Rolling Stone 500 Alternate Rankings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oregoropa

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
For artists on the Rolling Stone top 500 that have at least 3 songs on the list take an average of their 3 highest rankings. U2 does pretty well.

Quality not Quantity list

The Beatles - 12
Rolling Stones - 24
Bob Dylan - 25
The Beach Boys - 34
Chuck Berry - 41
Elvis Presley - 44
Jimi Hendrix - 55
Little Richard - 64
Ray Charles - 72
Marvin Gaye - 84
U2 - 87
James Brown - 91
Al Green - 92
Johnny Cash - 94
Buddy Holly - 100
Prince - 101
Simon and Garfunkel - 103
Otis Redding - 114
Bruce Springsteen - 127
Bob Marley - 133
Led Zeppelin - 133
The Who - 134
Stevie Wonder - 146
Aretha Franklin - 147
CCR - 147
David Bowie - 150
The Byrds - 154
The Drifters - 163
The Everly Brothers - 166
Sam Cooke - 167
Roy Orbison - 174
Sly & the Family Stone - 175
The Kinks - 182
The Temptations - 215
The Clash - 223
The Animals - 223
The Ramones - 231
Elton John - 242
Smokey Robinson - 269
Muddy Waters - 271
Van Morrison - 272
Blondie - 279
Cream - 280
Nirvana - 287
The Crystals - 290
Neil Young - 293
The Isley Brothers - 295
Aerosmith - 305
The Velvet Underground - 314
Elvis Costello - 319
Pink Floyd - 335
The four Tops - 337
Guns N' Roses - 372
Diana Ross - 378

I still have a problem with U2 being ranked behind anyone other than the Beatles (and even the Beatles only have about 10 songs I could say I LOVE). I guess we're suppose to love the Beatles for being the first great rock group. That doesn't mean they're the best. (and I'm sorry - the Beatles have some of the WORST all time lyrics. Imagine if Bono wrote "sitting on a corn flake - coo coo ca choo"

Anyway. There is no way that Ray Charles, Dylan, or even Elvis have the 30-40 GREAT songs that U2 has put together over the years.

AEON said:
(and I'm sorry - the Beatles have some of the WORST all time lyrics. Imagine if Bono wrote "sitting on a corn flake - coo coo ca choo"
:eyebrow: :eyebrow:
WORST alltime lyrics? Yeah sure.
I Am The Walrus has great lyrics, might not be U2ish but they're fantastic.
"If the sun don't come we get a tan from standing in the English rain"
John Lennon is on par with Bono.

AEON said:

Anyway. There is no way that Ray Charles, Dylan, or even Elvis have the 30-40 GREAT songs that U2 has put together over the years.

Ooooh yes there is, especially Dylan. Sorry. :) I prefer U2, but Bob is the man to beat.

Also, that quote you lifted from "I am the Walrus" was intentionally nonsense. It was basically their reaction to overanalyzing critics who thought that every little thing must have some exact purpose, no matter how abstract the lyric. It was a big middle finger at anal music fans.

Last edited:
pub crawler said:

2) Nirvana should not be on this list.

Rolling Stone always pisses me off in that aspect. They always have Nirvana on all their "Top #" lists, usually ahead of U2.

I am most pissed from top 100 guitarists. Kurt Cobain was in like the top 10, and even RS's new bitch Jack White was at like 17, but the Edge only got 29. Surely the Edge has done more innovative/creative things with the guitar than Kurt and Jack....right?:huh:

1) Bob Marley is awesome

2) Nirvana revolutionized music more than U2 did, naturally I don't like them as much as U2, but they singlehandedly destroyed hair bands and glam rock. Music today would not be the same had Nirvana not existed. There haven't been THAT many bands influenced by U2.. but that's a good thing, making them unique..

and pure skill-wise, Edge isn't really that great, he just uses a lot of basic chords and techniques under his "Edgie" distortion... just how Larry isn't that good of a drummer, and Adam isn't that good of a bassist. They just work so well with eachother, it's surreal.

Last edited:
I guess we're suppose to love the Beatles for being the first great rock group. That doesn't mean they're the best. (and I'm sorry - the Beatles have some of the WORST all time lyrics.
You're out of your mind. :drool:

You're right..."My Guitar Gently Weeps: is so deep man. Pass the J. So is "Little Piggies", "Paperback Writer", And of course - we still don't know what "Love Me Do" means.

Look, I like the Beatles. And I apologize if I feel they're overrated. But I never reach for a Beatles album. (I've probably listened to the Storkes more by now). The reason the Beatles lack that somthing special, IMO and only MO, is that John Lennon believed his own hype. And his song "God" only confirms to me he thought he was one.

AEON said:
You're right..."My Guitar Gently Weeps: is so deep man. Pass the J. So is "Little Piggies", "Paperback Writer", And of course - we still don't know what "Love Me Do" means.

Look, I like the Beatles. And I apologize if I feel they're overrated. But I never reach for a Beatles album. (I've probably listened to the Storkes more by now). The reason the Beatles lack that somthing special, IMO and only MO, is that John Lennon believed his own hype. And his song "God" only confirms to me he thought he was one.

the whole White Album is insanely deep... take a look at a song like Revolution... it's basically the original Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Dear Mother of God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hijacked this thread first. We were heading into brilliant comidic territory saying Bono was Ray Charles and then saying Ray was blind and then you all fooked it up with this talk of the Beatles.

What gives?

Back
Top Bottom