing that, but I guess I shouldn't have because he really should have gone to the back of the line.

Anyway, hope to see you there, shygirl.

I was at MSG 3 on Saturday at 11 am. I got a number for me and my friend who didn't arrive until 5:30- no one seemed to mind (at least they acted pleasant!). I made sure I was up front with everyone aound me from the get go. I don't think I would have tried it for more than one person. And my friend was prepared to get at the end of the line if the people around me were uncomfortable with the idea.

Thanks to everyone who was so understanding! I had sooo much fun!

I'm sorry, But when people take the time and effort to get off work and wait outside in cold weather either overnight or starting in the early morning, than do not deserve to have their efforts trashed by people saving spots in line! Thats just simply not fair. I'll be at the Philly show and all my friends will be in the LINE! Were not saving spaces for anyone, not even one person! You let one slip, the next thing you know you'll have a flood! Everyone wants to be in the heart on this leg, and only those that take the time and effort to do so deserve to be. That person you save a spot for will make #300 #301 and that person will not get into the heart when they probably had been out there all day!
So with all due respect, don't do it, and show respect for the people near the 300 mark that have been out there all day and even the night or early morning! I'm coming with 6 people, will be there early and on the lookout!
Good luck and have a great time!

STING

The only hole in this theory, of course, is that the fan numbered line system is at best a tentative arrangement with the various venues. When they don't want or care to honor it, this system becomes immaterial. At MSG 10/24 the GA line worked fantastic because of a diligent security coordinator.

The next night was a mess, as you've probably read on the recent threads. The other GA line I was in 10/29 NJ was a complete disaster. The entire line collapsed when security showed up at the fence gates, because there was another line forming, and they said the number system had not been cleared by them, so it meant nothing. They opened up three gates, so people entered in a random fashion. It was like trying to catch the last helicopter out of Saigon.

So, while I don't like the idea of saving spots for people who aren't going to be there, keep in mind that security that night determines the outcome. Try to be in communication with them as much as possible.
Good luck and enjoy your show.

Actually from what I hear, especially for Philly last time, the security only opens one gate. Thats what happened at both shows in DC, the latest one in Baltimore, Columbus, and Pittsburgh. Thats really been the standard. Anything can happen though of course. There was a rumor of a lottery system at one point. From what I hear though, security wants nothing to do with it and your better off getting a mass of people to follow certain rules and restrain the few that don't. The guy from Baltimore I think had line Police set up. Be alert and take action when needed and make sure enough people are board to restrain line violaters and I think things will work.

MOST of the venues have used only one gate. There have been screw ups along the way but one gate is the norm.

The numbering system is almost never done officially by the venue. It is fans policing themselves. There are very few people who are going to go against a mob of 300 fans chanting for them to go to the back of the line. Some venues even except the numbering system. In Chicago, security there semi-enforced it.

Most U2 fans are reasonable/fair people and if you have a numbering system set up (even if it is by fans only) most will abide by it. I agree though saving spots for more than one person or letting someone in the line late in the afternoon is just wrong and not fair to those that waited all day.

Good luck to the rest of you GA'rs. I'am almost kind of glad I'am done stressing about it (at least for this tour).
smile.gif

Okay guys, I was just asking the question.. My friends are more than willing to wait at the end of the line when they get there.. Not a problem! I just thought I would see if there was anyway thats all...They aren't even as much of U2 freaks as me, I just thought it would be nice for us all to be together...
So everybody just relax, I won't be trying to get anybody in line that day!

I'd like to take a moment to thank the wonderful people that saved my spot and the spots of my 3 friends in the GA line for the 4th Boston show while we went to Hooters... twice!

Awesome day... awesome show!

Be kind, save a spot for your neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom