Rest of U2 Survivor: War - Round 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Your Least Favorite Song: Vote For It!

• Seconds

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Like a Song

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Drowning Man

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Two Hearts Beat As One

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Surrender

Votes: 20 33.3%

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
The Refugee WHOA-WHOA-OHed its way out of the competition with 23 votes.

VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG

Polls will remain open for 48 hours, unless one song has taken enough of a beating after a day or so, in which case we'll call it an act of mercy and move on to the next round.

Songs in this round:

- Seconds
- Like A Song
- Drowning Man
- Two Hearts
- Surrender

Criteria for song selection (at least for the albums): anything on the regular pressings of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18 is excluded.

I don't suppose someone with premium membership search powers could look up the Non-Single Survivor and see what won War that time? I know SBS, NYD, THBAO, and 40 were excluded. I'm surprised Drowning Man has taken such a beating in the last round as I thought it did really well in the Non-Single Survivor.

Surrender's my #3 here, but I'm willing to sacrifice it for Drowning Man.

OK so what are we dumping...I'll gladly vote 40 if I have to, but I'd prefer to barbecue Surrender to save DM.

Speaking of, I just stumbled across I think the closest U2 came to playing DM live...I think Edge was game at least.

Zootlesque said:

QFTMFT!!!!!!!

I cannot believe you people are gonna vote off the atmospheric, eerie and chilling Surrender! :angry:

Speaking of which, if you people end up voting off Wake Up Dead Man this early, there will be hell to pay. :madwife:

Sadie said she couldn't work out
What it was all about
And so she let go
Now Sadie's on the street
And the people she meets you know
She tried to be a good girl and a good wife
Raise a good family
Lead a good life
It's not good enough
She got herself up on the 48th floor
Gotta find out
Find out what she's living for

Surrender, Surrender
Surrender, Surrender

Tonight...

:sad: :heart:

Such a heartbreaking song! So beautiful and haunting!

CTU2fan said:
Speaking of, I just stumbled across I think the closest U2 came to playing DM live...I think Edge was game at least.

Oh? Do tell ...

How will Pop work? Are songs on the Best of excluded, even though they're remixes? Looks to me like Discotheque, SatS, Gone, and IGWSHA are out...I'd guess Please or MOFO win with WUDM 3rd, though I suppose people might rather LNOE than WUDM.

Axver said:

Oh? Do tell ...

Just a wee bit of the guitar, Elevation Sacramento after Angel of Harlem and before Please. If you have the recording check it out, definitely Edge starting DM.

Axver said:
I don't suppose someone with premium membership search powers could look up the Non-Single Survivor and see what won War that time? I know SBS, NYD, THBAO, and 40 were excluded. I'm surprised Drowning Man has taken such a beating in the last round as I thought it did really well in the Non-Single Survivor.

Like a Song won the Non-Single Survivor. I only found the final round and the first round of War when I did a search.

And Red Light was the first one out, with 22 votes. :lol:

All the War rounds can be found on pages 4 and 5 in the EYKIW archive, all next to each other. In fact, almost all the others are there as well.

Quite surprised that Like A Song won that by a single vote over Seconds.

Oh, and I'm voting for Surrender again.

^ And what do you know, there they are. Nice. Anyway apparently DM got its walking papers that time in basically this round, right after Refugee. This time around should be a bit different as things like Gloria and The Fly get to play this time even though they're singles.

Are you guys up for a B-sides round? I think that would be fun. Of course there's a ton of them, and we could have quibbling as to whether to include stuff like The Sweetest Thing, or A Celebration...maybe just do the B-sides from the first Best Of since all the 90s B-sides are crap anyway :reject:

LemonMelon said:
Anyone voting for Surrender simply to save Drowning Man is off the Christmas card list. :grumpy:

I actually like Surrender...just not as much as Drowning Man or Like a Song. It's a good song...

Drowning Man > Surrender

The clear one to vote off here is "40," but everyone keeps thinking of the live version because people don't know anything.

THAT"S RIGHT: YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! :mad:

Live 40 > studio 40, but then again live Surrender >> studio Surrender with the damn backing vocals.

Besides, studio or not, it's 40 man, 40. We're talking about 40.

You guys are total purists with your U2. Any female backing vocals are instantly in the garbage bin, right? :tsk:

CTU2fan said:
Besides, studio or not, it's 40 man, 40. We're talking about 40.

But we ain't talkin' 'bout the live version, man. We talkin' 'bout the studio. Not the live. The studio. I mean, it's silly. This ain't the live version we talkin' 'bout, man. It's the studio. Not the live. Not the live. Not the live. Not the live. Studio, man. The studio. What are we talkin' 'bout? The studio, man.

phillyfan26 said:

But we ain't talkin' 'bout the live version, man. We talkin' 'bout the studio. Not the live. The studio. I mean, it's silly. This ain't the live version we talkin' 'bout, man. It's the studio. Not the live. Not the live. Not the live. Not the live. Studio, man. The studio. What are we talkin' 'bout? The studio, man.

Not live, man?

Nah, just on War. What's chicks doing on an album called "War" anyway? In fact, what's a song titled "Surrender" doing on an album called "War" for that matter? Bollocks!

(I was kidding about the chick thing, lest I offend someone)

phillyfan26 said:

Somebody somewhere has to have an mp3 of that...I suppose I could find the clip on youtube.

CTU2fan said:
In fact, what's a song titled "Surrender" doing on an album called "War" for that matter? Bollocks!

What??? Have you read the lyrics to Surrender recently? That whole passage from the song I posted a while back is about a woman called Sadie who is fighting fate (in other words is at 'war' with her circumstances) and finally she lets go and tries to commit suicide from the 48th floor. Surrender... surrender to the city below! It totally fits on an album titled War!

And Red Light fits too by talking about the struggle with making ends meet and giving in to prostitution.

I honestly like the studio version of 40. It is not a lie that I prefer it to Drowning Man.

The end.

Back
Top Bottom