Rip-roarin', ass-kicken, head-splitten' version of Discotheque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
I don't care much for Discotheque. The song (much like the video) borders on embarrassment. However, the 5-15-2001 Chicago version of the song totally rocks! Edge is going nuts.

On a different note, it's amazing how different our world was when that show was recorded. Just four months before 9/11.:(

Not really that different, 9/11 just made everyone wake up for a few minutes before going back to sleep.

Anyhoo, the point that most people seem to miss is that Discotheque was a joke. It was a purposeful attempt to write a throw away pop song. Hence the video and hence coming out of a giant mirror ball lemon to play it in Popmart. It's point was to be absurd. Problem was no one got the joke, not even U2 fans, especially not ones this side of the Atlantic. Most Europeans got it however.

Will, do you have an MP3 of this Live version that you could upload or something? I'd love to hear it! I never knew they played Discotheque Post-POP. You've got me all excited now! :)

I don't know how to upload the song or anything like that. I downloaded it off D++. I think I can e-mail it to you, if you'd like.

Ditto, Blacksword! I love the Discotheque music video simply because I feel it's U2 at their most relaxed, most loose, most WHATEVER.

I can upload that mp3 for sharing if someone AIMs it to me.

Discotheque is such a great song - my fave bit of the popmart show is that out-of-the-lemon bit, how cool can you get! Who else could have pulled that one off? I love that moment - it's a fantastic way to start such a consciously silly song.

I find it a bit hard to see how anyone could have missed that joke - they did a Village People take off! What else do you have to do to say "We're just having fun here"?

Cheers ~Ultra

I can see the pros and cons of the video... it was a nicely shot video (that I remember) and better than that Elevation, Stuck, Walk On video crap... but it was also a little weird seeing U2 do the Village people and dancing around...

I still think Discotheque is one of the best U2 songs around... not that great live though... lyrically better than some stuff on ATYCLB, for sure...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom