Rumor: No More Touring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
This little trinket was poted on the @U2 site:

U2 Manager Blames Record Company

Worldpop, September 12, 2001

U2's manager Paul McGuinness has accused the band's record company, Universal of not doing enough to help the group's last album reach No. 1 in the US.

McGuinness has accused the company of poor organisation when it comes to new releases and is reportedly furious that the company decided to release Jay Z's Roc La Familia 2000 in the same week. Jay Z's album short straight to No. 1 after it was released on 31 October, the same week that U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind debuted at No. 3 on the chart.
McGuinness said: "It was extremely annoying that U2 didn't go to No. 1. It was particularly annoying that it was dislodged by another artist from the same company."

According to unofficial rumours from U2's record company and unofficial reports on various U2 fansites, the band plan to give up touring for good after their current Elevation world tour and concentrate solely on making studio albums.

? Worldpop, 2001.

Reread that last little paragraph. What the hell is going on?

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

I read this too and wondered the same thing. Rumours like this abound and are most likely not to be true, however it does strike a chord. There are also current rumours that they will tour again behind a new album. Who's to say?

Well, I haven't seen any of the "various U2 websites" that have propagated this rumor -- not Interference, AtU2, YouTwo.net, or U2Log; not any of these major sites or any minor site.

Given that -- and how successful this tour has been on the levels of both the experience and the bottom line (profits) -- I put no creedence into the rumor.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba
September, streets capsizing,
Spilling over, down the drain

"You know, by God, I actually pity those poor bastards we're goin' up against. By God, I do. We're not just gonna shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy...bastards by the bushel."
from the film Patton

Touring is in U2's blood. They will not stop.

The day the stop touring is the day they stop making music. Just try and stop Bono. Come on people!!!! Being onstage keeps the man alive.
wink.gif

Don't worry... I read that before the official announcment. They still come, don't worry
smile.gif

cheers and have a good gig..

------------------
La resignacion es un suicido permanente

I think these guys are on crack. They are are reporting an unofficial rumour on fansites that i haven't seen head nor tail of. This is just a rumour of a rumour, folks.. no need to get your panties in a knot.

That said, maybe U2 will give up touring after this one.. who knows. I hope not, but I could see it happening.

Well I remember hearing this rumor after the Popmart tour too, and look what happened!

------------------
"Look what you did you little JERK!"

"Kevin! You're such a disease!"

I have heard the no more touring/their breaking up rumor before and after every U2 album and tour since The Joshua Tree. Basically, dont believe the hype on this one. The band has said they are having a great time on this tour and they are raking in money. They wont stop now, that is for certain.

The rumors I have heard are the exact opposite. The rumors I have been hearing are that they are going back into the studio after the fall leg and record an album or EP and then tour stadiums in Europe, Australia and Japan next summer and fall. That may not happen either but it sounds more realistic than the no more touring crap.

Yeah I heard that McGuinness was pissed at Universal but not the added "no more tours" part. I think they will tour again, maybe not as much but I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt.

Also, U2 is going to stop touring regularly at some point in their career, dont ya think?

I guess it depends how long until the next album is released if we're talking only a few years then I am sure they will tour again.Don't know if I wanna see a 50 year old Bono touring though kind of like to remember them as they are now and possibly mid forties but hell I dunno!
I will keep going to see them as long as they keep touring
smile.gif

I'll have my walking stick and so will Bono.

i asked bono in birmingham and he said there was no way they are gonna quit touring, they are having the best time now, that they have ever had and wanna make more albums and do more tours!!

Rumors also said that Bono was in the WTC and that wasn't true! I bet this one isn't either. Bono KNOWS I haven't seen 'em live yet and so he's holding out for me! I swear!

------------------
~*Mona*~
"Heaven on earth -- we need it now" -U2-

"Peace does not mean getting your way.
Your ugliness could be my beauty,
your ugliness could be me."

U2 will delay the ticket sales dates for the first five gigs apparently... I don't know much though.... could anybody lighten us... that would still change our minds about violence...

cheers

------------------
La resignacion es un suicido permanente

Back
Top Bottom