"Retired" Songs? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:25 AM
"Retired" Songs?

I was looking through the post on what people would and would rather not hear on the next tour, and it got me to thinking about some of the songs they haven't played in a while. Do you think there are any songs that U2 just won't play again -- ever? I suppose they could resurrect just about any song through a snippet, but can you see them busting out a full-blown version of Zoo Station or Two Hearts for the next tour? You also have to wonder if Bono can actually sing some of these long-dormant song as effectively as he used to -- what would Gloria sound like now?

On the other hand, are there any songs that you think could be due for a comeback?

Old 01-19-2003, 12:54 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:25 PM
Hello,

After the last tour I think there are less songs I think U2 have retired (who would have thought they'd play 11 O'Clock Tick Tock or Out Of Control and maybe also The Fly again?). Still, I think there are many songs we would probably never hear again. This includes much of their first albums (Stories For Boys, Shadows And Tall Trees, Twilight, With A Shout, I Fall Down, Fire), but also later songs (Silver And Gold). Somehow, I can imagine hearing Zoo Station or Two Hearts Beat As One again (and I'd love to hear Love Is Blindness again), but I think they never again play the songs I've mentioned before.

C ya!

Marty

Old 01-19-2003, 01:10 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Like a Song...

Well, most of their "oldies" like Electric Co. were replaced by larger more ambient songs like Where the Streets Have No Name. I don't think we'll hear songs like those again, because of the large audiences U2 plays for now.

If you're lucky enough to see a club gig, you might see Stories For Boys or Gloria. Those club set lists tend to be fashioned more towards the hardcore fan; in that setting U2 is more concerned with having fun than reaching a more casual audience who want to hear "all the hits."
Old 01-19-2003, 10:29 PM   #4
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i'm sure all of october has been pretty much retired since i can't remember when was the last time they played any of those songs live. i also remember reading (in the lyrics section of interference, ironically) that they apparantely don't do gloria anymore (it was mentioned in the uabrs video review), but the writer alluded to the fact that we know why. i don't!

plus, i'd say all the older non-single songs have been as well. notice all the older songs they play are hits. i'm not saying that's a bad thing, i'm just saying i wouldn't expect them to bust out "surrender" or "shadows and tall trees" nowadays.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:58 PM   #5
War Child

i think most of the 80's songs could be pulled up whenever they felt like it, but some of their 90's stuff was more "about the moment" ya know?

like you said, zoo station, i dont think theyd play that again cause that was all about zootv. but then again, they played the fly last tour and i could have sworn they would never have touched it again.

who knows?
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-20-2003, 12:00 AM   #6
War Child

khanada, i dont think they would play gloria again because of the over-obvious religous tone. thats what i read anyway.
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #7
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cow of the Seas
khanada, i dont think they would play gloria again because of the over-obvious religous tone. thats what i read anyway.
ahh. danke sehr.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:19 AM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 12:25 PM
i would love for them to play Exit, Love Is Blindness, have Edge whip out Van Diemen's Land here and there, and get some MLK and October tacked on at the end of some songs. Or at the beginning as a segueway into All I Want Is You or Bullet the Blue Sky.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:56 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hey whatever happened to Pete the Chop?
Old 01-21-2003, 05:07 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:25 PM
Now that's a treasure!

LOL!

C ya!

The Marty (if we're starting with puns...)
Old 01-21-2003, 08:26 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Im not sure if Seconds was ever part of a setlist but I would love to hear it live.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:42 AM   #12
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:25 AM
It was a staple on the War and Unforgettable Fire tours.

I think most of their songs are retired, though; we'll mostly hear the same old songs ("Until the End of the World," "With or Without You"), with some pleasant surprises ("The Fly," "11 O'Clock Tick Tock") now and then.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:52 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

I doubt we'll ever hear "Mofo" again. As the intro to the PopMart concerts, it was PERFECT. But I can't hear it fitting into anything else but PopMart.

I suppose they could totally revamp the song, but I can't see it. It strikes me as one of those songs that works great in its original style, but that's about it.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:42 PM   #14
New Yorker

Really? I thought the Pop version of "Mofo," the way they played it live, and the beats-driven Phunk Phorce mix were each very different (I love the alternate vocal on that remix).
Old 01-21-2003, 02:42 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think they should retire everything except that which was recorded during the years 1987 and 1991.

that's all.