rock song of the Year? U2 vs. Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aygo said:

I agree with you...

But even though we say it's not... There are obvious similarities in the career steps Coldplay is taking in comparison to U2, and in the albums (more in the latest...).
I have to admit that I used to hate Coldplay for its 75%-mellow-songs albums, and when I heard X&Y and recognized too much sounds, basslines and riffs... it just made me sick. But I bought the album and now I have to confess that is one of the best albums I have heard. The plagiarium thing (abusive) and the way they combined with their new sound and the experimental thing sounds great. And the commercial career strategy is there... on the album. So lets see if you can find the similarities...

Square One - my fav in the album, and sounds great as the album opener... I hope it rocks live. But there's something in that song that puts myself into "Last night on Earth", probably the guitar.
What If - when I heard it for the first time... some chords reminded me "Kite"...
White Shadows - the first to accuse the mid-80's-U2 influence... that chorus riff...
Fix You - Well, I used to hate this song... but that I will follow-esque riff at the end made me change my opinion. This was made for stadiums, the effect can be ressemblable to "Where the streets have no name" (synth+explosion guitar riff+synth). They could at least change the synthetizers part... Looks like a funeral organ...
Talk - I just love the song, but I'm kinda disapointed with the final version... the demo one was nearly their best song...! Ok, the riff is the same one in "Computer love" (thet only reminds me my father's vinyl's eheheh), but it fits very well there... very intelligent
X&Y - good lyrics... I like it... a very typical Coldplay song with the exception of the guitar... to much The Edge
Speed Of Sound - Good choice as the first single, but I think that the similarities with "Clocks" are only present in the bassline... The song is sightly different
A Message - Cool... I like it... But I've heard this before... I just don't know where...
Low - The Unforgettable Fire: have you ever heard this album?
The Hardest Part - Looks like a funny song at first, but I don't think it's so weak as many says
Swallowed In The Sea - Another typical Coldplay song. Sound nice.
Twisted logic - I just can say thet the pre-chorus part is amazing... Cool!
Till Kingdom Come - What a decepcion! First: looks like a demo. Second: U2 have already wrote a song for Johnny Cash 12 years ago - unoriginal. Third: the lyrics are a mixture of The Joshua Tree's lyrics. Fourth: The synthethizer screams "Where the streets have no name" and this is a pressage to its next album, I guess

Yeah I thought I had heard "A message" somewhere before and "Swallowed in the sea" gave me the same feeling. I am not that impressed with X&Y and it isn't a patch on "a rush of blood to the head" but it has one saving grace "fix you" is a brilliant song and much better than anything off HTDAAB in my opinion. Then again Coldplay have never had anything as good as "streets", "with or without you" etc. Overall HTDAAB is a much better album as I cannot listen to X&Y all the way through without being bored to tears. Also alot of the hooks and melodies sound very familiar. My prediction is that this will be coldplay's comercial peak as it sounds like they are running out of ideas. To be honest I don't understand why people take comments about a band they like so personally. U2 and Coldplay are both good bands and you are allowed to like both of them! That said U2 are much better!:lol:

It is all because of Chris Martin's stupid comments. I'm pretty sure that everyone in here would have bashed Coldplay as little as they bash, for instance, R.E.M., if he had acted just a bit sympathetically.

explorer said:

again, i think these u2/coldplay comparisons are dumb. i think its only happening because coldplay is the only competetor u2 really has, that i can think of....

i think when it comes to biggest band in the world position (not talking quality here), Green Day is a bigger challenger to u2 than Coldplay.

I like both bands.

I think it is also interesting that I have spent some good amount of time on Coldplay message boards lately trying to unload some Albuquerque tickets for them and I have yet to see any discussion of U2 on these boards.

the new sigur ros single rocks a hundred billion times harder than anything coldplay and u2 have come out in the last year.

and e-pro by beck puts them all to shame.

Aygo said:

I agree with you...

But even though we say it's not... There are obvious similarities in the career steps Coldplay is taking in comparison to U2, and in the albums (more in the latest...).

basically the only thing we can give chris martin credit for is inventing the time machine; the same time machine he used to go back to 1985 and take over U2...

IMO Coldploay have made 2 classic slbums and now a really shit one, remind you of a band called Oasis, who by the way are back making great albums, so Coldplay fail, Oasis return, and U2 remean on top.

Coldplay is just a new menber of the "they were supposed to be huge like U2 but they failed" club.

R.I.P

Oasis
Radiohead
Smashing Pumpkins
etc...

Next menbers: The Killers, Razorlight, and all the first part of the Vertigo tour.

guill said:
Coldplay is just a new menber of the "they were supposed to be huge like U2 but they failed" club.

R.I.P

Oasis
Radiohead
Smashing Pumpkins
etc...

Next menbers: The Killers, Razorlight, and all the first part of the Vertigo tour.

:lmao: :up: :)

RademR said:

i think when it comes to biggest band in the world position (not talking quality here), Green Day is a bigger challenger to u2 than Coldplay.

I like both bands.

Agreed, I have all three new albums (U2, Coldplay, Green Day), and American Idiot is the only thing that comes close to HTDAAB.

Chris Martin suffers from Not Knowing How To Write Lyrics. I think Mojo actually got it right with their review. Seriously, "when you try your best but you don't succeed"? Fix You could be better than a lot of HTDAAB if he'd thought of some better lyrics.

Not saying that Bono's on the top of his game with the lyrics, either, but still. At least he doesn't do the funny thing Martin does with his voice (dropping it) every last word in a line that annoys the shit out of me.

That said, I like Coldplay.

The songs that will be nominated for Grammy awards are Fix You and Original Of The Species and Original Of The Species will win.

This album by Coldplay is good but the last one in my opinion was better, and U2 fans here seem to be looking for somebody to take U2s throne very hard, but it isnt going to happen.

I'm sorry but Green Day should win band of the year, album of the year, single of the year, and video of the year. U2 will win best tour. Coldplay will win nothing. Not that I'm a Green Day fan or anything but let's face it every single has shot to #1 and the video's are great. Good for them, they deserve it.

guill said:

R.I.P

Oasis
Radiohead
Smashing Pumpkins
etc...

I think Oasis if there latest album was there third they might have been as big as U2, but atleast Oasis even if they lost there fanbase in America have made a cracking album, no band will ever touch U2 as long as U2 make new songs, and in case people haven't noticed I love Oasis' new album, best album released since HTDAAB IMO.

Coldplay could very well win a lot of Grammys. But what does that prove, exactly? I admit the Grammys are a bit better than they used to be, but they still make an awful lot of lame choices.

Bono's shades said:
Coldplay could very well win a lot of Grammys. But what does that prove, exactly? I admit the Grammys are a bit better than they used to be, but they still make an awful lot of lame choices.

yeah, didnt "who let the dogs out" win a grammy?

Haha you knew you were gonna be outnumbered in a U2 vs. Coldplay thread at a U2 WEBSITE. No duh U2 is definitely better. And why are they saying all this "Coldplay is the next U2" when U2's not even gone yet? I just don't get that! Although Coldplay has a FEW good songs, they will NEVER get to where U2 is right now. But then again, that's just me.

Since we're on the Coldplay topic. Can anyone name the members of Coldplay without looking them up? I have a feeling that in 25 years, people will only remember Chris Martin. I'm not saying anything negative about them, as they are a very good band, but U2 is in a different league.

coldplay is amongst the worst cover bands of all time:down:
i just can't believe the hype...wake up folks they're just a bunch of fluffybunnies without any ideas of their own. most overrated band.

Coldplay is the ultimate U2 victory.
U2 killed all their 80's and 90's challenger.
In 2005, their only challenger is Coldplay, their unofficial tribute band.
What more do you want ?
U2 :rockon:

inmyplace13 said:

So can I, early on and to this date actually a lot of people only remember bono and the guitarrist with the funny name, for christ sake, newspaper usually get larry's name wrong and he wasn't even mentioned at the mtv awards when he and bono announced Rage Against the Machine, in articles Larry and Adam are usually overlooked, the same with Coldplay, but they are all still crucial parts of their respective bands so this is not even important

it's amazing how people in here feel threatened when someone says something positive about Coldplay, at the end it comes to opinions that's all but remember Coldplay are at their third album and even Bono say's that if there is some competition against U2 it's Coldplay

Back
Top Bottom