Rolling Stone: "U2 greatest hits comp, may drop before Christmas"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebloodonelife

Blue Crack Addict
Just saw this in the newest issue of Rolling Stone, in an article talking about the failing record business hoping on fall releases to save the year...might be interesting to see how that would work, 1980-1990, 1990-2000, then 2000-2006??

all I can say is "wtf???"

everyone and their mother is doing a "greatest hits" album this fall now.

???

I come back from vacation and have now entered a place where nothing makes sense anymore.

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
:eyebrow: I don't get it.....but I hope they have enough songs from ATYCLB (minus the ones on 1990-2000) and HTDAAB

Expect Elevation and Walk On, the other two singles.

HTDAAB would give you Vertigo, Sometimes, and COBL for sure. Probably also OOTS and maybe ABOY or LAPOE.

They may as well just re-release HTDAAB with a couple more bonus tracks or something. A "Best Of" at this point makes absolutely no sense, at least in the format that we're used to.

yeah, this is horribly stupid, no chance, no chance

they'll do a 2000-2010 one after (hopefully) 2 more albums

Are you looking at the Rolling Stone with Zeppelin on the cover? I don't see anything in there talking about U2 and a greatest hits comp.

This sounds like a pile of crap to me, but if it weren't, maybe a "Rest of the Best" and a new song or two recorded during those supposed upcoming sessions with Rubin?

XHendrix24 said:
They may as well just re-release HTDAAB with a couple more bonus tracks or something. A "Best Of" at this point makes absolutely no sense, at least in the format that we're used to.

I was thinking the same thing

The newest issue has x-tina on the cover.

What does the article say exactly re:U2? Quotes would be nice...

Maybe it would make sense if it was the so dreamed by I and others :

U2 The best of 80-06 live

Otherwise doesn't make any sense .......... I mean a BOX with all the possible and coming dvds would be possible , something to celebrate their 30th anniversary and all together with the book , but a compilation of Studio songs ???????
:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :huh:

U2dork said:
The newest issue has x-tina on the cover.

What does the article say exactly re:U2? Quotes would be nice...

Oh, okay. I haven't gotten that one yet.

Regardless, I call shenanigans on the rumor.

jonnytakeawalk said:
That's crazy!!!!!! There's no way they will do that!

What would go on it? BD and SYCMIOYO were already on 1990-2000.

i think your getting Sometimes you cant make it on your own mixed up with Stuck in a moment you cant get out of, SIAMYCGOO was on 1990-2000, why i have no clue it came out in 2001. all i could think of them putting on a 2000-2006 best of would be

1.Elevation Tomb Raider mix
2.Vertigo
3.Walk on
5.Sometime you cant make it on your own
6.all beacuse of you
7.city of blinding lights
, thats every single since ATYCLB excluding stuck in a moment and Beautiful day

No way is that true. Why, if they have released two decade best ofs, would they go and muck it up with a six year best of when only seven songs have been released? A greatest hits comp? No chance in my opinion. Maybe an EP with some of the songs that were released on iTunes, or something in the vein of that Seven thing they released a few years back with Summer Rain, etc on it.

Just as a thought, if this were true then the September single rumor would probably be true too. The September single would probably be a new song to put on the greatest hits package. Maybe, Mercy?
From the heartbreaker of 409 to the possible single in September to the Rick Rubin rumor and now to this. My head is spinning. I trying to ignore this stuff but I can't. There's nothing new for months then the rescheduled dates and all of this stuff.
The next few months will be interesting. I just wish I could stop being so intrigued by these rumors. :crazy: :help: :crazy:

Okay, I'm not making this up because that's just stupid. The exact quote is: "Jay-Z's next album may be out by Thanksgiving if he finishes recording in time, sources say, and new Eminem and 50 Cent CDs, as well as a U2 greatest hits comp, may drop before Christmas." This is all on page 16 of the August 24, 2006 issue under the article titled, "Cold Summer, Hot Autumn?"

I don't usually like to post rumors, but I figured that Rolling Stone is a relatively good source and figured that people on the board would like to know. The quote doesn't say what the greatest hits comp would be, it could be different from the Best Ofs that have been released before, I don't know, to be honest, the quote is obviously very vague. I agree that it would be dumb of U2 to put out a Best Of 2000-2006 with only 2 albums, it would be a waste of songs and completely pointless. There would have to either be repeats (BD, Stuck) or most of both albums would be on the comp...

Last edited:
Why are people instantly assuming that if this is true (which it likely is not), the release would be a Best Of 2000-2006? Because that'd be a dumb idea and U2 would never do it.

Ever since I've been on this forum, people have been suggesting a Rest of the Best compilation, to include overlooked material such as Gloria, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Acrobat, and other prominent songs that missed out on making the Best Ofs.

corianderstem said:
Interesting. Thanks for digging out the quote!

No problem. I just don't want people thinking that I'm making up some rumor to get people all excited for a release without some kind of source.

I think U2 should stop releasing greatest hits albums.

When they're retired in about 40 years, then we can get the BOX SET with all the rare and unreleased goodies.

And we would get that on a comact disc, not an I-TUNES menu.

Axver said:
Why are people instantly assuming that if this is true (which it likely is not), the release would be a Best Of 2000-2006? Because that'd be a dumb idea and U2 would never do it.

Ever since I've been on this forum, people have been suggesting a Rest of the Best compilation, to include overlooked material such as Gloria, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Acrobat, and other prominent songs that missed out on making the Best Ofs.

That would be a great comp to see, but it's so good I doubt it will happen.

onebloodonelife said:
The exact quote is: "Jay-Z's next album may be out by Thanksgiving if he finishes recording in time, sources say, and new Eminem and 50 Cent CDs, as well as a U2 greatest hits comp, may drop before Christmas."

Yes. They seems to be pretty straight forward. Maybe the greatest hits comp was going to be a surprise from the band but if it was Rolling Stone just blew the secret. Thanks for the quote onebloodonelife that seems to end the doubt. I guess we have to wait and see what exactly it is. It could be RS called it a greatest hits comp when it is something else that uses familiar songs. The September single seems *very* likely now. Cool, thanks again for the exact quote.

It'll be whatever the record company and everyone else involves thinks will sell the most copies for the Christmas season.

:wink:

corianderstem said:
It'll be whatever the record company and everyone else involves thinks will sell the most copies for the Christmas season.

:wink:

:lol: The kind of sad part is that that's true...

Back
Top Bottom