Results for Rate The Song Series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually got the impression that he was kidding.

This.

I don't know why I feel so compelled to actually have to explain myself, but yes there were silly (and what I felt slightly combative) statements in other ratings threads. Ironically so, by a couple people who piped up here. I was just playing along.

When I said "so we can all get as stupid" I meant in reference to the joking 3 drugs whoever rated it higher must've been on. When I was younger we called getting high smashed stoned wasted drunk whatever...we called this "gettin stupid". This is clearly a joke, as I have no idea first of all who even did rate it higher and second of all if they ever have gotten stupid before. This was not about whether or not the people were intelligent beings or not or whether or not I was calling into question their intelligence. Period.

Finally, when I said "lighten up" Khan I didn't mean you in particular although it was right after your post - that was more aimed at anyone who was truly offended and who might have by extension actually have pushed the report button to bring you in here.

Hopefully that clears that up. I agree with you Digitize let's keep it fun..I guess by that I also meant funny but maybe what makes me chuckle might not be other's cup of tea. Onwards and upwards and all that...

TUF is ranked as follows:

1) Bad
2) The Unforgettable Fire
3) A Sort of Homecoming
4) Pride (In the Name of Love)
5) Promenade
6) Wire
7) Indian Summer Sky
8) MLK
9) Elvis Presley and America
10) 4th of July

TUF is ranked as follows:

1) Bad
2) The Unforgettable Fire
3) A Sort of Homecoming
4) Pride (In the Name of Love)
5) Promenade
6) Wire
7) Indian Summer Sky
8) MLK
9) Elvis Presley and America
10) 4th of July
Interesting. I'm surprised that the Forum rates 'The Unforgettable Fire' higher than 'A Sort of Homecoming' and 'Pride'. I also would have guessed that 'MLK' would end up 5th or 6th, not 8th.

I just listened to the studio version of Trash, Trampoline & Party Girl for the first time... it sounds like an utter train wreck LMAO

The Joshua Tree is ranked as follows:

1) Where The Streets Have No Name
2) With or Without You
3) One Tree Hill
4) Running to Stand Still
5) I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6) Red Hill Mining Town
7) In God's Country
8) Exit
9) Bullet the Blue Sky
10) Mothers of the Disappeared
11) Trip Through Your Wires

Yeah, that sounds about right but imo Bullet is better than Exit. Alot of these songs must've been really really close, I'd be curious to see what the numbers were, stacked against each other. Just tell us how many 10s and 9s each got, for instance ;)

Yeah, that sounds about right but imo Bullet is better than Exit. Alot of these songs must've been really really close, I'd be curious to see what the numbers were, stacked against each other. Just tell us how many 10s and 9s each got, for instance ;)

How does this look?

45065937.png

I plan on publishing a PDF at the end of this with that and a whole lot more statistical detail.

I know I won't be able to sleep at night until I get the standard deviation of "Boomerang"!

Just kidding, digitize -- this is amazing stuff you're doing.

Rattle and Hum rankings, by mean:

1) All I Want Is You
2) Desire
3) Heartland
4) Angel of Harlem
5) Hawkmoon 269
6) God Part II
7) Van Diemen's Land
8) When Love Comes To Town
9) Love Rescue Me

stuffjs.png

That ranking looks about right actually. Except Desire. Very overrated. I find it kind of boring. The live version on the R&H film is way better, too.

That ranking looks good. Desire and Heartland should have swapped places though.

I think Hawkmoon 269 being ranked below Angel of Harlem is absurd, but that's just years and years of seeing acoustic AOH on setlists and subsequently wanting to vomit creating bias.

So, voting on the late 80s songs just closed today. I intentionally decided (not out of laziness - at least, that's what I'm telling you :wink: ) to hold off on posting polls for the first half of Achtung Baby until after all of the late 80s voting was finished, because it seemed like, for a few days, this forum was really saturated with song rating threads, and I wanted to give it a chance to clear out. I will post polls for Achtung Baby starting tomorrow morning (in the United States, at least).

Here is how Interference ranks the late 80s, as sorted by mean rating:

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
  2. With or Without You
  3. All I Want Is You
  4. Bad
  5. The Unforgettable Fire
  6. A Sort of Homecoming
  7. One Tree Hill
  8. Running to Stand Still
  9. Pride (In the Name of Love)
  10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  11. Promenade
  12. Love Comes Tumbling
  13. Red Hill Mining Town
  14. In God's Country
  15. Desire
  16. Spanish Eyes
  17. Heartland
  18. Exit
  19. Bullet the Blue Sky
  20. Angel of Harlem
  21. Walk to the Water
  22. Hawkmoon 269
  23. God Part II
  24. Wire
  25. Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
  26. Mothers of the Disappeared
  27. Indian Summer Sky
  28. She's a Mystery To Me
  29. The Three Sunrises
  30. MLK
  31. Hallelujah Here She Comes
  32. Deep in the Heart
  33. Silver and Gold
  34. Elvis Presley and America
  35. Disappearing Act
  36. Bass Trap
  37. Boomerang II
  38. Trip Through Your Wires
  39. Van Diemen's Land
  40. Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
  41. Yoshino Blossom
  42. 4th of July
  43. Sweetish Thing (original version)
  44. Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience
  45. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
  46. Boomerang I
  47. When Love Comes To Town
  48. Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
  49. Love Rescue Me
  50. Rise Up
  51. Desert of Our Love
  52. Drunk Chicken/America

So for all the worry that the b-sides were being rated too highly, the end results (at least the Top 10) were entirely predictable. Not that you can really argue with any of the top rated songs, they all belong there.

Ironically this would be pretty much be the Top 10 (though perhaps in a different order) if you did a poll of the 80's songs at Rolling Stone.com and only casual fans voted.

Somehow, now the U22 track listing makes perfect sense. :)

So for all the worry that the b-sides were being rated too highly, the end results (at least the Top 10) were entirely predictable. Not that you can really argue with any of the top rated songs, they all belong there.

Ironically this would be pretty much be the Top 10 (though perhaps in a different order) if you did a poll of the 80's songs at Rolling Stone.com and only casual fans voted.

Somehow, now the U22 track listing makes perfect sense. :)

I think it will be very interesting to see if how 90s stuff does compared to this. Interference seems to have an internal reputation for loving the 90s material more than the general public seems to. Let's see if that holds up.

I think it will be very interesting to see if how 90s stuff does compared to this. Interference seems to have an internal reputation for loving the 90s material more than the general public seems to. Let's see if that holds up.

Achtung Baby is unique in U2's catalogue. Most of their records mix masterpieces with flawed gems. On AB, there's not a bad song, and it's undoubtedly the most complete, solid album U2 has released. Of course it doesn't quite reach the emotional, spiritual or musical highs of TUF or JT...there's no Streets or ASOH on AB here, and for that reason this one flies just below the sun but doesn't break orbit. But AB doesn't have any real low points either. Each song just works, and any of these songs could be plugged into any live set effortlessly. You can't quite say that for JT or TUF.

It's also the record most likely so suffer from grade inflation, however, with no doubt people falling all over themselves to reflexively rate almost everything 10. It's more like a record of mostly 9's...but unlike other U2 records, there's not much here below that.

Of course, it's pretty much the last U2 album that I think we can expect universal acclaim for. From this point out, the output becomes much more inconsistent, with two great, but flawed albums, two good, but not great albums, and one well-intentioned but misguided disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom