Running to stand still..... on the Zoo TV - DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kingofsorrow said:
i think he/she means bono just singing and not talking or shaking some politicains hand or giving the pope styling tips during the song?
Right because he does that in so many other songs.

I :heart: it too!! One of the best live performances for sure.

Oh and the hallelujah's . . . :combust:

Last edited:
Hmm. I dunno. Acting out heroin use and the whole military thing don't really say "little gesture" to me.

I will agree that it is one of the best U2 performances, though.

Yeah Diemen. I (she :)) think the same. You always see him talking and all that stuff. And it's the same thing with this performance. But there it fits. It's my opinion. Some may think that it's to much.... but we all know are bono! Not a man of little gestures!

Diemen said:
Hmm. I dunno. Acting out heroin use and the whole military thing don't really say "little gesture" to me.

I will agree that it is one of the best U2 performances, though.

Exactly, that's why I was a little confused.

And yes it's one of his best.

I actually love his performance from the Fox special even more. Someone throws up a string of pearls onstage and he incorporates it into his act. Brilliant.

This is my favorite song, and hearing this performance just made me love it even more...especially the hallelujas at the end

nathan1977 said:
I actually love his performance from the Fox special even more. Someone throws up a string of pearls onstage and he incorporates it into his act. Brilliant.

Please tell more about this performance? Does anyone know if it can be seen anywhere? Thanks!

What is Bono trying to represent through the whole thing? I like his performance but no so much the instruments' parts in that particular arrangement of the song.

Am I the only person who really doesn't like this version? :reject: Bono's performance is great and I love the Hallelujahs at the end, but I HATE the arrangement of the song. RTSS is one of the few instances where I prefer the studio version to live ones.

I've said it before, the whole ZOOTV show is the greatest tour ever, & RTSS-WTSHNN is the highlight, for me, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up everytime I see it.

I don't know, but this performance simply doesn't do much for me, except for the fact that I find it quite pathetic. I like the Hallelujas in the end, though.
Studio version however :up:
It's one of my all-time favourite songs.
And I also like the Vertigo tour version, maybe because it's so tuned down.

The only live version I've liked is the Zoo version. Second to that, the album version is amazing.

Allanah said:
Am I the only person who really doesn't like this version? :reject: Bono's performance is great and I love the Hallelujahs at the end, but I HATE the arrangement of the song. RTSS is one of the few instances where I prefer the studio version to live ones.

Same here.

Unless Bono's done the heroin imitation on any other recorded performance then this is the performance that hte following story pertains to:

When I first started getting into U2 at 13 or 14, Bono was on that show on PBS..Charlie Rose? Or something like that, whatever it's called and I was watching it and they showed a clip of Bono doing the heroin thing, and I was just so entranced by it for some reason, and it's always been an image of Bono that's stuck with me, and I finally saw Zoo TV all the way through a few months ago, and it didn't click until someone started this thread, that I finally found the video of Bono doing that, and now I feel dumb, but I'm excited because I found the video, I always wondered where that came from....

Anyway, long random story moment over, this is my favorite performance of this song, and I think I like it more than the studio version.

I love the studio version but live it's even better IMO.
ZooTV version is prolly my favorite but Rattle and Hum comes close. They're different, but both versions have this amazing atmosphere, that the Vertigo versions lacked.

Everything about RTSS is amazing, the studio version...the live version....the ZOOTV version was incredible, but the Rattle & Hum versions were great too. It was even good on the Vertigo tour.

One of their best.

Allanah said:

Holy underwear, you've got to be kidding me? Everyone has a right to an opinion, except this one. :)

I've seen u2 about 16 times over the last 22 years and there are about 4 to 6 performances of various songs that truly stand out as magical. Y'know, even more magical than the rest.

I've always felt that this performance is one. Edge's swirling guitar, Bono's junkie routine, and those irresistable, orgasmic, take-me-through-the-clouds-and-release-my-soul-upon-the-heavens hallelujahs, my GOD!

I've got this on an old VHS tape. Can't wait to get the DVD.

nathan1977 said:
I actually love his performance from the Fox special even more. Someone throws up a string of pearls onstage and he incorporates it into his act. Brilliant. [/QUOT

Can anyone share info on this Fox peformance that nathan1977 mentions in his post on pg. one of this thread? thanks!

Val said:
nathan1977 said:
I actually love his performance from the Fox special even more. Someone throws up a string of pearls onstage and he incorporates it into his act. Brilliant. [/QUOT

Can anyone share info on this Fox peformance that nathan1977 mentions in his post on pg. one of this thread? thanks!

I have nener seen the Fox performance , what does Bono do with the string of pearls ?:ohmy:

I don't like the arrangement to be honest.

To me, when it comes to a song like RTSS, less is more. I found the guitar didn't fit the music and while Bono put on a good performance, the song is emotional enough on its own that it doesn't need any extra umph or production. So it just felt forced and unnecessary to me.

Which is probably why I love The Joshua Tree version the best. It wasn't performed as a spectacle, just a beautifully haunting song. All in my opinion of course. :D

Back
Top Bottom