Rollingstone Review of HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VertiGone

Acrobat
Halfway through the excellent new U2 album, Bono announces, "I like the sound of my own voice." Well-said, lad; well-said. Ever since U2 started making noise in Dublin several hundred bloody Sundays ago, Bono has grooved to the sound of his own gargantuan rockness. Ego, shmego -- this is one rock-star madman who should never scale down his epic ambitions. As the old Zen proverb goes, you will find no reasonable men on the tops of great mountains, and U2's brilliance is their refusal to be reasonable. U2 were a drag in the 1990s, when they were trying to be cool, ironic hipsters. Feh! Nobody wants a skinny Santa, and for damn sure nobody wants a hipster Bono. We want him over the top, playing with unforgettable fire. We want him to sing in Latin or feed the world or play Jesus to the lepers in his head. We want him to be Bono. Nobody else is even remotely qualified.
U2 bring that old-school, wide-awake fervor to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The last time we heard from them, All That You Can't Leave Behind, U2 were auditioning for the job of the World's Biggest Rock & Roll Band. They trimmed the Euro-techno pomp, sped up the tempos and let the Edge define the songs with his revitalized guitar. Well, they got the job.

On Atomic Bomb, they're not auditioning anymore. This is grandiose music from grandiose men, sweatlessly confident in the execution of their duties. Hardly any of the eleven songs break the five-minute mark or stray from the punchy formula of All That You Can't Leave Behind. They've gotten over their midcareer anxiety about whether they're cool enough. Now, they just hand it to the Edge and let it rip.

During the course of Atomic Bomb, you will be urged to ponder death ("Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"), birth ("Original of the Species"), God ("Yahweh"), love ("A Man and a Woman"), war ("Love and Peace or Else") and peace ("City of Blinding Lights"), which barely gives you time to ponder whether the bassist has been listening to Interpol. "Vertigo" sets the pace, a thirty-second ad jingle blown up to three great minutes, with a riff nicked from Sonic Youth's "Dirty Boots." "City of Blinding Lights" begins with a long Edge guitar intro, building into a bittersweet lament. "Yahweh" continues a U2 tradition, the album-closing chitchat with the Lord. It's too long and too slow, but that's part of the tradition.

Like all U2 albums, Atomic Bomb has false steps, experimental bathroom breaks and moments when the lofty ambitions crash into the nearest wall. As America staggers punch-drunk into another four-year moment we can't get out of, it would be a real pleasure if the political tunes had any depth. (How long? How long must we sing this song?) But Bono scores a direct hit on "One Step Closer," an intimate ballad about his father's death from cancer in 2001; "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" is the song U2 did at the funeral. When Bono sings, "You're the reason why I have the operas in me," his grief and his grandiosity seem to come from the same place in his heart. It's a reminder that what makes U2 so big isn't really their clever ideas, or even their intelligence -- it's the warmth that all too few rock stars have any idea how to turn into music.

4/5

VertiGone said:
"Yahweh" continues a U2 tradition, the album-closing chitchat with the Lord. It's too long and too slow, but that's part of the tradition.

LOL! I disagree with that bit, but that review was quite funny.

not a bad review and all, but it's really sad how downhill Rolling Stone has gone over the past few years. compare this review with even the review of ATYCLB, let alone AB or JT, and the difference is amazing. and disheartening. it would be nice if they let the reviewer actually listen to the album or comment on the songs as opposed to celbrity-fied narratives of Bono's ambitions or U2's history.

I agree with others; I was a bit surprised at how "plain" this RS review seemed compared to U2's others. It was almost as if they were saying "yeah, yeah, U2 put out another great album, 4 stars, moving right along..."

Still nice to see them get another 4 star review. I think only JT (5 stars) and AB (4 1/2 stars) got better reviews?

I echoe the sentiments while the 4 out 5 stars review is good, there is nothing memorable in the review. I mean they even gave Pop 4 stars. I think it has a lot do with the reviewer, Rob Sheffield, he's RS' resident pop music critic, I'd have preferred someone like David Fricke or Anthony DeCurtis review the album they seem to be best music critics RS employs.

But yea it seems there a lot of nitpicks and the 4 star rating was more a forced rating rather than one that the reviewer was gushing about the album..

VertiGone said:
It's a reminder that what makes U2 so big isn't really their clever ideas, or even their intelligence -- it's the warmth that all too few rock stars have any idea how to turn into music.

VERY TRUE!!! :up:

Me likes! :applaud:

ATYCLB also got 4 stars from RS. ...The HTDAAB review is weak. No detailed discussion of the songs whatsoever, just the writer demonstrating that he knows what U2 is like. [And what's up with the swipes at "Vertigo" and "Yahweh," two of the best tracks on the album?] I was really hoping for at least 4 1/2 stars for this one, too. Ah well!

Last edited:
I dunno about that Interpol thing, I've only heard 2 of their songs.

Would it have taken up too much length to say who the bassist is? Not a hard name to remember, hehe Adam.

Bit off-topic, but Adam does have an interesting preference in music, the bands/artists I've seen listed as ones he likes, few of them I've even heard of.

Last edited:
OMG they're so stupid. Every U2 album should get a 5/5 because they're the best band evar and bono is the bestest singer. I'm tired of this. i'm so mad.

shart1780 said:
OMG they're so stupid. Every U2 album should get a 5/5 because they're the best band evar and bono is the bestest singer. I'm tired of this. i'm so mad.

I don't think everyone's gripe is the album rating, I think the gripe is just the general review being bad, not bad like it bashes U2, because it doesn't. It's bad because it's just not written well and not very thourough.

I could also just be missing your joke? Sorry, I am in an over analytical mood. This usually happens when thinking about Radiohead too much.

Last edited:
VertiGone said:
Halfway through the excellent new U2 album, Bono announces, "I like the sound of my own voice." Well-said, lad; well-said. Ever since U2 started making noise in Dublin several hundred bloody Sundays ago, Bono has grooved to the sound of his own gargantuan rockness. Ego, shmego -- this is one rock-star madman who should never scale down his epic ambitions. As the old Zen proverb goes, you will find no reasonable men on the tops of great mountains, and U2's brilliance is their refusal to be reasonable. ............. When Bono sings, "You're the reason why I have the operas in me," his grief and his grandiosity seem to come from the same place in his heart. It's a reminder that what makes U2 so big isn't really their clever ideas, or even their intelligence -- it's the warmth that all too few rock stars have any idea how to turn into music.

4/5

VertiGone,

Are you sure you didn't write this review yourself? :)

No diss to you, VertiGone. But i would be disappointed if this was a professional review. I've written a few album reviews for local indie newspapers, and I know I could do a more solid job than this.

Where did you get this anyway? Is this review on the newsstands already? I don't see it online.

david said:

I don't think everyone's gripe is the album rating, I think the gripe is just the general review being bad, not bad like it bashes U2, because it doesn't. It's bad because it's just not written well and not very thourough.

I could also just be missing your joke? Sorry, I am in an over analytical mood. This usually happens when thinking about Radiohead too much.

I wasn't making fun of anyone fore saying it wasn't very well written. I don't think it's that great of a review either. I was just making fun of the people who get angry at anyone who doesn't give the album a perfect score.

I like Rolling Stone magazine. However, that review was somewhat mediocre... read like it was written by some 80s obsessed teeny fanboy/ fangirl... No hook and the Sonic Youth mention was goofy. The ATYCLB review from a while ago was more interesting read even though I didn't agree with it.

Re: Re: Rollingstone Review of HTDAAB

xovonob now! said:

VertiGone,

Are you sure you didn't write this review yourself? :)

No diss to you, VertiGone. But i would be disappointed if this was a professional review. I've written a few album reviews for local indie newspapers, and I know I could do a more solid job than this.

Where did you get this anyway? Is this review on the newsstands already? I don't see it online.

I'm pretty sure i could have written a better review than this. It seems like a lot of these mags are being awfully conservative in their assessment of this album (except NME oddly enough). You can't really be criticized for giving a 4 out of 5 to a U2 album, but it would be refreshing to see someone either give it a 3 or a 5 and then proceed to explain their reasoning, instead of just slapping on a 4 and talking about the history of U2 and Bono's importance in the world these days. Then again, it's tough to write a review before knowing the full impact of the record on the masses.

VertiGone said:
U2 were a drag in the 1990s, when they were trying to be cool, ironic hipsters. Feh! Nobody wants a skinny Santa, and for damn sure nobody wants a hipster Bono.
4/5

This reviewers another asshole who has dissed U2's 90's work. What a dickhead. There best music was done in the 90's. The only thing he has got right is that the albums probably worth 4/5.

Back
Top Bottom