Running to Stand Still: Joshua Tree vs. Zoo TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joshua Tree and Lovetown were more intimate.

That is definitely a classic line that's hard to forget - "we're making you all Irish tonight."

In the early JT shows, Bono screams "I'm running, I'm gonna run" with a really high strong voice -- see Chicago `87 and San Francisco `87 - both on April and one show apart. Brilliant.

The ZOO TV versions sound too scripted and plastic, and the hallelujahs don't quite fit the context as much as the intimate versions do.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Joshua Tree and Lovetown were more intimate.

That is definitely a classic line that's hard to forget - "we're making you all Irish tonight."

In the early JT shows, Bono screams "I'm running, I'm gonna run" with a really high strong voice -- see Chicago `87 and San Francisco `87 - both on April and one show apart. Brilliant.

The ZOO TV versions sound too scripted and plastic, and the hallelujahs don't quite fit the context as much as the intimate versions do.

Cheers,

J

could you send me those jick? codeofahero@yahoo.com

Check Your e-mail turn on your speakers and enjoy

:hug: Thank you so much! That's a fantastic version, and I love the extra lyrics. :love:

Hmm... now I'm not sure which version I like best. Extra lyrics vs. the wonderful imagery of people sitting in their cars, tuned in across the UK "all Irish tonight". That always sucks me in, makes me feel like I'm there. Which is funny, since at that moment I was about 11 years old, and was probably tuned in to Debbie Gibson or some similar crap. I think they only way I'll be able to pick between the Rotterdam and Point Depot versions is to listen to them on repeat. Oh, the horror! RTSS is probably the only U2 song I could never get sick of.

In the end, though, I'm picking between two Lovetown versions. I think the Zoo TV version is too explicit. When the drug theme is below the surface, it's a gorgeous piece of writing that could be about heroine or just about any internal struggle. When Bono mimes the drug needle, the subtext becomes text and the meaning of the lyrics becomes narrower.

man this is a great freakin version

he should have done that extra lyric everytime

Back
Top Bottom