Robbie William's influenced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aardvark747 said:
Ah yes.....'Angels'....:yawn:

I wouldn't expect you to understand, you weren't there :tsk:

:p

Rock DJ and Let Me Entertain You were awesome at getting the crowd moving after what seemed like hours of Mariah Carey making everyone's ears bleed.

{paintedroses} said:

I wouldn't expect you to understand, you weren't there :tsk:

1361.gif

gareth brown said:
I used to hate Robbie Williams with a passion, but SOMEHOW I grew to tolerate his music and secretly loved his Live8 show while fuming about having to leave afterwards because of bus problems, meaning I'd miss Pink Floyd. :angry:

You secretly enjoyed williams but missed floyd because you wanted to catch a bus PERVERSE

Headache said:

You secretly enjoyed williams but missed floyd because you wanted to catch a bus PERVERSE

You think I WANTED to catch the bus?! I live HOURS away from London and they said they were refusing to stay longer than 11:30, despite our protests, so we had to leave early DURING THE WHO. Probably the most pissed off I'd been in a long time.

Cooper2000 said:
Someone said Robbie doesn't write his own songs. Were they reffering to his role in Take That, or his solo career, because I was under the impression that he wrote his own material now.

If he writes his own material then I have just landed from the planet (yer talking out of)URANUS. He probably writes some of them crap lyrics like "come an have a go if yer think yer hard enough" or "I'm gonna sink you with my pink torpedo"(that might be Spinal Tap though, his lyrics and theirs I mix up sometimes) and crap like that. But Guy Chambers was the song writing force behind Twa# Williams and now its Stephen tin tin Duffy who he has (ahem) CO-WROTE with on his latest rubbish. Write his own material, don't make me laugh. He probably writes his own fat dancing dance routines!:wink:

I don't see how anyone can like Oasis and dislike Robbie Williams since each right now is peddling what is essentially a caricature of early-period flag-waving Britpop a la 'Don't Look Back In Anger'.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I don't see how anyone can like Oasis and dislike Robbie Williams since each right now is peddling what is essentially a caricature of early-period flag-waving Britpop a la 'Don't Look Back In Anger'.

...."she knows it's too late":drool:

He does come across as a prize winning twat sometimes, but he has written some great pop tunes in his time.

And anyone remember his cover of Beautiful Day?

U2girl said:
His latest album has songs without Guy Chambers, I heard. He can sing and perform.

Liam Gallagher is hardly a relevant critic; that guy will pick on anyone with more talent than him.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: RW is a fake, plastic fool..Liam Gallagher is the real deal, a true rock and roll singer..and becoming an accomplished songwriter..I think its obvious who has more talent, and what ability does Williams have?

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:

Yes..Rock DJ sounds soo Britpop..only time RW has really sounded like that was when Guy Chambers wrote some Oasis rip-offs for him back in 1998. And the new Oasis album is excellent, no caricature..theres maybe two anthems on Don't Believe The Truth.

Sleep Over Jack said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: RW is a fake, plastic fool..Liam Gallagher is the real deal, a true rock and roll singer..and becoming an accomplished songwriter..I think its obvious who has more talent, and what ability does Williams have?

The nasal shouting he has doesn't qualify as singing IMO. John Lennon wannabe at best.
The one with the talent in that band is Noel, too bad they waste it on sounding the same all the time and badmouthing everyone popular/better than them.

Williams writes lyrics on all of his songs, actually gets away from the microphone stand during a live show and entertains the crowd and actually can sing.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

The nasal shouting he has doesn't qualify as singing IMO. John Lennon wannabe at best.

:up: agree.

You have to give Liam credits for one thing, though. He has really understood how to exploit the one thing he was capable of doing in life. He would have been nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, without his brother, who does indeed have some song writing talent.

Liam Gallagher has said it himself, he doesn't care what the f*ck song lyrics are, he doesn't care if we writes them or not, aslong as it is catchy and it gets him remembered its great.

I watched him on Much More Music, it was hilarious. I'm not bashing the guy, I like their music for the most part, but he has no room to talk.

U2girl said:

The one with the talent in that band is Noel, too bad they waste it on sounding the same all the time and badmouthing everyone popular/better than them.

Williams writes lyrics on all of his songs, actually gets away from the microphone stand during a live show and entertains the crowd and actually can sing.

Yes, he should take singing lessons and croon simpering ballads like Interference fave, Robbie Williams...his voice is unique the way it is..and calling him a Lennon wannabe is fucking lazy: theres as much John Lydon in his singing style as Lennon, IMO..As for Noel, his songs are great, but without a great rock and roll voice they wouldn't have been the 90s-defining songs they became. Your last point, well, yeah, bit odd that Williams has now had TWO "songwriting partners" doesn't take a genius to work out whats going on there..Liam writes his own stuff, too.

U2Man said:

:up: agree.

You have to give Liam credits for one thing, though. He has really understood how to exploit the one thing he was capable of doing in life. He would have been nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, without his brother, who does indeed have some song writing talent.

Haha the lowest common denominator view of Oasis. You really think they would have beenm the band they were without the singer's attitude and menacing vocals???

Sleep Over Jack said:

Yes, he should take singing lessons and croon simpering ballads like Interference fave, Robbie Williams...his voice is unique the way it is..and calling him a Lennon wannabe is fucking lazy: theres as much John Lydon in his singing style as Lennon, IMO..As for Noel, his songs are great, but without a great rock and roll voice they wouldn't have been the 90s-defining songs they became. Your last point, well, yeah, bit odd that Williams has now had TWO "songwriting partners" doesn't take a genius to work out whats going on there..Liam writes his own stuff, too.

Singing lessons never hurt anyone.
I don't hear anything unique in Liam - he could at least try something other than the nasal or shouting type of vocal. Falsetto, rap-style (Rock DJ), crooning... anything.

"Lennon wannabe" - similar haircut, similar glasses, he even imitates him in singing, especially the quieter songs - is a lot less lazy than calling Robbie Williams "the fat dancer from Take that." He has proven himself outside of the group, where would Liam be without Oasis?

Changing songwriting partners (he always did the lyrics anyway) shows willingness to try new things. If the rest of Liam's stuff is anything like Songbird - Beatles rip-off - I'll pass.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Haha the lowest common denominator view of Oasis. You really think they would have beenm the band they were without the singer's attitude and menacing vocals???

I think they would have been better.

Oasis wrote TWO good songs.

Correction: NOEL wrote two good songs.

- Don't look back in anger
- Wonderwall

maybe live forever / aquiesce.

Those two songs are recognised by anyone in England. What about Robibe? Angels...Let Me Entertain You.. Rock DJ , probably Feel, maybe even Strong

The last few posts confirmed my thoughts on the sort of people who buy RW albums:laugh: :laugh: (especially the last one who appears to be unaware of Definitely Maybe, one of the best debuts in rock)

Miricale_Drug said:
Oasis wrote TWO good songs.

Correction: NOEL wrote two good songs.

- Don't look back in anger
- Wonderwall

maybe live forever / aquiesce.

Those two songs are recognised by anyone in England. What about Robibe? Angels...Let Me Entertain You.. Rock DJ , probably Feel, maybe even Strong

Jesus..so now you're saying mass appeal is the way to recognise a superior artist?? and even then Oasis have many songs recognisable to the general public: Live Forever, Supersonic, Don't Look Back in Anger, Wonderwall, Some Might Say, Champagne Supernova etc etc..such ignorance. Just look at Oasis's singles, they always do well in the UK charts and their b-sides comp. sold over 2 million..as for Williams, his songs have no lasting power, its just tacky novelty shit.

U2Man said:

I think they would have been better.

..thus confirming your middle-of-the-road outlook...Noel isn't that good a singer, no edge to his voice..can't see him belting out rockers like Supersonic and Some Might Say, can you?

U2girl said:

Singing lessons never hurt anyone.
I don't hear anything unique in Liam - he could at least try something other than the nasal or shouting type of vocal. Falsetto, rap-style (Rock DJ), crooning... anything.

"Lennon wannabe" - similar haircut, similar glasses, he even imitates him in singing, especially the quieter songs - is a lot less lazy than calling Robbie Williams "the fat dancer from Take that." He has proven himself outside of the group, where would Liam be without Oasis?

Changing songwriting partners (he always did the lyrics anyway) shows willingness to try new things. If the rest of Liam's stuff is anything like Songbird - Beatles rip-off - I'll pass.

Talk about spin..he changed songwriters because he knew he couldn't write the songs himself so he got someone else to fill the gap! Last time I looked, everyone was influenced by someone and Songbird is pretty good for one of his first songs. As for unique singers. you'd be hard pushed to find a more unique singer than Liam Gallagher..who else sounds like him? and don't say Lennon..play them side to side and they sound fuck all alike. I'll concede he does have a Lennon fascination though, but still on the point of his voice, what is unique about Williams? all those things you say he does just sound mediocre and corny. Just because he does those things doesn't mean he does them with any degree of success, astistically. If anything he is imitating others, whereas I can't say the Oasis frontman sounds like one person in particular,

Sleep Over Jack said:

..thus confirming your middle-of-the-road outlook...Noel isn't that good a singer, no edge to his voice..can't see him belting out rockers like Supersonic and Some Might Say, can you?

No, but can Liam do anything but singing in this way? I think they as a band, seen over a long period of time, had been a lot more interesting if they had had another singer with a broader scope.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Talk about spin..he changed songwriters because he knew he couldn't write the songs himself so he got someone else to fill the gap! Last time I looked, everyone was influenced by someone and Songbird is pretty good for one of his first songs. As for unique singers. you'd be hard pushed to find a more unique singer than Liam Gallagher..who else sounds like him? and don't say Lennon..play them side to side and they sound fuck all alike. I'll concede he does have a Lennon fascination though, but still on the point of his voice, what is unique about Williams? all those things you say he does just sound mediocre and corny. Just because he does those things doesn't mean he does them with any degree of success, astistically. If anything he is imitating others, whereas I can't say the Oasis frontman sounds like one person in particular,

What spin?
I think it was good for him to get someone new to co-write and prove to people like you he doesn't need Guy Chambers. Again, I'd love to see Liam get out of Oasis and do something without Noel's talent.
There's a difference between having influences and outright copying others.
Well, he's the arche-typical rock band nasal shouter, nothing unique about him.
He does crooning and falsetto quite well, at least he tries something other than belting.
When it comes to imitating, I really don't think Liam is the one to accuse anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom