RUMOR: U.S. Mini-Tour - February, 2002 (College Arenas)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
A source working at a well-known U.S. university tells U2tours.com that Clear Channel Entertainment is in negotiations for U2 to play a series of live concerts in the U.S. in February. We're told the plans are for about 12 shows across the country at college arenas, with dates planned in between the Super Bowl performance on Feb. 3rd and the Grammy Awards on Feb. 27th.

I know that this is just a rumor, but is it a good idea? I, for one, think that whenever U2 plays live anywhere it is a great idea, but what do the rest of you think?

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 01-25-2002).]

Wow- all I have to say is that if it's true, I really hope they come to Michigan!

I doubt the truth of the rumor, though- it seems like it'd be awfully short notice. Intriguing, nonetheless!

What a sweet rumor!
Let's see, CSUF (Fullerton University) it's just around the corner and they hosted the Brazilian soccer team training for the '94 World cup, there's nice hotels in the area and U2 has many wonderful fans in Orange Co....Come on over boys!!!
smile.gif

Thanks Chris!

[This message has been edited by NicaMom (edited 01-25-2002).]

Mariana...I live across the street from CSUS (Stanislaus University), and B.B. King played here last year, so sounds like an opportune venue for the boys to play in Northern California. That would be a beautiful day to hear U2 songs filling up, raining over, echoing through my city.

Chris

Hmmmm! I rememeber when U2 was in town for something or another back before the Elevation tour there was a rumor that U2 was going to play at USC, and I knew someone who is a security guard there and he says he knows someone big was supposed to play there that time but they cancelled the show. I think it may have been U2, and they cancelled it. For some reason, U2 seems to be having a craving for intimacy with small venues. Remember the pre-Elevation ATYCLB promotional tour? Irving Plaza, Astoria, and almost The House of Blues in L.A. on 12/1. Yes, U2 was supposed to play the House of Blues in L.A. on 12/1/2000 after the My VH-1 Awards but they cancelled that one too but that one was so close to being done that they already had the security badges for the show made, it was Club Tour 2000 and listed HOB. But it never happend. So maybe U2 has some unfulfilled desire to play to very small audiences still in their system. Maybe its because they have huge audiences for Superbowl and Grammys and then the stadium european tour so maybe they want to get the last of the small shows out of their system.

BUT, this is probably just a rumor by someone to get all the diehard (and bored) U2 fans re-stirred up! I remain objectively skeptical...

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
Wow- all I have to say is that if it's true, I really hope they come to Michigan!

Yes, I'm not too far from Michigan...only 45 minutes from Ann Arbor!

------------------
You will believe in me
And I can never be ignored

Hey Camilo buddy...I still got you to write a pretty convincing piece that U2 still have a desire to play some small venues in their system...and I love the objectively skeptical attitude...may it prove us wrong just this one time.
wink.gif

Chris

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:

Definitely!!

Oh, wait...I'm poor...and I don't think my parents will buy me tickets again so soon...

Aw, crap. *lol* *sigh*

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Originally posted by NicaMom:

Let's see, CSUF (Fullerton University) it's just around the corner and they hosted the Brazilian soccer team training for the '94 World cup, there's nice hotels in the area and U2 has many wonderful fans in Orange Co....Come on over boys!!!
smile.gif

From your lips to Paul's ears!!!!!

Although CSULB is closer, and they do have the Pyramid.

[This message has been edited by martha (edited 01-26-2002).]

i guess the band can't afford all the extra airfare.

------------------
how much are you worth?

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 01-26-2002).]

I would say this is very unlikely. As U2LA said, I'am also objectively skeptical.

As far as playing a college in Michigan. I'am a University of Michigan fan but the Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor is a terrible venue. As much as I hate to say it. The Breslin Center at Michigan State would be a much better arena for a concert and I would think much more likely if this deal were to happen.

Since SuperBowl Sunday is 8 days away..I find this rumor to be very unlikely. Tix would need to be on sale by now for the first few shows at least.
Maybe they are tring to work out which 12 schools to play at, using a BCS-style formula to rank the top 12 U2 colleges
wink.gif

I agree that this seems quite unlikely.

However, the good thing about this rumor is that we'll know for sure within, like, a week. At most.

I also heard the rumour that the new U2 album will be more like POP and because of the disappointing POP sales will not be released in the U.S.

apparently people who will try to import it will be fined severely

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

maybe U2 should stay in the states for that period. but they should just appear randomly around the continent. go to whatever city somewhere and have paul drop them off, set up edge's guitar to take donations.
completely random. atlanta, edmonton, san jose, seattle, boston, quebec city, long island, windsor, omaha. or whatever.

------------------
i thought i knew you.

Great idea! Also, I say if they're going for intimate, why stop at clubs? They could play living rooms.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
I would say this is very unlikely. As U2LA said, I'am also objectively skeptical.

As far as playing a college in Michigan. I'am a University of Michigan fan but the Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor is a terrible venue. As much as I hate to say it. The Breslin Center at Michigan State would be a much better arena for a concert and I would think much more likely if this deal were to happen.

The same goes for Allen Field House at the University of Kansas. The acoustics are the worst I have heard anywhere for any arena for any event.

*spoken with blind faith and hope*

The University of Oklahoma is ready and willing! I saw a Tori Amos concert at the Lloyd Noble Center and the acoustics were just fine. We'd love to have the band stop by. They can stay at my house if they need a place to hang out.
wink.gif

And I don't totally think this couldn't happen. Some of the last dates of the Elevation Tour went on sale 10 days before the concert. So, I'll be cautiously vigilant, just in case!

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

WOW, YES, AWESOME idea.....and you just know "IT WOULD WORK"....hey guys: We have BU, Harvard, MIT, Brandies, Bentley.....and, Bono, considering you worked with "Harvard" personnel on the whole "Drop The Debt" campaign; well let's just say I'm sure they would love to catch up on things with you.....not to mention the other thousands of fans here in good 'ol BEAN TOWN!!!!!

maybe they wont SELL tickets.

And what the Hell! They should be back in the studio recording when they are not performing on Super Bowl or Grammys.

New album Summer 2002, I want it!!!!

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Mariana...I live across the street from CSUS (Stanislaus University), and B.B. King played here last year, so sounds like an opportune venue for the boys to play in Northern California. That would be a beautiful day to hear U2 songs filling up, raining over, echoing through my city.

Chris
Aww, it would be awesome!
I don't care if it's just a rumor, I enjoy dreaming.
smile.gif

Speaking of B.B. King, I kept hoping he would join U2 during this past tour and treat us to "When Love comes to town".
frown.gif

maybe they wont SELL tickets.
I was thinking about that too Camilo, and if they did sell them they'd give priority to the students.

They could play living rooms.
*telling kids to pick up their legos and getting the windex out*
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
HG--you're a Tori Amos fan? I LOVE her! Did you see the Fall 2001 tour? I missed the show I had tickets for due to my best friend's death a few days before. He turned me onto Tori and I couldn't bear to see her again without him.

Anyway, I really hope the rumours are true--I just can't get too excited about another stadium tour and to have the opportunity to see U2 again in a small arena would be heaven.

Yes, Tori is one of the best. I didn't see the 2001 tour---I was in the process of moving across the country and starting grad school and just couldn't get my act together. But I did see her on the Dew Drop Inn tour and the Plugged tour.

There's a Tori thread over in the lemonade stand, if you want to join in and talk about her more. I'll be over there!

And by the way...meditation, Tori, we have a few things in common!
biggrin.gif

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

As much as I would love it if they came back to the states (especially somewhere in Illinois or at least the midwest), I really need to save my money. and anyway, I can't afford to miss any more classes. but i REALLY want to see U2 again.

------------------
"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, CHICAGO!" ~ Bono (during Stay) at Chicago 10/16/01

"Home, that's where Chicago is!" ~ Bono (during Walk On) at Chicago 10/16/01

Back
Top Bottom