Rest of U2 Survivor: Zooropa - Round 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Zooropa

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Lemon

Votes: 28 33.7%
  • Dirty Day

Votes: 49 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
The Wanderer wah-wah-wah-wah'd its way out a day early (44 votes).

VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG

Polls will remain open for 48 hours, unless one song has taken enough of a beating after a day or so, in which case we'll call it an act of mercy and move on to the next round.

Songs in this round:

- Zooropa
- Lemon
- Dirty Day

Criteria for song selection (at least for the albums): anything on the regular pressings of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18 is excluded.

Lem-AUHN
Is gonna make me cry-AYE

Fuckin' lemons. Lemon. Lemon Bars. FUCK.

Anyway, yeah, Lemon sucks.

fetch.dll

Quoting from the previous thread:

Originally posted by Rosebud
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE The Wanderer - it's just that to me it feels like something poring from Cash's soul, and really can't be put in the same category as the rest of Zooropa. Of course that shows Bono's great talent at writing for someone else. So, it's not that I like it less, I just think that I have trouble comparing with the others as U2 songs.
I've never actually heard any indictation that it was written for Johnny Cash. Have you read Bill Flanagan's book U2 at the End of the World? It was written during the ZooTV tour, and goes into a lot of detail about the Zooropa sessions. The talk quite a bit about The Wanderer, and really, I think it fits perfectly with the Achtung Baby-Zooropa arc. In those songs you have this character who's dove headfirst into the gritty nightlife. The story is more prevelant on Achtung Baby than on Zooropa, but it's still there in some of the songs, especially The Wanderer.
If you look at the lyrics in the context of Bono on the ZooTV tour, it fits him perfectly. Comparing JT Bono to ZooTV Bono is like comparing night and day. On the surface it looked like he'd lost his faith and lost his mind, selling his soul to the devil and selling out to the rock world. But we all know that that's all it was: surface. The Wanderer is the story of that, this man on a journey to find himself among the dirty, gritty parts of the world, leaving his wife and family behind to do so. The song sort of becomes a confession, an apology, and as is mentioned in the book, because of that, it felt wrong to have Bono sing it on the album. Having Bono sing it would sort of break the fourth wall, it would admit that the whole "The Fly" rockstar ZooTV thing was a big con, deep down Bono was still the preachy Messianic figure we all came to know and love (and in some cases, despise) during the late 80s.
According to the book, Bono recorded the song, then Johnny Cash recorded the song, and among the U2 camp, there were some arguments about which version to use. Bono wanted to use Johnny Cash's. Eno and Flood thought doing so would disrupt the album, and wanted Bono's version to be used. Clearly Bono won that argument, and so Bono's confession got buried a little bit by using The Man in Black as the messenger.

Lemon
the studio version was ok...could've been a little bit better but performing it live didn't work for me IMO. Bono's falsetto wasn't really hitting those notes and just didn't fit for me.

Im sticking with Dirty Day for the win, even though the album version wasnt as good as the live version it's still a great and underratted song and was played great. (Sydney, Adelaide, Tokyo) Really love this song.

As for Zooropa, I know it'll probably win (and it should for it's unique-ness and great direction) I just wished it would've been played more. When it was played in London, the effects and sounds was way better than the album version. but it's a great song and I love it also.

But over all, both Dirty Day and Zooropa are great songs and I'll be happy if either one wins.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I've never actually heard any indictation that it was written for Johnny Cash. Have you read Bill Flanagan's book U2 at the End of the World? It was written during the ZooTV tour, and goes into a lot of detail about the Zooropa sessions. The talk quite a bit about The Wanderer, and really, I think it fits perfectly with the Achtung Baby-Zooropa arc. In those songs you have this character who's dove headfirst into the gritty nightlife. The story is more prevelant on Achtung Baby than on Zooropa, but it's still there in some of the songs, especially The Wanderer.
If you look at the lyrics in the context of Bono on the ZooTV tour, it fits him perfectly. Comparing JT Bono to ZooTV Bono is like comparing night and day. On the surface it looked like he'd lost his faith and lost his mind, selling his soul to the devil and selling out to the rock world. But we all know that that's all it was: surface. The Wanderer is the story of that, this man on a journey to find himself among the dirty, gritty parts of the world, leaving his wife and family behind to do so. The song sort of becomes a confession, an apology, and as is mentioned in the book, because of that, it felt wrong to have Bono sing it on the album. Having Bono sing it would sort of break the fourth wall, it would admit that the whole "The Fly" rockstar ZooTV thing was a big con, deep down Bono was still the preachy Messianic figure we all came to know and love (and in some cases, despise) during the late 80s.
According to the book, Bono recorded the song, then Johnny Cash recorded the song, and among the U2 camp, there were some arguments about which version to use. Bono wanted to use Johnny Cash's. Eno and Flood thought doing so would disrupt the album, and wanted Bono's version to be used. Clearly Bono won that argument, and so Bono's confession got buried a little bit by using The Man in Black as the messenger.

Hey, thanks for the backstory on the song! That's some great insight. You're right - the storyline is really consistant with those of the Zoo era. I guess I just meant that once Johnny starts singing it, it really becomes his (a testament to his true greatness), and sort of moves to a different place in my mind. But hey, that's just how I think of it! To each their own! :hug:

dirty day - tough call were it not for the fact that those two are my favourites U2 songs full stop!!! :huh:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Nice piece of insight there. Thanks!
Would be interesting to hear Bono's version, if it were to be released (Zooropa remaster, for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom