Salome vs. Holy Joe vs. Big Girls are Best vs. Fast Cars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snutes1

Acrobat
All right, these are four B-sides that are somewhat representative of U2's raunchy side. Please rank and explain your answers!

1. Fast Cars- Probably the best song in the Bomb era.
2. Holy Joe (Garage Mix)- Has grown on me through the years.
3. Salome- I like the 12 string remix better
4. Big Girls are Best.- I still don't get this song.

1. Fast Cars
2. Big Girls Are Best
3. Salome
4. Holy Joe

2-4 are all "meh" songs for me. Fast Cars, however, is one of the best songs U2 has made in the last ten years.

1. Big Girls Are Best: The most fully realised song from the "Pop" era. Fusion of funk/rock and Beatles' style vocal melodies. If Pop had been 1/2 as good as this, it would be a great record.

2. Holy Joe: U2 garage rock. Again, if it had been on "Pop" it would have improved the record by leaps and bounds.

3. Salome: Fun and interesting track. It feels raw. That's good.

4. Fast Cars: "Xanax and Wine" is better.

Axver said:
Fast Cars, however, is one of the best songs U2 has made in the last ten years.

QFT!

Fast Cars is hands down my favorite from the bunch. Holy Joe, I prefer Guilty Mix to Garage Mix. Salome is okay I guess. BGAB, I haven't really listened to much.

MrBrau1 said:
2. Holy Joe: U2 garage rock. Again, if it had been on "Pop" it would have improved the record by leaps and bounds.

Go buy the Japanese edition.

1 Holy Joe (both garage and guilty mix)
2 Big girls are best (great leftover from POP period)
3 Fast Cars (Xanax and whine is even better)
4 Salome

1. Fast cars (should be kept as a starting point for the Bomb follow up IMO, along with Mercy)
2. Salome
3. Holy Joe
4. Big girs are best

1. Fast cars - this song made me sit up,listen and shut up.

2. Holy joe - such a cool song , especially to grove too.

3.Big girls are the best - cheesy lyrics, cheesy beats.

4.Salome - its alright.

MrBrau1 said:
1. Big Girls Are Best: The most fully realised song from the "Pop" era. Fusion of funk/rock and Beatles' style vocal melodies. If Pop had been 1/2 as good as this, it would be a great record.

3. Salome: Fun and interesting track. It feels raw. That's good.

4. Fast Cars: "Xanax and Wine" is better.

QFT!!!!

also, i would never have guessed that axver held big girls in such high esteem.

U2Man said:
also, i would never have guessed that axver held big girls in such high esteem.

Holy Joe does nothing at all for me (the one time I compared the Guilty and Garage Mixes, I tuned out due to indifference towards the song and to this day have no idea how the versions differ) and Salome never really captivated me that much, so Big Girls Are Best didn't have to try that hard to get the #2 spot in this thread.

Fast Cars... :drool: Love it. If they swapped the "Don't you worry 'bout your mind" bit from Xanax and Wine into Fast Cars, it would be... better. (Yeah, I'm not going to claim anything is/would be perfect!) But it frickin rocks. I can't fathom why it wasn't on Bomb for the whole world.

I like Salome... and I'm sure I've heard Big Girls and Holy Joe at some point, but it's been years and I can't remember what they sound like.
:reject:

Man, this one is hard...:huh:

1. Fast Cars (and I like the Jacknife Lee mix too; and it's better than X&W)
1. Salome ("normal" version)
3. Holy Joe (Garage Mix) (very close to the #1 tie; I don't like much the Guilty Mix)
4. Big Girls Are Best (I like this song, the other ones are just favourites)

Last edited:
1. Fast Cars (yeah it lacks the best part of Xanax, the chorus, but still great)
2. Holy Joe (rocks)
3. Big Girls (wtf lyrics but ok)
4. Salomé (boring)

The only one I like from that list is Fast Cars. It blows the other ones out of the water.

I agree with Brau on quite a few things, but Big Girls Are Best is not one of them. :wink:

And I used to like Salome, but it just rubs me the wrong way now.

Holy Joe? Eh. It's okay.

I just listened to both mixes of Holy Joe again. Here's how I figure. They're both good in their own ways. Garage Mix is a fuller song but IMO is not suited for being in POP. Guilty Mix is funky and sexy and has a lot of noises that will feel at home on POP. So I'm not surprised Guilty was put on the Japanese edition.

the lot of 'em are definitely b-side material
only sort of like salome

salome
big girls
fast cars
holy joe

Salome: Sounds like what it is: a demo. You can hear elements of Mysterious Ways and a bass line that sounds like Zoo Station.

Holy Joe: This song has so much potential, they really should have taken it further.

Fast Cars: Good song, not great. Kinda like Xanax and Wine more

Big Girls Are Best: Havent heard it...

I love how people rag on Bono for adding the "sing-along" chorus of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, but when he takes out the sing-along chorus for Fast Cars, they prefer the demo.

:shrug:

Anyway:

1. Fast Cars (NOT Xanax and Wine)
2. Salome
3. Big Girls Are Best
4. Holy Joe

XHendrix24 said:
I love how people rag on Bono for adding the "sing-along" chorus of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, but when he takes out the sing-along chorus for Fast Cars, they prefer the demo.

WHAT?:scratch:

A quick side question:

There was an Achtung Baby single which featured Salome, Lady with a Spinning Head and Where Did It All Go Wrong. Does anyone know what that single is? I'm trying to add it to my collection. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom