SATS - New Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
david said:
Okay, I will just get the comparison out of the way. I think I'll join the "I like the original better" club. Sorry, what can I say? I think the original is better.

But on it's own, I think the new version is nice. It's cool to hear different versions of song, to me this just sounds like a really good demo version of the song.

The thing missing from this song is the cool break after "I left in the duty free, she never really belonged to me." in the original.

Oh yeah, does it sound, to anyone else, like Bono re-sang and re-recorded the vocals for this song recently?
No, it doesn't sound like a different lead vocal take to me. The only difference I hear in the vocal is the backing falsetto harmony by Edge, and Bono's extension at the very end (which may have just been cut out in the original version anyway).

Zoomerang96 said:

*drools

that would be waay too cool.

but then surely you agree with me or at least share my frustration that on the elevation tour they destroyed the song by playing it accousitically. that song is all about the atmosphere and the way all three musicians come together. i mean adam's bass line is as good as it ever has been, mullens drumming is lovely, and edges guitar is as good as anything on pop.

man that is such a good song...
Zoomer - I totally agree with you. Though I could see the merits of the stripped down version (given the atmosphere of post 9/11 at the time), I still think, musically speaking, the original was much more dynamic. Yes, I agree with you also that the drumming, the bass, and the lead guitar is exceptional. U2 weren't kidding when they said, back when Pop was released, that 'Please' was one of the most complex pieces of music they'd ever created. I still feel the album version is superior to the single remix (3 posts later, and I still haven't changed my mind! haha), but the live version is more powerful on a grand scale than any of them. The subtlety and deep corosiveness of the album version gets me every time though. There's just something so haunting about that distance coming at you, and then right through you on the album.

I remember first hearing that song on the car radio, not knowing it was U2. I thought it was some cheap rip off of Bono's vocal style by some unknown artist. Bono's voice all processed and congested the way it is on that track - and I literally had to pull over when I heard this singer start to utter, "Please, please..." as I knew there was a new U2 song called 'Please'. It was a great moment.

I happen to like the acoustic version of Please...I just think the emotive content of it is different than the previous versions. The studio/single mixes (and eventual live takes) have always been to me very urgent, very intense...almost as an inevitable warning to things to come, and the plea to stop. The acoustic version was heartbreakingly beautiful, and with the lyrics, was somewhat of a sobering reflection on events (namely, 9/11) along with a cry for help...Both are great interpretations, I myself just find different feelings through both.

I didn't care too much for the acoustic version of Please either. Though when Bruce played piano at one of the shows it sounded a little better.

My favorite version of Please was at the 1997 VMA's. Edge's dirty guitar really won me over.

I will agree though that the POP version has the most passion.

BTW, I'm suprised that the 3 other remixed songs haven't showed up on the net too. Or was SATS the only remixed song on the promo single?

to download or not to download...
that waiting nearly killed me last time

personally I have always loved POP. I think this new version is interesting but not even close to the orginal version. IMO opinion I do think U2 can sometimes work a song to its detriment. I like the DEMO of Electrical Storm the best, I like the album version of Please, LNOE, and IGWSHA better than the singles versions and I really felt this way with some of the songs on the Salome Sessions/Achtung Baby Outtakes Bootleg; especially Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. The previous incarnations of this song on the the Salome Sessions/Achting Baby Outtakes I liked better than what ended up on the album. I also have read a quote from Daniel Lanois about how he feels an earlier version of Walk On was much better than what ended up on ATYCLB.

However, I will say thatbeing the die hard fan that I am it is always great to hear a different take on songs that I aready love, but that doesn;t mean they will ever usurp them.

One thought about Please; IMO opinion it is the best song off POP, and one of my all-time favorites. The Elevation Tour versions were great but I was really disappointed when they didn't play it full band especially since it was so perfect for the social and political atmosphere post 9/11. In fact they didn't even play it until half way through the third leg. I am really upset it will not be included on the Best of...

Last edited:
Well this version of the Staring at the Sun has lost its youth.Thats all I can say now.

The album version was like a child jumping from his seat and looking at the sun, this one is a mature man sitting on Sunday afternoon looking at the sun.The song has aged in a true sense of a word.

I prefer youth.I liked the ambiguity and how odd it sounded with the melody..I think I prefer confusion over calm.

I?m going to wait for a higher than 128 mp3 before I form an opinion on the new mix of SATS. Interesting discussion on Please. I?m curious to find out people?s opinions regarding the best live ? full band ? performance of Please ? We?re fortunate to have at least 4 soundboard versions ? Sarajevo - MTV Awards ? Please EP / Rotterdam ? and PopMart Mexico but maybe there?s another performance on a boot that is better ? Also ? what would be the best acoustic performance of Please from the Elevation Tour ?

Please from Tel-Aviv is the best version for me..and Streets after it is amazing with all the techno shite, it really blows my mind..and my ears!!
This version of Please sounds so different from the other Soundboards you mentioned.

SATS..well I can't download from either of the 2 sites..damnit!!!!

After hearing the new SATS, I have to say that I prefer the old. Although, I must profess, it's never been one of my favs anyway...
Interesting though, I've always preferred the album version of please over the single remix. The single is too polished (with the strings and all...) The album version is raw, edgy... much like the song itself... Bono's tired of the fighting, he wants to be left out of it, the ragged, raw, desperate nature of the album version suits the song so well. IMO, it's not meant to be a "pretty song" adorned with strings and guitar solo... However, once they performed it live, the rawness returned, giving Please its teeth back... The acoustic version to me, sounds like the aftermath of it all, kind of like the last man standing, Bono pleading to be left out of the mess, after the mess has already consumed itself and destroyed all in its wake (yes, I realize this didn't actually happen...).

I'm not sure if I like this mix better, it's just nice to have something different. Really like Edge backing though. Sounds to me like Bono had a cold when he recorded this, there's a few points where he sounds really stuffy/nasally. Poor baby!

Got the new mix a few days back......

They butchered a classic. To me, it sounds like all of the weird sounds and such from the original are gone. Now, it's just a rather dull tune.

I don't know what to think. I like the remix, even if the quality of the mp3 is not that good, maybe I should wait to hear it in best quality to talk about it, but anyway, I still prefer the Pop version, it was great like it was :heart: Then we have also the acoustic version, wich is great. This remix, for me, in some parts is a mix of both versions, with some new added things. Well, they always felt the song was unfinished, so maybe now we have the song they really wanted to do :yes:

U2Soar said:
I?m going to wait for a higher than 128 mp3 before I form an opinion on the new mix of SATS. Interesting discussion on Please. I?m curious to find out people?s opinions regarding the best live ? full band ? performance of Please ? We?re fortunate to have at least 4 soundboard versions ? Sarajevo - MTV Awards ? Please EP / Rotterdam ? and PopMart Mexico but maybe there?s another performance on a boot that is better ? Also ? what would be the best acoustic performance of Please from the Elevation Tour ?

If you've never heard "Please" from Popmart Sarajevo then you've never truly experienced the song. An amazing performance that blows all others out of the water.

-[z]-

I hate the new version - they butchered a classic

What the hell is wrong with U2. I hate this apologetic bull$hit attitude that the've taken with their most artistically creative period. Unbelievable?!!!?! The new version of SATS is soo boring, it drags, it's been dumbed down. Give me a break. I'm scared to hear what they've done to the other songs. I'm really disappointed in U2. Catering to the MTV/VH1 bull$hit crow. PJ Harvey was right when she said that U2 lost their edge during the last tour. It's like the've been castrated by the critics and all those hypocrited who love POP and then turned their backs on it because it was not as popular. :madspit:

I think the creative powerful band that was U2 during the 90's is lost forever.

Is it just me or is it going to be kind of boring to have Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) and the new mix of SATS on the same album? They sound rather alike to my ears with the acoustical sounding bits and such.

I'm surprised at the negative reactions I'm seeing...how has the song had the life leeched out of it? Its the same tempo, but with added effects that (in my opinion) enhance the song, especially the ending. Also, the backing vocals enhance the song substantially. If I was to rank the orginial and the new one, these would be my marks:

original SATS: 8/10 Remix: 9/10

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Staring At The Sun was the song that brought U2 to my attention.

So far I've heard the new mix which I downloaded via the link in this thread.

In my irrelevant opinion it sounds too quiet and dull. Rather empty compared to the original version - I think I'll stick with that one myself. It was more vibrant and interesting. Its got the sounds which stimulates memories from the time it was released. All that's gone in the new mix...

JimmyChicken said:
Staring At The Sun was the song that brought U2 to my attention.

In my irrelevant opinion it sounds too quiet and dull. Rather empty compared to the original version

Remember that the sound quality of this mp3 isn't that great...the proper version on the Best-Of will sound clearer and louder.:yes: :drool:

it's ok, sounds like your typical remix to me, I don't like the new vocals, not sure if they were re-sung or harmonized or spliced new and old, but whatever they don't have the same edgy feel to me, sound almost too mellow for this song, very uninspiring to me, new drum track is rather bland, I do like the little extra guitar bits added towards the middle and end, but it's not enough

Where to download NEW SATS mix?

Any website where I can download it? Anywhere except New Media which I can't seem to get to work.

Cheers

J

It's been turned into an ATYCLB track. The music is lower, Bono's more to the forefront, and the sounds are gone. On it's own, I like it very much. But as a representation of U2 in the 90s, it doesn't feel right. And the original was more interesting (to me)

Whats The Story? said:

Remember that the sound quality of this mp3 isn't that great...the proper version on the Best-Of will sound clearer and louder.:yes: :drool:

Yes, that is a valid point, however I don't think that will help in my situation. The new mix lacks the substance of the original. It was pyshcodelic and surreal, the new one is just plain.

I love it!

Much better than the original mix. The chorus part where Bono sings and Edge does backing harmonies has a very Bon Jovi feel to it - kinda like how Sambora complement's Jon Bon Jovi's vocals. This is what should have been on the POP album.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Back
Top Bottom