same era...which do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm.... hard to choose... on one hand, Slane doesn't have The Fly or In a Little While. On the other hand, however, we get AIWIY and Out of Control... I know lots of people hate the Boston DVD (im not sure if that's simply because of Hamish though), but I'm going to have to say I prefer it over Slane. Simply because of the setlist, because Slane's performance was def. better.

Has to be Slane for me, I just think the band give a much stronger performance. Plus there really is the sense of an event about the gig, the electricity and anticipation running through the crowd is tangible. This is one of the reasons why I've never been too keen on the Boston 01 or Chicago 05 shows because they feel too enclosed and small-scale, I just don't get that feeling of occassion from them. The atmosphere at Slane is brilliant, you get dramatic moments, euphoric moments, light-hearted moments, fun moments and moving moments. The relationship between band and audience really seemed to gel. Plus BD, NYD, Kite, AIWIY and Streets are all superb.

Boston, no question. Slane is the least watched DVD in my collection.

Slane pros: Better editing, not as much jerky camera work. Songwise, the inclusion of Angel of Harlem and All I Want Is You, and a great version of One.

Slane cons: Out of Control--worst version of this song I've ever heard. Bullet the Blue Sky doesn't really pack the punch that the "mark chapman" ending had at Boston. Streets was an average version at best, in my opinion.

Boston pros: Until the End of the World--incredible version. Kite--it sounds a bit rougher than Slane, but I personally think the roughness adds more emotion. Gone :rockon:, the inclusion of New York (came across better filmed than in person IMO). Great version of I Will Follow (minus the stupid talking in the middle of the song...way to ruin the momentum, just like OOC Slane). Great version of In A Little While, beautiful version of Stay, my favorite version of Bad, fantastic version of Streets... The Fly :rockon:, still my favorite version of the song.

Boston Cons: terrible editing in places. SBS was pretty weak. Stuck was pretty weak. WOWY--very weak until the end of the song.

So basically--I just think that Boston had a more unique setlist which rocked. The Slane gig was a much more bland, boring setlist. Maybe if I'd ever been to an outdoor U2 concert I'd feel different. Outdoor concerts just seem so distant, not like the intimacy you get in an arena.

Don't like either: U2's worst tour by far, toppled by two average nights for that tour and an atrocious director.

Slane cons: Out of Control--worst version of this song I've ever heard.

I completely disagree. Bono completely saves the song; his vocals are great and I genuinely enjoyed his band member introductions. It is a notch too slow and the band seems a bit sloppy, but it has an emotional edge to it that pulls its ass out of the fire.

Edge changes the riff, it's too slow ... I tend to agree that it's one of the worst versions of it ever. Then again, most songs played on Elevation were the worst versions of those songs.

A Sort Of Homecoming from those gigs was pretty horrific. Can't remember if that was at Slane 1 or Slane 2 offhand.

Slane. In spite of all the imperfections, it has the better atmsophere and it is a very emotional show. I cried when I watched Slane for the very first time. I like Boston, too, but Slane, that's just ... U2 Go Home.

I definitely think Slane 2001 is the best U2 concert DVD (this is not counting Rattle & Hum).

Boston is all right -- the usual professionalism and spirited performance -- but the director is awful, Bono's voice is scratchy and weak, and Bono's stage-patter is hammy and gets on my nerves. I do absolutely love one track on the Boston DVD: "Stay (Faraway So Close)". That was the first time I heard the all-acoustic version, and Bono and Edge really elevate themselves (no pun intended) to deliver the song in a sublime rendition. That easily beats all the acoustic tracks at Slane...

However, Slane is much the better video of the two. The basic but satisfying camera-work is excellent, Bono's voice is dynamite, the stage-patter is toned down and isn't cheesy, there's an extra emotional committment since it's in Ireland and shortly after Bono's father passed; in addition, what I really like at Slane is the "looseness" the band has in front of the already won-over home audience. They're relaxed and enjoying it, not just 'putting on a show' as at Boston.

Also, Slane has, for me, the definitive live rendition of "One" -- I've never heard Bono sing it better and Edge's solo is heartbreaking.

Final Score: Slane 1, Boston 0

Slane. It moves me close to tears every time I watch or listen to it. The All I Want Is You / Streets transition is the most incredible moment U2 have on film, IMO. I also LOVE Out Of Control at Slane, and, I know I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoy accoustic Desire. One was also amazing. Edge's solo was mindblowing. I just love the vibe of the concert so much! I know the setlist is pretty average, but the songs are all played brilliantly, and the X factor is incredible.

I think I prefer the Slane DVD, they seem looser and more interesting. However the Boston DVD has the best performance of Gone and an amazing performance of The Fly.

Both Boston and Slane are incredible, but I prefer Slane. All I want is you followed by Where the streets have no name is amazing. And the crowd is so into it. I wished I was there!

Sorry, I can't access youtube on my work computer (and no internet access at home).

Is that the Slane version of OOC? If so, I've already mentioned in this thread that I believe the Slane OOC to be the worst version of that song I've ever heard. It just lacks energy being that it's slowed down. Compare that to the version from the June 9, 2001 bootleg that actually has intensity...

Back
Top Bottom