Sachs said Bono has changed minds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Summer~Rain

The Fly
Here's a story about how Bono has made progress with his causes just by being Bono. Isn't the the coolest?

Globalisation and its Discontents

Bono has changed the minds of people you would not believe,' Professor Jeffrey Sachs.

'Bono has changed the minds of people you would not believe,' said Professor Jeffrey Sachs, speaking to a Dublin conference on Globalisation. 'He calls me morning, noon and night for that last piece of data.'

Sachs, a Harvard academic and economic adviser to governments in five continents, argues that if the world's richest countries were to sacrifice one cent in every $10 to fund primary health in the third world, eight million lives would be saved every year.

In a lecture on "Globalisation and its Discontents" to members of the Institute of European Affairs, Sachs (pictured left with Bono) said the extent of recent economic growth in the most prosperous parts of the world had made the alleviation of world poverty possible for the first time. Dividing the world according to economic progress, Prof Sachs said at least 1.5 billion people were living in areas where practically no economic growth had been achieved in the past 20 years. In Africa, he said, per capita income had, on average, declined over the period.

Among the reasons for this, the professor said, was the extreme poverty trap in which many of these countries find themselves.

"There is no margin above survival," he said, adding that some populations simply do not eat enough to be productive, never mind attract foreign direct investment. Difficult physical environments are also a factor. "It is no accident that Afghanistan is in chaos," he said. "It is so remote that it has not had economic development for centuries."

Prof Sachs said the richest 6 per cent of the world had become so "fantastically rich" within the past few years, that a collective aid effort could actually be effective in alleviating world poverty. It was for this reason that he had chosen to leave his position at Harvard and become a special UN adviser on the poverty issue, he said.

Prof Sachs believes that if 0.7 per cent of GNP in rich countries could be diverted to the poorest parts of the world, entire polulations could become healthy, educated and skilled. "I thought it was a good shot to give Kofi Annan a hand with all of this," he said. "We could make a huge difference."

The professor's lecture also paid tribute to the work of Bono in fighting global poverty and focusing attention on world debt. He said that if Bono was not the world's most important politician, he was "definitely number two".
"He is so incredibly serious and consequential about this, which is why he makes a difference."

"He calls me morning, noon and night for that last piece of data. He has changed things in Washington unbelievably - he has changed the minds of people you would never believe could be changed."

More on the campaign to cancel the debts of the poorest countries here www.jubileeusa.org www.dropthedebt.org

------------------
When you stop taking chances and stay where you sit you won't live any longer but it'll feel like it!

Bono rocks!!!

And I think Jeffrey Sachs must be very cool to have given up his Harvard position so that he can work more closely on globalization.

Yes, Sachs is to be admired for doing that! Bono gives a lot of him too, but he has a job that allows plenty of time off.
wink.gif
Good for Bono and Sachs, and don't forget accolades to Bill Gates, who gave 24 billion dollars of his own money to help poverty stricken children and provide health care!

------------------
When you stop taking chances and stay where you sit you won't live any longer but it'll feel like it!

Originally posted by hotpepper:
Summer-Rain

Thanks so much for posting this article. Where did you find it?

IT was on U2.COM! I was surprised it hadn't been posted before! Stuff like this is important!

------------------

Originally posted by ignoreland:
ha, no, his son.

Really? That's cool! Bono and your Dad are doing great work and I know you're proud! Do you always go on trips with him? You must get to see a lot of the world, and a lot of Bono!

[This message has been edited by Summer~Rain (edited 05-01-2002).]

Originally posted by Summer~Rain:
Bono and your Dad are doing great work and I know you're proud!

i am, indeed.

Originally posted by Summer~Rain:
You must get to see a lot of the world, and a lot of Bono!

i used to think being an economist (while admirable) was perhaps the most uncool profession possible--that is, until he began hanging out with rock stars
wink.gif

i used to think being an economist (while admirable) was perhaps the most uncool profession possible--that is, until he began hanging out with rock stars
wink.gif

LOL! That's so funny, I know that's a joke about what Bono said about hanging around with ecomonists and politicians!

I have the utmost admiration for your Father.

This article he recently wrote for The Boston Globe is a must read for everyone imo-it's been posted before, but I think it's definitely worth posting again.

GREAT DECISIONS

AIDS overwhelms Africa, tests U.S. national morality

By JEFFREY SACHS AND SONIA EHRLICH SACHS

Sunday, March 17, 2002

Blantyre, Malawi -- The sight was shocking. Peering into the medical ward of Queen
Elizabeth Hospital was like peering into a corner of hell. AIDS has overtaken the
hospital.

Seventy percent of the medical-ward admissions are AIDS-related, but the hospital
lacks the proper medications to treat the sick. So the patients come to die in ever
increasing numbers, far beyond any capacity to manage.

Two to a bed; sometimes three to a bed. When the beds overflow, the next wave of
the dying huddle on the floor under the beds, to stay out of the way of families, nurses,
and doctors passing through the wards. The constant low-level moans and fixed gazes
of emaciated faces fill the ward.

These patients are dying of poverty as much as they are dying of AIDS.

In the next corridor is an outpatient service that offers AIDS drugs. Four hundred or so
patients are successfully being treated with antiretrovirals. They are the tiny fraction
who can afford to pay approximately $1 per day out of pocket for the medicines.

The treatment has been successful. CIPLA, the Indian generics producer, supplies the
drugs; the patients take them twice a day and they get better. No great complexity, no
unusual complications of toxicity, no struggles to achieve patient adherence to the drug
regimen. Just a doctor prescribing medicines, and his patients responding.

A few miles away, one sees the implications of the dying fields that Africa has become.
A village in Malawi is like a giant orphanage, in which a few elderly and wizened
grandmothers look after the children of their dead and dying sons and daughters.

Enter a village and suddenly one is surrounded by dozens of children, a handful of
elderly, and almost nobody of working age. On the day of our visit, it turns out, the few
remaining men are off to a funeral. The grandmothers talk softly of their lost children as
their orphaned grandchildren squat quietly nearby.

One grandmother shows us the rotting, bug-infested millet that she will use to make the
gruel that keeps her and her wards barely alive. A beautiful young girl proudly tells us
that she is in the second grade. She walks barefoot three kilometers early each morning
to get to school. She wants to go to college, says her grandma. To make it, she will have
to beat forbidding odds.

The rich world is an accomplice to the mass deaths in Africa. Why aren't U.S. leaders
visiting the hospitals, villages and health ministries in Africa to ensure that the United
States is doing all it can do to stop the deaths? Why aren't U.S. leaders talking to
African doctors?

We are spending tens of billions of dollars to fight a war on terrorism that tragically
claimed a few thousand American lives. Yet we are spending perhaps 1/100 of that in
a war against AIDS that kills more than 5,000 Africans each day.

A report of the Commission on Macroeconomics and Health of the World Health
Organization shows that a tiny share of rich-country income -- one penny of every $10
of GNP -- would translate into 8 million lives saved each year in the poor countries.

The rich world is running out of excuses. Every misconception we've heard about
treating AIDS patients -- that the drugs don't work in Africa, the patients wouldn't adhere
to "complex" regimens, that the doctors aren't qualified or can't be trained -- has been
matched by similarly lazy misconceptions about foreign assistance.

We've been told that any aid would be wasted, that debt relief would be squandered by
corruption. We've been told that it's not "cost effective" to spend a tiny fraction of our own
income to save millions each year, as if it's cost effective to let a generation die, to allow
the collapse of Africa's tottering health care system, and to stand by as tens of millions
of children are orphaned.

Debt-relief foes in Congress have warned that the benefits of debt cancellation would
never reach the poor. We found the opposite. In each country that we visited on this
trip -- Malawi, Uganda, Ghana -- the government is pursuing a meticulous and
transparent process to ensure that budgetary savings from debt relief are actually
channeled into urgent social sectors. The problem is not waste or corruption, the problem
is that the extent of help from the U.S. and Europe is so meager in the face of the
enormous crisis.

In a small room in Uganda, the intermingling of beauty and unnecessary suffering
touched us more deeply than we could have imagined. A singing troupe of HIV-infected
individuals, all likely to die in the next few years for lack of access to life-saving meds,
sang to us with great power, charm and bravery of their struggles.

Rock star Bono , traveling with our group, reached for his guitar. With haunting beauty,
he responded with his magnificent ballad, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."
The Ugandans swayed rhythmically to his pure and gripping tones. The tears flowed
freely.

The U.S. complicity in Africa's mass suffering, unless reversed, will stain our country.
Africa is the place where we will confront our own humanity, our morality, our purposes
as individuals and as a country.

Just thought posting this might bring the focus back to the important issues today.
smile.gif

my dad liked the subject of this thread
wink.gif

let me add, by the way, that we are all in for a TREMENDOUS treat if the next album stays anything true to the rehearsal discs bono played me last week. (this coming from a fan not overly fond of All That You Can't...). More garage-y tendencies, but still a very full sound. And some really, really, really rocking riffs from edge.

[This message has been edited by ignoreland (edited 05-02-2002).]

Hey ignoreland!

From a Scotsman to an American newbie, welcome to the forum! Its really cool to have you here!

You did listen to the rehearsal discs!?!? Woah! Thats great! I cant imagine what its like but I sure like the sound of what youre saying! So you are not that fond of All that you Cant leave..... huh? Im sorta like that as I cant bring myself to like Grace or Ground Beneath her feet but the others are great.....

Hope your father keep up the good work.....

dougal

let me add, by the way, that we are all in for a TREMENDOUS treat if the next album stays anything true to the rehearsal discs bono played me last week. (this coming from a fan not overly fond of All That You Can't...). More garage-y tendencies, but still a very full sound. And some really, really, really rocking riffs from edge.

Wow-thanks so much for sharing this info!
smile.gif

Wow! That's awesome! You're so lucky to get to hear it, thanks for telling us.

What your Dad and Bono are doing is awesome too. Great stories!

------------------
I've seen his baby blue eyes in the freeze frame so many times I feel like I'm his very best friend~~~~

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 05-02-2002).]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom