Ridiculousness connected with U2??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
I think Bono only in the past few years got the role of "rock star" right. After running away from it, then mocking it, he finally has learned to deal with it.
oooh, most interesting bit in this thread

the K-Mart thing was a nice idea, but it ended up being a lame 'show'

silvrlvr said:
On Pop, if you go back and look at it from today's perspective, you can see the beginnings of how U2 was planning to become its own brand. It didn't show up right away on HTDAAB; but by the time Bomb came out, they had honed it and now they're hitting their stride.

I don't blame them at all for this. Everything is commercial now -- name an art exhibit, a sporting event, a political convention, a Broadway show that doesn't have some kind of corporate or financial tie. There is very little art for art's sake that is commercially viable. But instead of letting others use the band, U2 is using them.

They do an iPod, they help Apple make money, they help themselves make money by selling iTunes. They let their songs be used in the World Cup, they help draw attention to ESPN's broadcasts, they give visibility to the U2 brand. They are not just a rock band anymore; they are a brand.

That might drive older fans away but it is attracting scores of new ones whose frame of reference is not punk rock but the new brand-driven world. Wouldn't KMart just kill now to have U2 link up with them again?

What will be interesting, though, is what it does to the music. Does it mean U2 can no longer take risks -- or do they have to take MORE risks with music because they have to keep the brand fresh?

Their "brand" is helping a nation get back on its feet.

From Galeongirl:

t's true.. I found a piece of it on Wikipedia (not that you can trust that site so easily, but I've heard about it before and think this is pretty accurate)

Quote:
Following the Enniskillen bombing (1987), several newspapers claimed Provisional IRA paramilitaries had put Bono on a hit-list for his "fuck the revolution" speech following the bombing that left 11 dead and 63 injured on 8 November 1987. The singer had been advised to cut his on-stage outburst from the Rattle and Hum film but it stayed. Some papers suggested the film's charity London premiere on 31 October, would have to be cancelled. It wasn't, and U2 all turned up, although their attempts to busk in Leicester Square were prevented by crowds and police.

This is the time I think where Bono went ahead anyway and when he went into the song Sunday Bloody Sunday...he just closed his eyes and hoped for the best. He says when he opened his eyes Adam was standing infront of him.

JCOSTER said:
This is the time I think where Bono went ahead anyway and when he went into the song Sunday Bloody Sunday...he just closed his eyes and hoped for the best. He says when he opened his eyes Adam was standing infront of him.

Actually, the song was Pride and it was when U2 was being targeted by some white supremicist whacko during the JT tour. It's still a fantastic story, though.

JCOSTER said:
From Galeongirl:

t's true.. I found a piece of it on Wikipedia (not that you can trust that site so easily, but I've heard about it before and think this is pretty accurate)

Quote:
Following the Enniskillen bombing (1987), several newspapers claimed Provisional IRA paramilitaries had put Bono on a hit-list for his "fuck the revolution" speech following the bombing that left 11 dead and 63 injured on 8 November 1987. The singer had been advised to cut his on-stage outburst from the Rattle and Hum film but it stayed. Some papers suggested the film's charity London premiere on 31 October, would have to be cancelled. It wasn't, and U2 all turned up, although their attempts to busk in Leicester Square were prevented by crowds and police.

All I know is I'm so happy they didn't cut it from the film. IMO, that is the best live U2 performance ever on film. And i'm not even a big fan of that song.

And yeah, the story where Adam would have taken a bullet for Bono happened somewhere in the southern states, maybe Memphis?

ultravioletluvv said:

All I know is I'm so happy they didn't cut it from the film. IMO, that is the best live U2 performance ever on film. And i'm not even a big fan of that song.

And yeah, the story where Adam would have taken a bullet for Bono happened somewhere in the southern states, maybe Memphis?

I recall hearing the story. Wasn't it Arizona? :shrug:

JCOSTER said:
Quote:

That SBS story is not connected to the one you mention about Adam shielding Bono. As Bono's Shades said, it occurred during Pride; the police warned U2 not to take the stage but they did anyway, and Bono figured if the threat were to become reality, it would happen during Pride due to its thematic content. I believe it occurred at one of the JT Tour's first leg shows in Los Angeles but I'm not 100% on that.

From the book BONO IN HIS OWN WORDS:

"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight!

"Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind.

When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd.

It was a good, good moment."

JCOSTER said:
From Galeongirl:

Quote:

would you mind using the quote /quote marks next time? Otherwise people might think I said this whole message, wich isn't true...

Back
Top Bottom