same era...which do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a point where emotion just doesn't make up for weak performances.

The Elevation Tour (as well as the first leg of Popmart) falls into that category.

Is that the Slane version of OOC? If so, I've already mentioned in this thread that I believe the Slane OOC to be the worst version of that song I've ever heard. It just lacks energy being that it's slowed down. Compare that to the version from the June 9, 2001 bootleg that actually has intensity...

Then what will you say if I told you that it was the Slane version of the song that sold me into liking the song in the first place!? :wink: I've never been a huge fan of the album version. I don't know why. I think maybe the singing style or something. But at Slane, Bono sang the song so beautifully! Especially the wooooooah's at the end of the chorus! :love:

idk if im the only one here that thinks this but... slane is the better one because of Streets.

All I Want Is You --> Streets, best version =] except for the rattle and hum one.. that was awesome too.

Of the two, I'd choose Slane. The setting at Slane was unique. But I love the version of the fly from the Boston DVD.

Then what will you say if I told you that it was the Slane version of the song that sold me into liking the song in the first place!? :wink: I've never been a huge fan of the album version. I don't know why. I think maybe the singing style or something. But at Slane, Bono sang the song so beautifully! Especially the wooooooah's at the end of the chorus! :love:

By far one of my favorite performance of Out of Control was the Slane DVD.

Slane! i love every song on that DVD - out of control was the best version ive ever heard, i think the fly was the only good thing about the boston DVD :reject:

Boston. Slane is good but it's waaaayyy overrated "OMGZ ITZ YOUTWO IN RELAND OMGZZZ!!!!111!!1" I mean honestly...it's the same way that Dublin '93 is overrated. Yet another case where the band knew the gig was going out to everybody and it showed. Boston isn't great but it has Gone, and great Fly, and far superior version of Bullet. And yes the editing in Boston is annoying, but it's still better than Slane. Not a big fan of AIWIY from Slane either, not sure what it is exactly but I tend to not like it in the big venue/stadium type shows as much as the smaller gigs.

Boston. Slane is good but it's waaaayyy overrated "OMGZ ITZ YOUTWO IN RELAND OMGZZZ!!!!111!!1" I mean honestly...it's the same way that Dublin '93 is overrated. Yet another case where the band knew the gig was going out to everybody and it showed. Boston isn't great but it has Gone, and great Fly, and far superior version of Bullet. And yes the editing in Boston is annoying, but it's still better than Slane. Not a big fan of AIWIY from Slane either, not sure what it is exactly but I tend to not like it in the big venue/stadium type shows as much as the smaller gigs.

Yes, AIWIY really sucked from Slane, and didn't care much for Beautiful Day either, but I'm generally tired of BD anyways. :sigh:

Surprised no one has mentioned the great Angel of Harlem performance on Slane...

but I still have to weigh in on the side of Boston. Gone, I Will Follow, In A Little While, Bad into Streets........yes please!!!

Both are pretty far from perfect it's hard to say which I'd prefer. I could take elements of each, if that was possible, and the combined would be awesome.

Slane has a weak setlist but Boston is missing a fair few songs so neither shines in this respect. Boston has The Fly, the highlight of the whole tour, which is a huge plus. Have we ever discussed the possible reason for Bad not being played at Slane? Ridiculous.

Boston has a lame audience. Slane is the clear winner here.

Being the 'regular' indoor show Boston is better representitive of the look and feel of the tour. The Slane stage was a 'once off'. I like a concert film to capture the look and feel of the entire tour.

As for the production side of things, the editing on Slane is much better. But Boston has a much higher quality picture albeit it is only 4:3. Slane is at least widescreen but it looks grainy.

There are inconsistencies everywhere. I can't pick a winner.

I am a huge Boston defender. Even though the crowd sucks, I love to see U2 fighting, fighting, fighting to make that show work. Even with the frustrations over gear and Bono's voice, it just adds to the drama and adds a palpable sense of urgency and tension to that show. Kinda like when Edge said that Bono is best when his back is against the wall.

For me, it works in the whole context of the band reclaiming their title and starting over from scratch - even though that narrative is kinda lazy.

(Ha - as I'm typing this, I'm listening to Obama's campaign stop - Beautiful Day just blasted from CNN!)

As good as the Slane one is, it's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. It's celebratory and fun, but for some reason it just seems a little easy and self-congratulatory.

As good as the Slane one is, it's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. It's celebratory and fun, but for some reason it just seems a little easy and self-congratulatory.
I agree with this. You can look at Slane in one of two ways; a celebratory thing or U2 freewheeling and playing it safe for their hometown and the cameras. Boston has an edge (excuse the pun) to it.

I think if Boston had the complete show it would be a lot better. I recall looking at the setlists and from memory Boston is missing 4 or 5 songs. I've never been able to work out why. It's a dual DVD package, albeit the 2nd DVD has other stuff, but surely the #1 priority has to be get most (if not all) of the show on there.

Back
Top Bottom