Rolling Stone's Best Of Rock 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevated_u2_fan

Blue Crack Supplier
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/20200609

U2 have three entries:

Best New Reissues
U2
The Joshua Tree

A killer 1987 Paris concert DVD makes this set worth the price alone, but fourteen bonus tracks — especially "Wave of Sorrow" — show U2's masterpiece could have been a double album.

Best Rock Movie
U2 3D

The Irish superstars have released concert films for every tour they've done back to 1987. So when U2 hit the road in 2005, they were determined to do something different. What they wound up with — the first 3-D concert movie ever — is a technical and artistic feat unlike any other rock-concert film before it. Shot over eight nights during the group's March 2006 South American leg, U2 3D is a 360-degree immersion into a perfectly realized concert — one minute you're shoulder to shoulder with the Edge, the next you're dropped into the thick of the frenzied pit.

"When we come into town, Rattle and Hum is often playing the night before the show," says U2 manager Paul McGuinness. "Twenty years on, it'll be U2 3D — I'd rather they saw that anyway."

Best Guitar Tech

Dallas Schoo

In late 1986 guitar technician Dallas Schoo was faced with a difficult decision: stay on the road with hair metal band Mr. Mister or sign on with U2 for their forthcoming Joshua Tree tour. The decision wasn't as easy then as it sounds now: Mr. Mister had two massive radio hits and a successful tour going, and an intensive sit-down interview with all four members of U2 hadn't endeared him to the new group. Bono had pressed him hard about his religious views and Larry Mullen Jr. pushed him harder about his drug habits. Unable to decide, Shoo turned to legendary concert promoter Bill Graham for advice. "He said 'Listen dude, drop everything you're doing,' " Schoo says. " 'These kids are going to be mega.'"

It was the best advice Schoo has ever gotten. Over the past twenty years, he has been by The Edge's side at every single concert and recording session, making sure his fleet of fifty-plus rare guitars are in perfect working order. During U2 downtime he's gone on tour with Bruce Springsteen and Pearl Jam — though last year Edge decided he needed him 365 days a year and made him a full-time employee. U2 are currently recording their long-awaited new album in Dublin with producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, and Schoo is one of a small handful of people in the studio for every single take. "Bono will often say, 'Here's the lyric to the track we want to work on tomorrow,' " Schoo explains. "He'll say, 'Have a guitar sound for Edge that might reflect this attitude.' "

When U2 are on tour, Schoo's role is even more vital. "I lose about two pounds per performance," he says. "If something goes wrong with Edge's guitar there's only one person in that 80,000 seat stadium that's going to get him going again — and that's me. If Edge goes out, the whole thing stops." To avoid any such mishaps, Schoo tests all the guitars onstage before U2's performance each night. It's a lengthy ritual that has made him a cult figure amongst hardcore U2 fans who chant his name as he checks the gear (they've even created an online fan community devoted to him). Though the constant touring leaves him time for little else, Schoo says he's willing to make the sacrifice. "There's a hundred dudes and a hundred chicks right behind me ready to do this," he says. "When you sign on for this it takes your life."

Beatles remasters :drool:

Oh man I wanna listen to those 2 streaming tracks for comparison but can't at work. :grumpy:

I met Dallas in Texas (Austin & Dallas) in 2001, our group even shared a quick drink with him in Austin the night before the show. He seems like a really cool dude, we enjoyed him and he didnt seem too annoyed by us :wink: We saw him later that month at Reunion Arena and he spoke with us briefly while stepping out of a big rig and talking on the phone...great guy.

Yeah, that's a cool little piece on Dallas. Good for him.

Corporate magazines still suck, though.

On a side-note, if any of you are into Electronica or DJs, on that RollingStone list at #30 out of 45 pages, they have an awesome HALF-HOUR "sample" of Flosstradamus.

It's about 1/3 of the way down the page where it says "Play This". I thought it was just going to be a minute or so, but it's at 19 minutes and only 1/2 way through. :drool:

Nice to see Dallas in RS,

"Bono had pressed him hard about his religious views and Larry Mullen Jr. pushed him harder about his drug habits"

Typical LOLOLO

Did anyone see the other news info in the current issue of Rolling Stone about U2 and Live Nation? They inked a deal with Live Nation.. Live Nation will promote the next twelve years of touring for U2...

david said:
Did anyone see the other news info in the current issue of Rolling Stone about U2 and Live Nation? They inked a deal with Live Nation.. Live Nation will promote the next twelve years of touring for U2...

There has been extensive discussion of this issue on this board when the news first came out.

Great thing that Dallas got mentioned in RS.

I think they will be still showing Rattle and Hum in 20 years instead of U23D as McGuinness seems to think....

david said:

what implications will this have?

COBL_04 said:

what implications will this have?

Not much considering these are the same people who have been doing the tours. The only difference is instead of just doing a contract for one tour it covers a twelve year period. The other stuff like merchandising and website is also probably not much diff because Live Nation had already bought out the companies that were handling that to begin with.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom