Roth takes a jab at U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ifeelnumb84

War Child
from livedaily.com:
David Lee Roth, on what the Van Halen reunion shows will be like:

"There's a whole lot of change going on, [the songs] are updated, we upgraded," Roth continued of the music. "It's the same way they moved the Mustang into the future, and that's what you expect. You don't want to see the same old band, the U2 guys with the mullets, you want something that delights, that entertains and astonishes… and that's all by the second song."

Personally, I think Roth is just kinda nutty and probably has nothing against U2, and probably knows very little about U2 shows. I think he just wants to distance Van Halen from what he views as typical, greatest hits oriented, arena rock, and give people a reason to think that this latest incarnation of Van Halen might actually kick ass.
All that being said, I'm actually looking forward to this reunion because of both the music and the trainwreck that it eventually will become.

Was he actually insulting them?

I kind of took his comment to mean that they weren't going to be the same VH like in the 80's kinda like we wouldn't want U2 to be the same band as they were in the 80's (with mullets)...

I dunno, maybe not.

It's the same way they moved the Mustang into the future, and that's what you expect.
...is he talking about the new Mustang? Because since the 2005 model it's been ugly as hell :tsk: It's like a 64 and an 04 (both of which were beautiful on their own) combined to make a really ugly baby :sick:

In other news, remember when those folks from the Van Halen forum tried to infiltrate Interference? That was funny! :lol:

Yeah I'm sure the Van Halen tour will be awe inspiring in its' freshness and originality. All new version of Hot For Teacher, circa 2007 . Zebra spandex leggings instead of leopard print.

It was a hilarious press conference. Looks like it might turn into another bash the U2 basher thread.

Yeah, there's nothing rude about what he said. He was just using an example to prove his point.

If Bono still had the Irish Falcon mullet, something would be terribly wrong.

JD Roth? :scratch:

pf-30.jpg

Dusty Bottoms said:

"Roth is just a bitter old man."

Indeed. I bet he can't tell the difference between U2 and Coldplay either. :tsk: Oh, and his music sucks. Just because he doesn't like U2. :down:

:scratch: was this really a jab?

I think sometimes people on message boards look for stuff that isnt there to stir it up. This would be one of those time. :wink:

If anything, he's taking a jab at the ridiculousness of the mullet. But nobody had good hair in the 80s. And we all make fun of the mullet. Hell, a caption on a photo of MulletBono in U2 by U2 refers to Bono as "man with raccoon on his head", and Bono himself described it as a cross between a badger and a mollusk. So really, it's no big deal :shrug:

Agreed with those saying it isn't a jab. DLR is specifically saying that Van Halen is going to be familiar, but isn't going to be the same old group that it used to be, they're evolving; just like U2 did from the mullet wearing boys of the 80's into the ah, balding guys of the 2000's :)

LemonMelon said:
Oh, and his music sucks. Just because he doesn't like U2. :down:

Oh, well you're wrong there, Dave actually appreciates U2's music...he was saying no one wants to see U2 2007 wearing their haircuts from 1985...:eek: And neither does anyone want to see 2007 Van Halen/Roth in the same torn T-shirt, leopard print spandex...and they won't.

Dave is much smarter than you all give him credit for...:yes:

Blue Room said:
:scratch: was this really a jab?

I think sometimes people on message boards look for stuff that isnt there to stir it up. This would be one of those time. :wink:

Yeah, sorry folks. I read this on livedaily, posted here, then saw the press conference.
After seeing the press conference, I realize that Roth wasn't taking a jab at U2, and was actually complimenting them. That being said, mullets rule.

Re: Re: Roth takes a jab at U2

DreamOutLoud13 said:

In other news, remember when those folks from the Van Halen forum tried to infiltrate Interference? That was funny! :lol:

That was great! Good times were had in the ZC IB thread from that incident. :yes:

D.L.R. is friends with Henry Rollins, so they may have a U2 hatred society.

Re: Re: Roth takes a jab at U2

DreamOutLoud13 said:

...is he talking about the new Mustang? Because since the 2005 model it's been ugly as hell :tsk: It's like a 64 and an 04 (both of which were beautiful on their own) combined to make a really ugly baby :sick:

:angry: :angry: :angry:

this is waaaaayyy more offensive than anything Roth said.

Hey guys how about we post pics of cool cars instead of analyzing whether or not something some guy said might be (omg!!!) slightly negative about U2, as if it is a crime to not grovel at U2's feet

Black.jpg

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom