Saving spots in the GA line????? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2001, 07:20 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:16 PM
I'm sorry, But when people take the time and effort to get off work and wait outside in cold weather either overnight or starting in the early morning, than do not deserve to have their efforts trashed by people saving spots in line! Thats just simply not fair. I'll be at the Philly show and all my friends will be in the LINE! Were not saving spaces for anyone, not even one person! You let one slip, the next thing you know you'll have a flood! Everyone wants to be in the heart on this leg, and only those that take the time and effort to do so deserve to be. That person you save a spot for will make #300 #301 and that person will not get into the heart when they probably had been out there all day!
So with all due respect, don't do it, and show respect for the people near the 300 mark that have been out there all day and even the night or early morning! I'm coming with 6 people, will be there early and on the lookout!
Good luck and have a great time!

STING

Old 10-29-2001, 09:40 PM   #17
The Fly

The only hole in this theory, of course, is that the fan numbered line system is at best a tentative arrangement with the various venues. When they don't want or care to honor it, this system becomes immaterial. At MSG 10/24 the GA line worked fantastic because of a diligent security coordinator.

The next night was a mess, as you've probably read on the recent threads. The other GA line I was in 10/29 NJ was a complete disaster. The entire line collapsed when security showed up at the fence gates, because there was another line forming, and they said the number system had not been cleared by them, so it meant nothing. They opened up three gates, so people entered in a random fashion. It was like trying to catch the last helicopter out of Saigon.

So, while I don't like the idea of saving spots for people who aren't going to be there, keep in mind that security that night determines the outcome. Try to be in communication with them as much as possible.
Good luck and enjoy your show.

Old 10-29-2001, 10:34 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Actually from what I hear, especially for Philly last time, the security only opens one gate. Thats what happened at both shows in DC, the latest one in Baltimore, Columbus, and Pittsburgh. Thats really been the standard. Anything can happen though of course. There was a rumor of a lottery system at one point. From what I hear though, security wants nothing to do with it and your better off getting a mass of people to follow certain rules and restrain the few that don't. The guy from Baltimore I think had line Police set up. Be alert and take action when needed and make sure enough people are board to restrain line violaters and I think things will work.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:41 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:16 PM
MOST of the venues have used only one gate. There have been screw ups along the way but one gate is the norm.

The numbering system is almost never done officially by the venue. It is fans policing themselves. There are very few people who are going to go against a mob of 300 fans chanting for them to go to the back of the line. Some venues even except the numbering system. In Chicago, security there semi-enforced it.

Most U2 fans are reasonable/fair people and if you have a numbering system set up (even if it is by fans only) most will abide by it. I agree though saving spots for more than one person or letting someone in the line late in the afternoon is just wrong and not fair to those that waited all day.

Good luck to the rest of you GA'rs. I'am almost kind of glad I'am done stressing about it (at least for this tour).
Old 10-30-2001, 06:24 AM   #20
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Okay guys, I was just asking the question.. My friends are more than willing to wait at the end of the line when they get there.. Not a problem! I just thought I would see if there was anyway thats all...They aren't even as much of U2 freaks as me, I just thought it would be nice for us all to be together...
So everybody just relax, I won't be trying to get anybody in line that day!
Old 10-30-2001, 12:39 PM   #21
Babyface

I'd like to take a moment to thank the wonderful people that saved my spot and the spots of my 3 friends in the GA line for the 4th Boston show while we went to Hooters... twice!

Awesome day... awesome show!

Be kind, save a spot for your neighbor.
Old 10-30-2001, 01:21 PM   #22
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 12:16 PM
~

------------------
My time amongst you is almost at an end