Rolling Stone Magazine Coverage (New article 1/7/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I did not read all the 14 pages....but "Cedars of lebanon" happens to be "Winter" and Tripoli is "Breathe"...no doubt about that if you read the description of the songs !

how about we dont make any of these rediculous, misinformed, sensationalist claims so as not to induce mass panic?

There is NO WAY POSSIBLE you could know this. The only thing you could even comment about is that all 4 are mentioned as separate tracks in Q.

Please stop doing this because it will only cause problems

So according to this article their may be only 10 tracks on this album but if they are all good I could really care less :)

Thank you for the article :)

actually, no, this is causing a few some confusion. They are describing 10 OF THE tracks on the album, not THE 10 tracks.

We have 12 confirmed titles, although the Q interview appears to have been after the RS one, and bono said that Tripoli wasn't a definate starter. Still, 12 songs, and they all seem pretty amazing from what they are all saying.

People just understand that the author of that article said he'd describe "10" of the tracks! Not all of them!

Now everyones thinking that Breathe and Winter are not on the album. :rolleyes: :angry:

I thought somewhere in 18 pages of discussion, there must be some more news or something. Wrong, just people getting worried that U2 won't please their tastes. 18 pages of that... sheesh. Total waste of my time.

That's why there is that sticky page at the top of the forum. So you don't have to waste your time.

I'll be honest i didn't like some of the RS descriptions. The whole thing doesn't sound too inspiring.

Like Get on your boots, besides the title which im not very found of, "picking up where Vertigo left" isnt what i was expecting as a fresh sound new single.

Stand up comedy was much better with just "Stand up". No comedy...

Crazy tonight seems promising, as a breath of fresh air.

Tripoli with Zooropa-style eletronics... not good.

The "very raw" NLOTH. By this kind of title i was expecting something more ethereal, more mistic, not a raw rock song by U2 standarts.

Maybe i'm always a bit pessimistic and they will surprise me. I hope so!

I'll be honest i didn't like some of the RS descriptions. The whole thing doesn't sound too inspiring.

Like Get on your boots, besides the title which im not very found of, "picking up where Vertigo left" isnt what i was expecting as a fresh sound new single.

Stand up comedy was much better with just "Stand up". No comedy...

Crazy tonight seems promising, as a breath of fresh air.

Tripoli with Zooropa-style eletronics... not good.

The "very raw" NLOTH. By this kind of title i was expecting something more ethereal, more mistic, not a raw rock song by U2 standarts.

Maybe i'm always a bit pessimistic and they will surprise me. I hope so!

While I disagree with a couple of your assessments, I like that you were honest about your own responses to the descriptions. I think you're right on with the GYBO comment.

I'm from Portugual BoyOntheHorizon. But my brother is living in Balneario Camboriu. My parents are gonna visit him this february but I cant go with them. I have to work. :s

oh well... :sad:

For me the image gets clear and clearer – "No Line On The Horizon" won't be the big departure, won't be the new (more experimental) u-turn, won't be turning the last two albums upside down, won't be the musical revolution, that many of us here may have wished for.
What leads me to that kind of prophecy? Journalists outside the U2 camp, who obviously heard the album in the last stages of being finished & polished (too much 'clean' overproduction again?), they don't write about being shocked, being disturbed, being irritated by new, non-U2 sounds & effects – but they draw conclusions and connections to older albums, at the foremost "ATYCLB", "AB", "TJT", "TUF" or even "ZOOROPA". They say, yes, it's like the U2 from that era or this period ... But they don't celebrate it because of the innovation, don't they? So at this stage of speculation I don't think, we'll get a kind of "AB"-like cut, but we'll continue on the road of familiar riffs & interesting, still beautiful collections of songs, we've known from the last albums. With, of course, a newly re-discovered way of songwriting in 3rd persona, some new effects, sounds & melodies. Kind of sad, because a part of me has really hoped for a really courageous, experimental, radical, raw album – a more difficult album, to fight with, to get used to and then to love it forever ...:|

Anyone notice that it was posted in the future:applaud:

U2 Break Down 'No Line on the Horizon'
Key tracks from the band's eclectic new album
BRIAN HIATTPosted Jan 22, 2009 9:45 AM

this article is full of mistakes it seems

I'm from Portugual BoyOntheHorizon. But my brother is living in Balneario Camboriu. My parents are gonna visit him this february but I cant go with them. I have to work. :s

oh well... :sad:

Ohh nice place, spent lots of vacation time over there. Its like everybody from here has Camboriu as a main destiny of their vacations on a certain time of their lives :wink:. I have some friends in Portugal. Some day i'm gonna pay you a visit.

For me the image gets clear and clearer – "No Line On The Horizon" won't be the big departure, won't be the new (more experimental) u-turn, won't be turning the last two albums upside down, won't be the musical revolution, that many of us here may have wished for.
People, who obviously heard the album in the last stages of being finished & polished (too much 'clean' overproduction again?), they don't write about being shocked, being disturbed, being irritated by new, non-U2 sounds & effects – but they draw conclusions and connections to older albums, at the foremost "ATYCLB", "TJT" or even "ZOOROPA". At this stage of speculation I don't think, we'll get a kind of "AB"-like cut, but we'll continue on the road of familiar riffs & collections of songs, we've known from the last albums. With, of course, a newly re-discovered way of songwriting in 3rd persona, some new effects, sounds & melodies. Kind of sad, because a part of me has really hoped for a really courageous, experimental album – a more difficult album, to get used to and then to love it forever ...:|

I think you are pretty much right. I'm actually not too disappointed by this turn of events, however, because I really think they have the songs to back it all up this time. And having Eno and Lanois in there every step of the way can only mean good things. I think they're going to mesh together the best of all U2 worlds. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

^Since Q actually did an article on the matter, I'll go with Q.

Yeah, would have to agree.

Maybe U2.com? :reject:

Stand Up Comedy :doh:! What a horrible name for a rock song !

It's probably not true anyway, it's going to be Stand Up, maybe the editor just did it for fun. :huh:

I'm beginning to think that its fake. :laugh:
:wink: