Saturday Night & U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MBH

Acrobat
Was at an night club this past Saturday night in NYC. It is an 80's club("Culture Club," anybody ever been there?) that highlights music and trends from the beloved decade of decadance. Just as I was about to head toward the door, what did I hear? Back-to-back songs by the boys. I decided to delay my exit just as I heard a thunderous version of Pride and NYDay. The crowd(which is one of the more fun and less pretentious in NYC) went into a frenzy and sing-along just as the songs blared from the loud speakers. It was a great way to end the night.
As I left, I realized that I was drunk, no really, I realized that U2(and Madonna) were the only artists that were played the whole night that are still relevant today and that people still enjoy--that is a good feeling...just wanted to share this story with some people who might appreciate it.

The 80's are my favorite decade for music. What is the exact address of that club? My friends want to take me out for my birthday next Sat and I haven't figured out a place to go yet.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 03-25-2002).]

Originally posted by ericb:
The 80's are my favorite decade for music. What is the exact address of that club? My friends want to take me out for my birthday next Sat and I haven't figured out a place to go yet.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 03-25-2002).]

I believe the address is 201 Varick Street. It is right down the road from Houston and Varick. Look for the blue awning with the big yellow pac-man side on the outside. The cover price is $20. It is a great place for birthday parties and bachelorette parties.
If you show proof that it is your birthday on the day that you go to Culture Club, you receive free admission.

Happy Birthday!!!

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 03-25-2002).]

Cool story MBH, thanks for sharing
smile.gif
I have a deejay friend who promotes parties only with 80's songs once in awhile. He said that any U2 song is always a huge success.

Sorry but I must add Bon Jovi to the list of 80's stars who are still successful. Whether or not you like them, they did have a very popular album recently and sold out exactly the same arenas across the country last year that U2 did on the Elevation Tour. I know you're going to say their music is fluff and not 'relevant' but before you do, take another look and listen to Madonna. That's not exactly relevant either. Maybe U2 are the ONLY ones!

Originally posted by Autumn454:
Sorry but I must add Bon Jovi to the list of 80's stars who are still successful. Whether or not you like them, they did have a very popular album recently and sold out exactly the same arenas across the country last year that U2 did on the Elevation Tour. I know you're going to say their music is fluff and not 'relevant' but before you do, take another look and listen to Madonna.

That's not exactly relevant either. Maybe U2 are the ONLY ones!

Very good point....I agree with everything that you said.....I inadvertently forgot to mention Bon Jovi....you could also mention REM, but that have turned their backs on popular culture(that's ok I guess, I still enjoy them)....Madonna is more about popculture and fashion than progressive music...would you agree?

Man, I wish there were some 80s clubs around here! No one even has "80s Night" anymore. Major bummer.

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

Listen to Madonna's Ray Of Light album. That album was brilliant. There's a lot of good rock and techno stuff on there. It got the Grammy nomination for album of the year in 1999, so I wouldn't say she isn't relevant. Although the last album Music I think she slipped a bit. Kind of reminded me of Pop. It starts out with 3 dance songs, and then comes all these serious acoustic guitar type songs. Just like Pop has the 3 dance songs to start and then the music shifts.

Originally posted by MBH:
Very good point....I agree with everything that you said.....I inadvertently forgot to mention Bon Jovi....you could also mention REM, but that have turned their backs on popular culture(that's ok I guess, I still enjoy them)....Madonna is more about popculture and fashion than progressive music...would you agree?

Yes, I agree about Madonna, and good point about REM. I admire REM very much for doing what *THEY* like and want and not trying to turn themselves into something they aren't or capitalize on any fads to try to be 'popular'. I hated kids like that in high school and I hate to see artists do that.
REM are successful enough to be confident in themselves and their work and have nothing to prove. U2 at this point have nothing to prove either, and I only hope the next album will be what they are really thinking and feeling and wanting to do, and not something they feel obligated to try. They are good enough as what they are!

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Back
Top Bottom