sad but true

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moonlit_Angel said:

Yeah...I've never thought that (course, I didn't know a ton of stuff about the band for most of my life), but that's how it'd probably come across to some people, so it's almost like they're damned if they do and damned if they don't (that seems to happen a lot with this band, doesn't it?). And U2 haven't snubbed all awards shows...they were at the MTV VMAs back in the early 90s, and at the Grammys in the late 80s.

I guess I'm missing something here...why exactly is it so bad for a band to appear on the talk show circuit, or go on SNL, or go to awards shows? Why does not going to that stuff automatically make them "cool" (and in a way, doesn't that sound a bit elitest? I don't like musical elitism much). I'm personally happy to see U2 on TV...I haven't gotten the chance to see them live yet, and so anytime I get to see them perform on TV, that's a plus for me, 'cause that's about the only way at this time I can see how they are live. I don't really see what the problem is :shrug:.

Angela

U2's two SNL appearances were some of the best SNL concert moments IMO. Up there with the Costello moment, or Van Halen going crazy on guitar (to name a few). An elitist attitude would have meant we as fans would never get to experience that. So I agree with Moonlit_Angel in that I don't see anything majorly wrong with the talk show circuit/ musical promotions.

But my impression from some fans on this board is that they prefer U2 not to do the promotional appearances where they play a song/ songs live for people. Instead these "fans" seem to want these people to try to get tickets to a concert (that many can't afford or will have a hard time seeing b/c of demand) and have them experience live U2, only at a concert hall . Right? Freakin' INDIE attitude...

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
Point 2 against that stupid article. Kot tries to imply that U2 never cared about record promo before 2000, thus ditching TV, award shows, and the like. Well, they've done TV since day 1. They've also appeared at the Grammy awards in 1988, 1994. The MTV awards in 1992 and 1993. And actually had a Fox special in 1992, and an ABC special in 1997. I'm not even getting into the European TV appearances, cause they're to numerous. He also fails to recognise this is 2005, not 1989. Radio is dead. MTV is dead. The Clash, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, and The Who all SOLD songs to commercials. REM appeared on Boston Public. The Foo Fighter were the theme song for a sitcom, Indie bands have hits from VW commercials, movie placements, and the OC soundtrack. The whole business has changed, and Kot does not understand that.

I agree with everything you say.

U2 have always sold their music. Maybe people didn't notice it as much in 1986, because if you missed their Irish TV appearance, you missed their Irish TV appearance. You didn't read about it on YahooNews or trade MP3's of the songs. It was in the airwaves for 1/2 hour, then gone. The world is a little different now than it was in the 80's.

MrBrau1 said:

So promo before 83 didn't bother you, but promo after '83 does. They were on Irish TV in 86 playing JT songs. The cover of TIME in 87. Musta made you hurl. You don't know this band at all.

You have no idea. They NEVER played shitty kids programs for 20 years. They were on THE tube in 1987 for an interview and the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1987 PLAYING LIVE, get it, PLAYING LIVE!!!!!!! Not fuc#ing standing their while The Edge tries to mime his way thru his guitar parts and Bono singing karaoke to a backing track on fucking kids shows. Just makes them look stupid, I was embarressed to watch when I see them a couple of weeks ago playing along to a karaoke version of SYCMIOYO. it was just embarressing to watch being a massive fan as I am.

rjhbonovox said:

You have no idea. They NEVER played shitty kids programs for 20 years. They were on THE tube in 1987 for an interview and the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1987 PLAYING LIVE, get it, PLAYING LIVE!!!!!!! Not fuc#ing standing their while The Edge tries to mime his way thru his guitar parts and Bono singing karaoke to a backing track on fucking kids shows. Just makes them look stupid, I was embarressed to watch when I see them a couple of weeks ago playing along to a karaoke version of SYCMIOYO. it was just embarressing to watch being a massive fan as I am.

You're right about the miming stuff. That blows. But the SNL shows I saw were some of their best performances ever.

rjhbonovox said:

Being a massive fan I'm surprised that you haven't seen the tapes of their early to mid-eighties TV appearances where they were clearly lip-synching and doing it quite badly.

rjhbonovox said:
They NEVER played shitty kids programs for 20 years.

But why was it alright for them to play on such shows in the early eighties? They did Fire on TOTP. How is that alright? Or do you hate pre-UF U2 too? Do you hate bands and eras just based on a couple of TV promo spots? What's wrong with a TV promo spot anyway? Is it wrong to demonstrate your music to the public so that they HEAR IT and BUY IT? The point of releasing your music is so people HEAR IT and BUY IT and a way of reaching them is through TV promos. Don't you get it?

They were on THE tube in 1987 for an interview and the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1987 PLAYING LIVE, get it, PLAYING LIVE!!!!!!!

Yeah, and U2 were so miming at the Grammy's? Look, on some shows, the POLICY is to mime. If U2 want people to HEAR and BUY their music (and you'd want that if you were an artist), they'll play the shows that reach a broad audience that might otherwise not be aware U2 have new music out. And no matter how big you are, you have no right to bully a show into changing its rules for you. Plenty of bands have mimed. I remember around TOTP time, someone mentioned how Nirvana went on there and mocked the mime.

In any case, you're a hypocrite. U2 do these shows and you whine. If U2 didn't do these shows and less people bought the album, you'd whine and call it a flop. Stop pushing your agenda and MAKE SENSE for a change.

unnamed_streets said:
It's all about survival in a short-attention-span industry, says Jimmy Iovine, chairman of U2's label, Interscope Geffen A&M Records, and producer of some of the band's landmark '80s recordings. U2's members are in their 40s and the band has been in existence for 25 years, a veritable dinosaur that is about to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next month. Yet the majority of the record-buying public is under age 25, most too young to remember U2 classics such as "The Joshua Tree" or "Achtung Baby." Like any band that hits rock 'n' roll middle age, U2 is grappling with the question of how to stay relevant in an industry that caters to youth.

"When we were kids, doing a TV ad, appearing on the Super Bowl halftime or singing at the Grammys would be a bad move for credibility, but not anymore," says Iovine, who adds that the band turned down three $20 million TV ad offers from other corporations before agreeing to the Apple deal because it "fit what they wanted to do aesthetically." He insists that the band received no money for the ad, which essentially served as a commercial for the new album while associating it with a "cool product that's a mainline right to a younger audience."
This is the most sensible part of the aritlce. Things change, people change and if it isn't obvious by now u2 changes.

Yeah when they were young they could afford to snub people like that but if they don't want to fade into obscurity then they have to promote themselves these days.

Everytime u2 have changed (war style to JT style to AB style to ATYCLB) they have always said along the lines of "yeah there will be some fans who don't get this and thats a shame but this is where we want to go so whatever"

I embrace there latest change whole heartledly, people like this are the people who are in the "whatever" catagory

Zootomic said:

Being a massive fan I'm surprised that you haven't seen the tapes of their early to mid-eighties TV appearances where they were clearly lip-synching and doing it quite badly.

It's funny, because I was watching a DVD of their earliest performances this past weekend and they were really funny. Talk about performing at some cheesy places. My favorite was the performance in some show that was like an "American Bandstand" type show, it had me cracking up.

Zootomic said:

Do you people ever read my posts. They never appeared on these lipsycnch shows from 1983-2000. The last performance I can remember from these type of shows was for 2 hearts beat as one for totp in 1983. If they did so elsewhere like in the USA then somebody will no doubt say. But in the UK they never appeared in the studio on totp miming from 1983-2000. Just makes me cringe when I watch these type of programs and you see on this forum saying how fuc#ing great was U2 performing karaoke on CDUK the other day and blah blah.:huh:

Axver said:

Yeah, and U2 were so miming at the Grammy's? Look, on some shows, the POLICY is to mime.
Actually the Grammys have a strict policy against lip-synching.

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:
ITS YOUR OPINION that the new material is "lacklustre"..don't try and project some false image of all u2 and music fans sighing in apathy at 'Atomic Bomb.

Your second point shows you haven't read the thread properly..if you can't see the changes in the music industry and how U2 have to fight against superstar rappers, R&B artists, corporate cheeseball pop and the fact they're in their '40s all affect how the band is approaching their promotional actions, then you are just blindly ranting to support you own flimsy premise.

I've highlighted in capitals where necessary [in the above quote]...:eyebrow: I'm not bringing my opinion of the album up in an attempt to gain any leverage in the argument, you just assumed that...!

I am fully aware of what the music industry is full of nowadays, but surely bands like U2 shouldn't HAVE to compete with them, they release a record, it sells. Simple as that. There is no need to suddenly decide to appear on Kids Saturday Morning Television in the UK to promote "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own"...

Sadly we find ourselves wading through purile shite a lot of the time when it comes to music at the moment, and U2 are indeed a much needed "andedote" to put it one way, but I still think people are absolutely in the right to say they have "sold out" if you'll let me use the cliche since it really is quite odd they suddenly decide to chuck their once admirable approach to promoting material out of the window in favour of appearing on Kids TV and waving their arms around for attention wherever they can!

I've already got the album and really don't intend on buying the singles in the future so it makes no difference to me, but [disregarding the whole Rapper/R'n'B argument] it is undeniable their approach to promoting their releases has changed heavily from 2000 onwards and I can't imagine what it must be like to non-U2 fans...!!

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:
Just makes me cringe when I watch these type of programs and you see on this forum saying how fuc#ing great was U2 performing karaoke on CDUK the other day and blah blah.:huh:

I agree with you again.

Zootomic said:

Actually the Grammys have a strict policy against lip-synching.

I know. The first sentence was sarcastic. I'm sorry, the post wasn't clear.

Axver said:

In any case, you're a hypocrite. U2 do these shows and you whine. If U2 didn't do these shows and less people bought the album, you'd whine and call it a flop. Stop pushing your agenda and MAKE SENSE for a change.

I would have preferred them not to do crappy kid shows like these. TOTP gets a shit audience of about 1-2 million if that. I wouldn't whine and call the album a flop if it hadn't sold cos its not that bloody good anyway!:wink:

blahblahblah said:

I've highlighted in capitals where necessary...:eyebrow: I'm not bringing my opinion of the album up in an attempt to gain any leverage in the argument, you just assumed that...!

I am fully aware of what the music industry is full of nowadays, but surely bands like U2 shouldn't HAVE to compete with them, they release a record, it sells. Simple as that. There is no need to suddenly decide to appear on Kids Saturday Morning Television in the UK to promote "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own"...

Sadly we find ourselves wading through purile shite a lot of the time when it comes to music at the moment, and U2 are indeed a much needed "andedote" to put it one way, but I still think people are absolutely in the right to say they have "sold out" if you'll let me use the cliche since it really is quite odd they suddenly decide to chuck their once admirable approach to promoting material out of the window in favour of appearing on Kids TV and waving their arms around for attention wherever they can!

I've already got the album and really don't intend on buying the singles in the future so it makes no difference to me, but [disregarding the whole Rapper/R'n'B argument] it is undeniable their approach to promoting their releases has changed heavily from 2000 onwards and I can't imagine what it must be like to non-U2 fans...!!

Please read previous posts about U2's promo activities. If they's sold out now in your eyes, they sold out in 1980.

rjhbonovox said:

Do you people ever read my posts. They never appeared on these lipsycnch shows from 1983-2000.

Do you read OUR posts? Why was it alright for U2 to appear on such shows in the early years? Come on. You've been asked that question plenty of times. Answer it. Oh, wait, YOU CAN'T.

Axver said:

I know. The first sentence was sarcastic. I'm sorry, the post wasn't clear.
Sorry Axver. Usually I'm pretty good at detecting sarcasm since it is my primary language!

rjhbonovox said:

I would have preferred them not to do crappy kid shows like these. TOTP gets a shit audience of about 1-2 million if that. I wouldn't whine and call the album a flop if it hadn't sold cos its not that bloody good anyway!:wink:

1-2 million people is a shit audience? If just a tenth of those people bought the album, there's a decent boost to sales! The point is to reach a market, inform them you've released a new album, and promote the music you are selling. What's wrong with that?

And it's only your opinion that the album isn't good. I say it's better than both Achtung and JT.

Axver said:

Do you read OUR posts? Why was it alright for U2 to appear on such shows in the early years? Come on. You've been asked that question plenty of times. Answer it. Oh, wait, YOU CAN'T.

A young band having to appear on kids shows does not look as fucking stupid as an old band appearing on kids tv shows. Can you not see this. When you see U2 playing karaoke on CDUK or whatever now you can sit there and say FUCKING GREAT BAND! :huh:

Zootomic said:

Sorry Axver. Usually I'm pretty good at detecting sarcasm since it is my primary language!

Heh, when you replied, I went and had a look at my post and I thought "wow, that's some dodgy sarcasm right there". I'm not surprised you missed it! I was trying to prove the point that U2 haven't mimed all that much lately and that when they have, it's been show policy to do so, but I was writing a bit too fast and furiously to properly establish that point.

MrBrau1 said:
Please read previous posts about U2's promo activities. If they's sold out now in your eyes, they sold out in 1980.

In what way, exactly?

rjhbonovox said:

A young band having to appear on kids shows does not look as fucking stupid as an old band appearing on kids tv shows. Can you not see this. When you see U2 playing karaoke on CDUK or whatever now you can sit there and say FUCKING GREAT BAND! :huh:

It doesn't matter what age the band is.

Young band is trying to break through. Old band is staying relevant. Fact is, the young market, who are the predominant music consumers, don't care for the older bands. Significant ageism. So U2 have to promote themselves, to show that they aren't "old guys who suck".

Nature of the industry.

And really, I like U2 on TV. Better than anything else that could be on.

Wow, this is a fast moving one...hope I get my comments in before it gets locked. :huh: (my pc keeps locking up and I lose everything I've written. :mad: )

indra said:
Wow, this is a fast moving one...hope I get my comments in before it gets locked. :huh: (my pc keeps locking up and I lose everything I've written. :mad: )

This thread shouldn't get locked. It's been very civil. There are a million threads like it, but so is every other thread on this board.

indra said:

My old computer used to do that... I'd always write stuff for a thread and the computer would crash or reset... thus everything I wrote for a thread = gone :(

Excuse for a new comp at least...

Back
Top Bottom