Rock Star Pope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
I thought the Vatican deystroyed all the photographs of him wearing Bono's sunglasses? What's the story with this...

e0suo

u2bonogirl said:
:lol: hahah! thats great. i didnt think i would ever see that picture :D
thats definitely a classic.
everything on the man is white except for the shades. i wonder if he secretly wears them in his room....

Imagine the pope playing feeble air guitar to the Fly...

Ok you guys...I was doing a search, it was an innocent search for the benefit of PLEBA. I must admit...I was looking for 'Boom Cha' pics. And this showed up in the search. The pic was attributed to the Harvard Economic Conference which made absolutley no sense to me at all. But then I got to thinking because I looked up bout the conference and it said the director of The Harvard Center For International Developement (CID) was Jeffery Sachs. Bono has meet Jeff Sachs....
(Bono on far left {duh} and Sachs is on the far right)
e1314

Bono and Sachs held a meeting on 'Alternative Approaches to Debt Relief' took place from 24-25 September 1999 in Washington DC, USA. Organized jointly by the Global Coalition for Africa (GCA) and CID. The meeting included a letter address from the Pope. (I found a link here: http://www.iisd.ca/sd/hipc/)

Jeffery Sachs, I realized, was one of the people present with Bono, Geldof, Quincy Jones and the like for the meeting with the Pope:
e13b7

So there is your "six degrees of separation" right there....and you want to know what makes it even more interesting? I found the picture on U2log.com too, although they didn't confirm it themselves...but here is the link: http://u2log.com/archive/001729.shtml

I think we might have found the real deal picture of a picture of the Pope wearing Bono's shades?!

Last edited:
That pic was said to be a fake over on @u2.com about a year ago when someone submitted it to them and then later had to retract its authenticity.

If someone wants to contact the folks over at @u2.com, I think that they could clear up the "authenticity" of this pic.

This is to the best of my recollection - at the time I wanted it to be "the real thing" too!

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY! ;)

that's OK, stars, I think that's the story about the Pope and the infamous shades.

The Vatican never authorized release of the pic where the Pope is wearing Bono's shades (Bono said the Pope "lifted" them - :lol: )

So, I think that if this was the pic that the Vatican would have reacted by now to its publication.

But thanks a lot for bringing the other thread about the Sustainable Development conference back into our threads - the link to that conference can never be posted enough. It was a BRILLIANT coming together of Hearts and Minds. :yes: ;)

yes, the big picture in the photo album is photoshopped!
Look better, the sunglasses are not normal!
And they were blue sunglasses not totally black like this one!

:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom