Rolling Stone Readers pick Springsteen, Matthews, and Pearl Jam over U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
In the most recent issue of the highly acclaimed publication, "Rolling Stone", readers said that all three of those performers were better live acts than our own, U2. Is this the stupidest thing you've ever heard? I can understand why Springsteen would give U2 a run for their money, but Dave Matthews and Pearl Jam? Have you people even been to a U2 show? I doubt it.

they like dave matthews so they can get high/drunk at his show.

plus it's the "in" thing.

:rolleyes:

i :heart: u2 - and dont care who doesn't anymore!

if you're a big dave matthews fan, (I'm not), of course you're gonna vote for him, and I think alot of rolling stone readers fit into his fan base, so I'm not surprised.

also the bruce showing is no shock.

I'm actually really surprised at the pearl jam showing, not because they're not a great live band, but because I thought that their fan base had diminished significantly in the last 5 years.

whatever....if you're on this board, we know who the best live band is.:sexywink:

Obviously, I love U2 and to see them live is an experience, but I just had my first ever Bruce show last week, and I'll have to agree with the RS poll. (Maybe it's just cause I was in the front row. :D)

Bruce is #1, but U2 needs to be in the #2 slot above DMB. That's just sick and wrong.

yaya u2 is great and all live, but thats if you only go to one show.

its like reading the same book over and over again...you know how it always starts (elevation) and you know how it ends (walk on). you know that the encore (is that even an "encore" if you play the same songs over and over again?) will start with bullet.

again, its great, but there was NO excuse for the poor variety. rarely was i surprised with their setlist.

pearl jam on the other hand change their setlist ALL the time. kinda like u2 during the lovetown tour.

how else do they get away with selling every single show of their tour a year ago?

bruce springsteen is amazing. no question about it. i wouldnt put him ahead of u2, but he would be close. that guy just amazes me how cool he is.

dave mathews is ok, but nowhere near as good as the other bands.

heres my list.

1. radiohead
2. u2
3. pearl jam
4. springsteen

i still like watching u2 more than pearl jam, so thats why theyre ahead of them.

Zoomerang96 said:
yaya u2 is great and all live, but thats if you only go to one show.

its like reading the same book over and over again...you know how it always starts (elevation) and you know how it ends (walk on). you know that the encore (is that even an "encore" if you play the same songs over and over again?) will start with bullet.

again, its great, but there was NO excuse for the poor variety. rarely was i surprised with their setlist.

pearl jam on the other hand change their setlist ALL the time. kinda like u2 during the lovetown tour.

how else do they get away with selling every single show of their tour a year ago?

bruce springsteen is amazing. no question about it. i wouldnt put him ahead of u2, but he would be close. that guy just amazes me how cool he is.

dave mathews is ok, but nowhere near as good as the other bands.

heres my list.

1. radiohead
2. u2
3. pearl jam
4. springsteen

i still like watching u2 more than pearl jam, so thats why theyre ahead of them.

well, I totally agree with you.
that's the thing I was bitching and moaning about last year; it was basically the same set list every night for the elevation tour...yeah, yeah...they had 40 different tunes out of which 20 or so were played every night....so what??
pj plays a different set EVERY night, which is why they released 487 bootlegs last year. LOL.
whatever...the quality of the shows is not in question...it's the variety.:silent:

you hit the nail right on the head, jofo, variety IS everything.

i mean you never know if a band like radiohead will have 4 encores or NONE. they write it out right before the show and they have fun with it.

i mean even if they played all the same songs, or as often as they did last tour but put them in different order!!!! it would be far better.

*rants

I think you folks need to remember that a lot of U2 fans only go to one show per tour, so for them it doesn't make a bit of difference if they play the same songs every night.

bonos shades, thats a very good point, but for the band, it HAS to be boring playing the same songs over and over again...

i mean just banging around with the guitar in the shop with my friends gets boring if we stick with the same list of songs, its cool to start and end with different lists all the time.

whatever, im not in u2, lol.

Re: Re: Rolling Stone Readers pick Springsteen, Matthews, and Pearl Jam over U2

oliveu2cm said:

Great generalization. I'm a huge DMB fan AND a huge U2 fan and this is definitely not why I like DMB. If you say that you might as well not care about the huge generalizations made about U2 fans (elitists, etc).

It's just a stupid poll anyways. Rolling Stone has no credibility anymore. I feel sorry for the trees that are cut down to publish that worthless piece of sh*t.

Last edited:
good points, and from what I hear, DMB changes the setlists every night also, and most DMB fans are NOT druggies and burnouts, you seem to have them confused with Phish fans

now I've never been a HUGE Springsteen fan, but I do admire him and know and like many of his songs, I saw him live and the man's brilliant, so is the E Street Band

Pearl Jam are great live, and offer drastic changes in their setlists from one night to the next, and they don't give a fuck if you didn't hear your favorite song that night, they play what they feel like playing

Radiohead seem to offer a show that is the closest anyone is getting to a Pink Floyd type of show in this era, not saying they sound like Pink Floyd, but with their atmosphere and lights, etc.; but hey, just ask Michael Griffiths -- one of the most passionate U2 supporters I have ever seen -- he admitted last year that the Radiohead show he saw was just as good if not better than the U2 show

its only fair to mention that on an emotional level, i find u2 live to be ahead of radiohead. i mean really, there is no feeling better than connecting to u2, not even with radiohead for me.

i dont know if that makes any sense.

i just know that when u2 is appearing sincere to me (even if that means them being ironic, just as long as theyre doing what THEY want), and i can feel their music, there is no band that comes close.

ok, maybe close, but theyre still on top.

yes, that's a fair statement, I had an experience like that the other night listening to Zoo Europa

but it's also fair to say that Radiohead is incredibly intense, really they are all these things (emotional, sincere, etc), they just have a different way of expressing it

Bono's shades said:
I think you folks need to remember that a lot of U2 fans only go to one show per tour, so for them it doesn't make a bit of difference if they play the same songs every night.

I actually went to two shows on the Elevation tour but the second one was a last-minute surprise. It's not possible for me to travel around catching U2 shows. I'm a library clerk. No, it doesn't matter that they do the same set every night. In fact, there are songs I really want to hear live when I do get to go to a show. So this doesn't even affect me, let alone bother me.

o.k. everyone has made really good points on this. I'm gonna stick my neck out and say this:
u2 doesn't play a different setlist every night and play all kinds of tunes from different albums because they can't; simple as that.

before I begin, you all know they are my favorite band. there is nothing else better than seeing them live. always will be my favorite. that being said:

they are not musically capable of, let's say, 15 minutes before a show, saying "hey, let's try indian summer sky tonight".:lmao:
I mean, bono has screwed up the lyrics so many times on tunes they play EVERY night; I can't imagine what trying to pull off something like that would be like. I'll bet you $100 that on the elevation tour they could not have even played "please" all the way through without a train wreck.
here's why:

when they rehearse for a tour, they put all their energy into those 2 dozen or so tunes they're gonna play every night so they sound good....and that's it. edge doesn't go back to the hotel room then and pull out his guitar and "practice" their old tunes; neither does adam....hell, I wonder how much bono practiced "bad" or "stay"
:banghead:

anyway...."best band in the world"? certainly my favorite.
best?....well, let's start with the musical ability to vary a setlist, and we'll go from there.:)

now go ahead and rip me apart for criticizing u2.:silent:

Actually, I totally agree with you. I don't think they could change it on the spot either...

Still my favorite live though, with Springsteen probably in second...

Re: Re: Rolling Stone Readers pick Springsteen, Matthews, and Pearl Jam over U2

oliveu2cm said:

:up: I agree with that. I know lots of DMB fans who do just that. I mean, what is even the point of that? Arg! People are so stupid sometimes...But, yeah, I've learned to not care what other people think. I'm the only die hard U2 fan among my circle of friends (unless you count my mom :happy).

Back
Top Bottom