Rolling Stone: U2 Sweep Critic and Fan Picks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
This sounds good, really good. More news I got thru e-mail from @U2:

Rolling Stone
January 2002

U2 Sweep Critic and Fan Picks

"Sum 41 win over readers, Bob Dylan and Alicia Keys impress the
critics, and U2 rock everybody...If there's anything rock & roll fans
can agree on right now, it has to be U2: both our critics and our
readers picked U2 as the band that spoke to our hopes, fears and
nightmares all year long, with a string of hard-hitting singles and a
tour you'll be bragging to your grandchildren about. Readers picked All
That You Can't Leave Behind as the album of the year; critics didn't,
just because it was a 2000 release that made our best-of list last
year..."

READERS' PICKS

Artist of the Year
1. U2
2. Sum 41
3. Britney Spears

Best Male Performer
1. Bono
2. Micheal Jackson
3. Usher

Best Band
1. U2
2. Sum 41
3. 'N Sync

Best Album
1. U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
2. Sum 41 - All Killer No Filler
3. 'N Sync - Celebrity

Best Single
1. Sum 41 - "Fat Lip"
2. U2 - "Beautiful Day"
3. U2 - "Walk On"

Best Video
1. Sum 41 - "In Too Deep"
2. U2 - "Elevation"
3. U2 - "Beautiful Day"

Best Tour
1. U2
2. 'N Sync
3. Sum 41

Best Album Cover
1. U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
2. Sum 41 - All Killer No Filler
3. 'N Sync - Celebrity

Best Soundtrack
1. Tomb Raider
2. American Pie 2
3. Moulin Rouge

Best Rock Artist
1. U2
2. Sum 41
3. Linkin Park

Most Welcome Comeback
1. Micheal Jackson
2. U2
3. Weezer

Best Online Fan Site
1. U2
2. Sum 41
3. 'N Sync

CRITICS' PICKS

Top Singles
1. Missy Elliot - "Get Ur Freak On"
2. Gorillaz - "Clint Eastwood"
3. U2 - "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of"

Artist of the Year
1. Bob Dylan
2. U2
3. Alicia Keys

Best Band
1. U2
2. Dave Mathews Band
3. The Strokes

Best Male Performer
1. Bono
2. Jay-Z
3. Ryan Adams

Best Tour
1. U2
2. Bob Dylan
3. Radiohead

? Rolling Stone, 2002.
smile.gif

Congratulations U2 for a heralded year in the eyes of fans and critics alike. For those of us who have been fans for years of the band, we are not going to speak of overexposure, but bask in what we have known for a long time, and that is that U2 deserves every accolade they receive, because they give there all to their music and fans, and because they have been doing the same thing for 25 years in an uncompromising and passionate way.

Chris

That is awesome!! Our boys had a great year. It does bother me that they are calling it a comeback though, the band didn't go anywhere, some fans did!!!

------------------
Official Dog-Walker of the ScottPhisto Society

I don't mean to be arrogant, but ...I do feel that we are meant to be one of the great groups. - Bono, Rolling Stone, 1981

Interesting that Michael Jackson got such a look-in there. His star must burn brighter than I'd thought.

------------------
"I may go crazy
before that mansion on the hill
but my heart keeps beating faster
and my feet can't keep still..."

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
Interesting that Michael Jackson got such a look-in there. His star must burn brighter than I'd thought.

Nope. He just has a lot of money!! He is apparently recieving a "Musician of the Century" award at the AMA's. Shouldn't that go to someone who has produced music for more then 20 years. What about Frank Sinatra???

Originally posted by spinninghead77:

Nope. He just has a lot of money!! He is apparently recieving a "Musician of the Century" award at the AMA's. Shouldn't that go to someone who has produced music for more then 20 years. What about Frank Sinatra???

Michael is crazy - just saw this on eonline.com:

MAN IN THE VIDEO: Instead of performing live, Michael Jackson opting to send a video of a performance of his 1988 hit "Man in the Mirror" to the American Music Awards to preserve his chances of performing at this year's Grammy Awards. Jackson will show up to receive the Artist of the Century Award.

Can you imagine the nerve of this guy?! Sending a 14 year old performance?! Freak! LOL!
smile.gif

Originally posted by HelloAngel:

MAN IN THE VIDEO: Instead of performing live, Michael Jackson opting to send a video of a performance of his 1988 hit "Man in the Mirror" to the American Music Awards to preserve his chances of performing at this year's Grammy Awards. Jackson will show up to receive the Artist of the Century Award.

Can you imagine the nerve of this guy?! Sending a 14 year old performance?! Freak! LOL!
smile.gif

artist of the century? lmao!

so in allllll the years from 1900 to 2000, we're supposed to buy that Michael Jackson is the consumate artist? That's just laughable.
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by spinninghead77:

Hmmm, yes. Did you see Michael Jackson's recent 10-15 minute (whatever it was) music video, for his new single? I sat through that one night, just thinking to myself: what is this guy on?

Cool. But what's up with this Sum 41 crap?

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Originally posted by HelloAngel:

smile.gif

Dick Clark, producer of the AMA's recently came out and criticized the Grammy organizers(I beleive he also sued them) for threatening to leave out of the grammy's performers who also appear on the AMA's.
I hadn't heard about Jackson's move but I'm sure Clark is rather upset about it.

------------------
itsyourworldyoucanchangeit

SUM 41???? WHAT THE FUCK?? that's some pretty messed up shit. now i think it's rigged. Sum 41 as third best tour? I've seen them playing live on TV and the singer just can't. sing that is.

Ok hoprray for U2 but as an outraged punk (yeah being angry, young and poor...) I have to say. SUM 41 WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT??????? They are nothing but a boy band for little girls who want to be "bad." Fuck that. I am offended that one of their mentally challenged little fans wears a Dropkick Murphy's shirt in their video. If they are going to drag the Dropkicks into this the least they could do is play some slightly good music. They are so un punk-rock. Flarg!!!!

mad.gif
GAO
mad.gif

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

http://www.iloveham.com/

Back
Top Bottom