sad but true

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

and 'Been Caught Stealing' was so deep.:lol:

ok, let's stick band to band, it'll be easier..
The Smiths?
Point a bad lyric?
I've never heard one.
No radio or MTV hype, yet Morrissey and the Smiths are legends.
They didn't need TRL to do that....

MrBrau1 said:
The Cure- Pictures Of You

HP Commercial

The Walkmen-We've Been Had

Saturn Commercial

The Von Bondies-C'mon, C'mon

Ford Commercial

Peter Gabriel-Big Time

Toyota Commercial

David Bowie- Too Many to count.

Radiohead-Songs on CSI.

Thats not selling out-Being played on the radio apparently is

MrBrau1 said:
The Cure- Pictures Of You

HP Commercial

The Walkmen-We've Been Had

Saturn Commercial

The Von Bondies-C'mon, C'mon

Ford Commercial

Peter Gabriel-Big Time

Toyota Commercial

David Bowie- Too Many to count.

Radiohead-Songs on CSI.

did i defend any of those artists ? but you'll say anything, even lies or thing not related to the subject just to defend U2.
There's no point in discusion with fantics, there's no room for a discussions...

But hey its ok that Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby get played on the radio thats just fine with everybody here.

Face it U2 didnt make the record you wanted them to make they made the record they wanted to make if you dont like it dont listen to it but just because you dont love it dont blame U2 for doing something they have been doing since the start of the band promoting the music.

Marr said:

did i defend any of those artists ? but you'll say anything, even lies or thing not related to the subject just to defend U2.
There's no point in discusion with fantics, there's no room for a discussions...
4 out of the 6 or bands you had listed as non-sellouts have done commericals, another has a reality show

SELLOUTS!

sure....what's next?
U2 feat. Snoop Dogg?
and you'll say: they did what they wanted to make...U2 are always right...

Okay... everybody on earth (includes U2) sold out! Does that make you any happier? The point of this thread was not to say "It's okay that U2 sold out because a whole bunch of other popular bands did as well."

I don't know about the 80s, but compared to the 90s, they've definitely become media darlings and corporate monsters. And don't say something like "then why're you on this website?" or "why do you still listen to their music?". There's a certain thing called nostalgia.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

4 out of the 6 or bands you had listed as non-sellouts have done commericals, another has a reality show

SELLOUTS!

I don't belive that The Smiths agreeded on those commercials....but what's the difference? every single band has sold out while U2 didn't. I've got it.

No they arent always right and neither are you, every band makes mistakes in a career especially a 25 year career where every little thing they do is under the microscope from people some of which know something about the band most of which know fuck all about U2s music.

Marr said:

The Smiths?
Point a bad lyric?
I've never heard one.

Look I love the Smiths, legends may be a stretch.

I can't stand 'Bigmouth' and a few others. They've had their slip ups.

I never seen U2 have any success on TRL, plus TRL wasn't around when the Smiths were, so that really doesn't make sense. The Smiths got plenty of radio play depending on where you lived. But you wouldn't know because you were only like 5 when they broke up.

unnamed_streets said:
Okay... everybody on earth (includes U2) sold out! Does that make you any happier? The point of this thread was not to say "It's okay that U2 sold out because a whole bunch of other popular bands did as well."

I don't know about the 80s, but compared to the 90s, they've definitely become media darlings and corporate monsters. And don't say something like "then why're you on this website?" or "why do you still listen to their music?". There's a certain thing called nostalgia.

Finally someone talking sense...
A fan is not someone who praises anything that the band has done and will do. A fan is someone who always stays true with himself. Hence I do belive that HTDAAB and ATYCLB are pop records, and that the band is not what it used to be. I say it because i care, not couse i want to trash my favourite band....

Marr said:

I don't belive that The Smiths agreeded on those commercials....but what's the difference? every single band has sold out while U2 didn't. I've got it.

Well then you don't know shit. THEY HAD TO, FOR THEY OWN THE RIGHTS.

Why dont you all go cry a river in the corner and listen to Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree forever, after all weve only been listening to those albums for 15 and 18 years now, and hey they were played the crap out of on the radio too but hey thats ok thats perfectly fine after all U2 apparently had something to say back then that they arent saying now according to the elitists here.

Go put on your fly shades and leather jacket and devils horns.
Go wrap yourself up in the Amnesty International flag.
Go be the "fucker waving the white flag"

But hey when they are doing that its only right to play them on the radio. Wasnt it about the music, hasnt it always been about the music...I think that is what has kept the fanbase alive and staying consistantly behind the band.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I can't stand 'Bigmouth' and a few others. They've had their slip ups.

I understand the fact you don't like it...
but you should admit that it's not a song like vertigo, when they thought "that's a hit! we need new people coming in!" --these words were VERY painful to me...
That's sell-out, fuck the commercials, fuck iPOd, fuck it all....
But music is sacred....turning Native Son into Vertigo was a sell-out...

Marr said:

Finally someone talking sense...
A fan is not someone who praises anything that the band has done and will do. A fan is someone who always stays true with himself. Hence I do belive that HTDAAB and ATYCLB are pop records, and that the band is not what it used to be. I say it because i care, not couse i want to trash my favourite band....

If you bothered to read ALL the posts in this thread, you'd see the arguement was against Kots article in the Chicago Tribune. He left out key points about U2's past promo activities. That's what this thread is about. No whether ATYCLB is a pop record, or whether those promos are sell-outs. Start your own thread, as you've pulled this WAY off topic.

Marr said:

I understand the fact you don't like it...
but you should admit that it's not a song like vertigo, when they thought "that's a hit! we need new people coming in!" --these words were VERY painful to me...
That's sell-out, fuck the commercials, fuck iPOd, fuck it all....
But music is sacred....turning Native Son into Vertigo was a sell-out...

It's worse than Vertigo. In fact many of their songs are. But they also have a lot of great songs. I like how you accuse everyone of praising everything U2 does, but that's exactly what you are doing with The Smiths.

Do you even know what Vertigo is about?

Yahweh said:

Go put on your fly shades and leather jacket and devils horns.
Go wrap yourself up in the Amnesty International flag.
Go be the "fucker waving the white flag"

Good idea.
And you wait and see you turning into the rolling stones.

why think? why bother? it's alright...
ignorance is bliss.

- U2 play over half new material on their tours
- U2 promote new material
- U2 sell 10 times as many albums with new material as the Stones do with new material
- U2 dont live in the past unlike much of their fanbase

unnamed_streets said:

No offense but I really don't think you have a good grasp on who or what U2 is. I mean I saw your last thread, and you though Bono was quiet. They are no more media darlings now then 10 or 15 years ago. They may be finding new mediums, but that's it.

Marr said:

The Smiths?
Point a bad lyric?
I've never heard one.

Legends? Not when a whole lot of people have never heard of them ...

Oh, that's right, that's why U2 are using promo spots - so that the broadest possible audience, the music buying public in general, know they are making and releasing music. I'm still yet to see a reasonable argument against U2 promoting their music to the general public.

Do Miss America said:

No offense but I really don't think you have a good grasp on who or what U2 is. I mean I saw your last thread, and you though Bono was quiet. They are no more media darlings now then 10 or 15 years ago. They may be finding new mediums, but that's it.

Bono, quiet? :laugh:

I remember when MTV came out people thought making videos was selling out.

I could care less if the music is there, that's all that fucking matters.

It's like Ryan said after appearing in a Gap jeans ad. "Who's going to turn down 30,000 dollars for an hours worth of work and the chance to hang out with Willie Nelson?"

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Ok for everyone yelling 'sell out', show me exactly what U2 has sacrificed.

Also show me a band that hasn't, show me the model you'd like U2 to be. I'm interested.

First, I don't think promoting a record by going on TV for a show is selling out - that's what promotion is all about.

As far as commercials, yeah, I've gotten sick of the ipod commercial, and while I understand why they do it, you kinda wish they didn't need to.

If there was a different model that U2 could be like, that's easy:

Springsteen

Sure, he is more visible on TV now to promote his new records, but he is an artist who I would definitely never consider to be a sell out. Sure don't recall any of his songs in commercials...

However, as I started off, I don't consider U2 to be a sell out, despite the commercial, and like their model just fine. Just giving you an example of an artist whose model is also just fine.

unnamed_streets said:

Now, U2 appears on "Saturday Night Live," shows up at the opening of former President Bill Clinton's library and rolls through Manhattan in a flatbed truck blasting a song, all in the name of promoting its latest album, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (Interscope).

This is the part of the article that pisses me off the most.

U2 have made appearances on TV, at least in the U.S., since the early 90s. I specifically remember Edge comin' out at the MTV awards in 1993 (I think) and doing Numb.

And what's up about the ABOY music video? He rips it, but perhaps his memory failed him. After all, as The Joshua Tree was beginning to make U2 the biggest stars in the world, they did TWO on location videos in a row with ISHFWILF and WTSHNN. Hello? I guess they screwed up back then too...

Back
Top Bottom