Results for Rate The Song Series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
I'm going to post partial results in this thread throughout the Rate The Song series, as polls close for certain sections of U2's catalog.

Interference ranks U2's songs through the War era as follows:

1. New Year's Day
  2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  3. Drowning Man
  4. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
  5. The Electric Co.
  6. Gloria
  7. Out Of Control
  8. Tomorrow
  9. October
  10. I Will Follow
  11. “40”
  12. Like A Song...
  13. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
  14. A Celebration
  15. Two Hearts Beat As One
  16. A Day Without Me
  17. Shadows And Tall Trees
  18. Surrender
  19. Another Time, Another Place
  20. Rejoice
  21. Saturday Night
  22. Scarlet
  23. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop)
  24. Endless Deep
  25. Touch
  26. Twilight
  27. Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl
  28. Seconds
  29. I Fall Down
  30. Stories For Boys
  31. Another Day
  32. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
  33. The Ocean
  34. Stranger In A Strange Land
  35. Fire
  36. With A Shout (Jerusalem)
  37. Things To Make And Do
  38. Speed Of Life
  39. Angels Too Tied To The Ground
  40. Is That All?
  41. Red Light
  42. Boy/Girl
  43. The Refugee
  44. J. Swallo

"Drowning Man" is a huge surprise for me....did not expect it to be that high at all. Good to see early non-album singles ("11 O'Clock Tick Tock" and "A Celebration") rank deservedly high.

Alright, so I've compiled the first disc of our U2 boxed set.

* Designates a song released as a promotional or commercial single.

1. Out Of Control *
2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock *
3. A Day Without Me *
4. I Will Follow *
5. An Cat Dubh
6. Into The Heart
7. The Electric Co.
8. Shadows And Tall Trees
9. Gloria *
10. Tomorrow
11. October
12. A Celebration *
13. New Year's Day *
14. Two Hearts Beat As One *
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday *
16. Surrender *
17. Like A Song...
18. Drowning Man
19. "40" *

Total runtime is 77:45 using the original mix of "Out Of Control" and sourcing everything from the Deluxe Editions of these albums.

1. Out Of Control *
2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock *
3. A Day Without Me *
4. I Will Follow *
5. An Cat Dubh
6. Into The Heart
7. The Electric Co.
8. Shadows And Tall Trees
9. Gloria *
10. Tomorrow
11. October
12. A Celebration *
13. New Year's Day *
14. Two Hearts Beat As One *
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday *
16. Surrender *
17. Like A Song...
18. Drowning Man
19. "40" *
That's actually a pretty great album... except for "A Celebration"...

Everyone who voted Drowning Man into the top 10 ahead of An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart and about 10 other far more worthy songs, please list the 3 most recent drugs you took so we can all get as stupid as you.

Everyone who voted Drowning Man into the top 10 ahead of An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart and about 10 other far more worthy songs, please list the 3 most recent drugs you took so we can all get as stupid as you.
It's one thing to raise a discussion - maybe another to call people "stupid"?

Anyway, I really like "Into the Heart" as a mini-song (nice melody, nice slow-building dynamics, kind of touching and pretty), but I've never gotten the fuss over 'An Cat Dubh'. I can't hear anything in the way of a tune, and the guitar riff is stodgy and dull. Song seems overly long, too.

So, what do you love about it exactly?

The studio version of 11OTT is fourth! That's much more cuckoo

excuse me? perhaps you can find a way to word this without calling people (including myself) stupid, especially since you've been warned repeatedly about personal attacks.

Are you guys for real? After all the ridiculously bombastic statements people have been making in these ratings threads? Ie "kill yourself etc etc" ??? :lol:

1. I attacked noone specifically 2. I was only half serious. Holy shit, lighten up :huh:

Aw who gives a crap there was some statement to the effect that whoever didn't agree with whatever should jump from a bridge hand in their fan card whatever lol

I think you had something silly to say to Rachel or something also...whatever..alot is silly imo

Eta: I honestly didn't look up who voted for or against Drowning Man. I was just making a silly statement of bombast aimed at noone in particular in the context of other silly statments of bombast aimed at noone in particular. No personal insult was intended nor should be taken. /disclaimer

An Cat Dubh's music is slinky and dark and creeping and fully suits the cat/mouse game metaphor that extends throughout the song. To me, it's brilliantly structured, and the way the song's theme of basically being raped of one's innocence is paired with Into The Heart's desire to return to innocence and naivety, if only for a short time, is heartbreaking.

Again, perfect 10. Waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better than 11 O Clock Tick Tock, and perhaps a notch or so better than Drowning Man.

Are you guys for real? After all the ridiculously bombastic statements people have been making in these ratings threads? Ie "kill yourself etc etc" ??? :lol:

1. I attacked noone specifically 2. I was only half serious. Holy shit, lighten up :huh:
i haven't been reading every single thread (really didn't think i had to, just been voting and leaving) but if there's been ridiculously bombastic statements like that then they should've been reported.

1. you attacked everyone who gave drowning man a better vote than an cat dubh/into the heart 2. it sure didn't sound like it. and telling me to lighten up? not helping your case here. if you wish to discuss this further, feel free to pm me.

KhanadaRhodes, I've read pretty much ever post in ever Rate The Song thread, and I don't have any memory of Gabe saying anything particularly ridiculously bombastic, outside of this thread. And even with this thread, I actually got the impression that he was kidding.

That being said, I would really, really appreciate it if Rate The Song discussion could be kept as civil as possible. The reason I am running this is really because I like Interference having the opportunity to share their feelings on songs, to review U2's excellent back catalog, and whatnot, hopefully being a somewhat positive and fun experience for us. It would be really nice if it didn't turn into constant fighting. It's perfectly okay to be strongly opinionated about songs, and to voice that opinion very strongly. Just please try to not keep it personal, and avoid insulting other people.

Digitize has been very busy of late hasn't he? He's an inspiration for all of us :heart:

The reason I am running this is really because I like Interference having the opportunity to share their feelings on songs, to review U2's excellent back catalog, and whatnot, hopefully being a somewhat positive and fun experience for us.

If I can make a confession I would just like to say that there are still the odd b-side that I've never heard yet. Mostly from there early days. So thanks again Digitize :hug:

First TUF, now JT, and next AB...it's not fun handing out all this praise, there's really not a below 8 song on any of those records.

Hurry up and get to Pop and Bomb so I can correct the bell curve and start handing out a bunch of sub-5 ratings! ;)

Excellent job on these Digitize...it will be interesting to see the all-time tabulations when this is all done..though I guess we can predict what most of those will be. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom