sampling: can this happen to U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
yesterday I heard one of Eminem's new tracks, and it used Aerosmith's "Dream On" as a sample (it was basically Eminem rapping over the music, however, it also included Steven Tyler singing the refrain, which leads me to believe that Aerosmith gave their full (or fool) backing)

now, with the rampant sampling that goes on in the world of rap and hip hop, what are the guidelines for this? it would make me sick to my stomach if I turned on the radio one day and heard someone like Eminem or Jay-Z rapping about hate or about "bitches" out to get them or about their posses, etc., to the tune of "Pride" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

does anyone know what the deal is with this?

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
yesterday I heard one of Eminem's new tracks, and it used Aerosmith's "Dream On" as a sample (it was basically Eminem rapping over the music, however, it also included Steven Tyler singing the refrain, which leads me to believe that Aerosmith gave their full (or fool) backing)

now, with the rampant sampling that goes on in the world of rap and hip hop, what are the guidelines for this? it would make me sick to my stomach if I turned on the radio one day and heard someone like Eminem or Jay-Z rapping about hate or about "bitches" out to get them or about their posses, etc., to the tune of "Pride" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

dont know mate.. but I heard similar rap on top of "every breathe you take" - the police and it made me sick too

ah yes, P-Diddy, the queen of sampling...

again though, it wouldn't surprise me if Sting gave permission for that, since he later performed it onstage with him at the MTV VMAs, so he certainly wasn't sore about it, but it basically ruined the song for me

as far as I know samples need to be cleared by whoever own the rights to the song

so whoever owns the right to that Aerosmith song (probably Aerosmith themselves) must have thought this was a good idea

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

again though, it wouldn't surprise me if Sting gave permission for that, since he later performed it onstage with him at the MTV VMAs, so he certainly wasn't sore about it, but it basically ruined the song for me

That was "The Police" song. Its a shame it split but I believe the best from Sting came during his association with that band.

Originally posted by AcrobatMan:
That was "The Police" song. Its a shame it split but I believe the best from Sting came during his association with that band.

I agree. I'm not into his solo stuff NEARLY as much!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

From what I've heard, anyone can sample any piece of music, without getting into copywrite infringment, as long as it's a 5 second (or less) sample. I believe that's why Enya, for example, was able to sample 'Ultraviolet' by U2 without giving credit to U2 (or at least not to my knowledge -- anyone know if she gave credit?). Anyway, U2 are masters of this themselves. From what I've read -- and Bono even has said this -- Pop, for example, is filled with samples, and I don't recall seeing much in the way of credit for them.

------------------
The Tempest

this is true Michael, at least for "Do You Feel Loved," check out the mp3 of "Alien Groove Sensation," which is labeled as but is not really a remix of DYFL, but instead the original version of the music by an artist whom escapes me at the moment

Not forgetting that its already been done kinda. I have the Musique Vs New years Day Dub which wasn't a U2 release and therefore not a remix of NYD.
It says they had permission for that. It depends on how well its all done really I guess.
I love the Chicane song Saltwater which uses the sample from Clannad's The Theme from Harry's Game. It depends on who's using the sample.
P Diddy can't even make a decision on a name, so how the hell is he supposed to actually make his own music?

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk

*Last Train to Bono*

I agree, Manda -- P. Diddy should have kept "Puffy". Oh well.

I have to make a correction: it wasn't Enya who sampled 'Ultraviolet', it was Enigma. Sorry, Enya
smile.gif

------------------
The Tempest

Wanderer,

Yes, I have heard that about DYFL. However, I can see the "rules" bending a little for electronic dance music, as it's very common in that genre to sample, and even share. It's part of the "club culture," the DJ culture.

------------------
The Tempest

Amanda,

I can't remember off hand which song, but it was off a soundtrack. There is an album version, too (the same album that 'Return To Innocence' is from), but the album version doesn't contain the sample. The sample is really cool -- the very beginning, very spacey (with the female voice segment) part of 'Ultraviolet'. I'll try and figure it out for you...
smile.gif

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Amanda,

I can't remember off hand which song, but it was off a soundtrack. There is an album version, too (the same album that 'Return To Innocence' is from), but the album version doesn't contain the sample. The sample is really cool -- the very beginning, very spacey (with the female voice segment) part of 'Ultraviolet'. I'll try and figure it out for you...
smile.gif

The sample is on the album version as well.
smile.gif

LMAO at queen of sampling..
I saw Sting on VH1 last year discussing that actually. If I remember correctly, he said he wasn't sure at first, and he thought it would be a very odd song with Puffy doing it. But he gave in and to show a gesture of support he performed it with them.

Anyway..
I think Salome is right -- whoever holds the copyright has to approve it, and I highly doubt Bono or *anyone* in the band giving permission to Eminem or anyone very questionable. Still kind of worrying however.
tongue.gif

------------------
"I dance much better horizontally than vertically." - Bono

Popheart.org

Thanks and crap and all-
If I start seeing U2 sampled into this shit(e), I will get violent

U2 are very protective of their image and music. If they ademendt enough to not let certain songs be exploited in tv commercials I think they are smart enough not to lend some one hit wonder rapper sample a U2 song so he can lay his phat ryhmes down on them, while repeating his name over and over again and letting us know he is back, all because he really lacks musical talent.

Because sadly that's what it is all about, your cars, your "ice", how many hoes you know, how many times you can say your own name in a damn song.

okay it's obvious, I don't like rap. least some of it anyways.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Anyway, U2 are masters of this themselves. From what I've read -- and Bono even has said this -- Pop, for example, is filled with samples, and I don't recall seeing much in the way of credit for them.

I don't think this is true. Maybe U2 didn't give credit to ALL the samples they used, but on my liner notes for "Pop" there are quite a few credits given for the songs they did use.

The Playboy Mansion "borrows" that warped main riff and guitar plucking from the Byrds' You Showed Me.

Pop sample credits are given by the song lyrics throughout the Pop lyric book.

Discotheque
Contains sample from "Fane" performed by Freeform and written by Simon Pike. Courtesy of Skam Records.

Do You Feel Loved
Inspiration from Naked Funk.

Last Night On Earth
Contains excerpts from "Trayra Boia" written by N Vasconcelos and D Milan, published by Nana's Music(GEMA) performed by Colin Walcott, Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell courtest of ECM Records/BMG Classics. Used by permission.

The Playboy Mansion
Contains excerpts from "You Showed Me" written by G Clark and R McGuinn, published by Gene Clark/Bug Music and Tickson Music(BMI). Used by permission.

Wake Up Dead Man
Contains excerpts from "Besrodna Nevesta" written by Nikolai lankov Kaoufmane, published by Disques Cellier (SUISA) and performed by Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares, courtesy of 4AD Records(UK and Eire) and Disques Cellier (R.O.W)

from scarzz the d j
biggrin.gif
@u

Ah alas a classic U2 song ALREADY HAS been sampled, and is gaining a lot of airplay recently on the r&b charts. I'm talking of course of Craig David's latest single "Walking Away." The non U2 psychopath (everyone who doesn't post on this site) may not recognize it at first, but any of us will instantly recognize the riff as being the one that actually saved U2 from breaking up back in the early 90's... One. In fact, there's actually even a remix of the song featuring lyrics from One sung by our ol' pal Bono of course. Check it out if ya haven't already.

Back
Top Bottom