Robbie Robertson's songs with U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
These two songs, Testimony and Sweet Fire of Love, are on his first solo album, which I think came out in 1987. Great album and those are two wonderful songs. Testimony is credited to Robertson alone but Sweet Fire of Love was co-written with U2. Sweet Fire SERIOUSLY sounds like a U2 song--it is just U2 playing the music and Bono kind of dueting and singing backup with Robertson. However, Testimony, which has more musicians on it besides U2, is a better song, I'm pretty sure. A real stomper. I was listening to it the other day and noticed a certain resemblance in Larry's drumming to the drumming on Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Robbie Robertson is probably best known for being in The Band. I like his solo stuff. There are probably more people in the States who have heard of him now since he played at the Olympic opening ceremonies. I don't really know how well known he was before, as a Canadian. Anyway, I would highly recommend you check out the album (it's just called Robbie Robertson)--it's excellent besides those two songs as well.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

I remember the first time I heard 'Sweet Fire of Love.' I was listening to the radio and the song started and I was thinking, this sounds just like U2, but I didn't think it was until Bono came in. But at that time their sound was so distinctive. But it is a great song.
Robbie Robbertson has done a lot of cool stuff, and he's an amazing guitar player. He plays guitar on most of 'Blonde on Blonde.'

And, he's hot.

Hey, I heard that The Last Waltz is going to have a theartical run in SF, LA, and NYC this spring!

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

Anyone catch his performance at the opening ceremony for the Olympics? The one with all of the Native American dancers? It was the best part of the ceremony.....

What WAS the name of that movie that Sweet Fire of Love came from? I loved that movie and used to rent it all of the time....the main character would call his junk car his war pony.....

I didn't know they had worked together, ta scatteroflight.
typo

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 02-18-2002).]

Man, criskets would be even better though. I'd love to hear what that sounds like. Criskets rock! I'm surprised more bands don't put them in their songs.

------------------
Earth people, New York to California.
Earth people, I was born on Jupiter.

(sorry, slow to reply here) I had his second album, Storyville, for a long time (which is awesome) before I finally owned those two intense songs on the first one. I thought they sounded great together: Robbie smoulders, Bono ignites.

Originally posted by martha:
And, he's hot.

Um, yeah. hehe... moreso when he talks than when he sings. I heard him on Gzowski's show once -- nearly melted all over the radio... he was at the Opening Ceremonies?? Cool! Any of you hear the Music for Native Americans he did a few years ago?

Hey, I heard that The Last Waltz is going to have a theartical run in SF, LA, and NYC this spring!

If any of you can, you must go see it! Big room, big theatre sound, awesome music. A list of I-guess-they're-vintage-now artists (but most of 'em still working!) with the best backing band there was. Van Morrison, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Emmylou, the Staples...god, I love that movie.
biggrin.gif
Thanks, scatteroflight.

Deb D

------------------
take some time out and entertain the questions of a
longing heart
-- Steve Beard

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Back
Top Bottom