Rest of U2 Survivor: The Joshua Tree - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Bullet the Blue SKy

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Running To Stand Still

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Hill Mining Town

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • In God's Country

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Trip Through Your Wires

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • One Tree Hill

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Exit

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Mothers Of the Disappeared

Votes: 24 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
intedomine said:
Is his love for Womanfish the reason you used to know him, as opposed to still know him? Did his credibility as an acquaintance take such a hit from his startling admission?

:lol: No, but it seemed a little odd to be so enthusiastic about that song of all songs. I think he actually posted here for a while, though I forget the screen name he used. Seems he's disappeared off the face of the planet now.

Rob33 said:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS THREAD IS TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL BEYOND BELIEF!!!! I go read a little, come back, and theres like 5 more pages!! Then, while I'm typing a response, like 3 more people post in between!!!!

ok I think I better start preparing myself for tour time....

Oh, trust me, this is nothing. You wait for the setlist parties. I start the thread about 2-3 hours before the gig and they generally die out about 2 hours after it finishes, and we've had them run to over 2,000 posts. Anything short of 500 posts constitutes "quiet".

Axver said:

Oh, trust me, this is nothing. You wait for the setlist parties. I start the thread about 2-3 hours before the gig and they generally die out about 2 hours after it finishes, and we've had them run to over 2,000 posts. Anything short of 500 posts constitutes "quiet".

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyumnn...sounds good...so it basically turns into a central, die-hard U2 fan instant messenger kinda thing...I can hardly wait :)

oh yeah, do you have to keep hitting refresh option?

Rob33 said:
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyumnn...sounds good...so it basically turns into a central, die-hard U2 fan instant messenger kinda thing...I can hardly wait :)

oh yeah, do you have to keep hitting refresh option?

Oh yeah, more than once have people described the setlist party as the messageboard version of an instant messenger or a chatroom. It's especially insane when we have an audio source for everyone to listen to.

I found that at the busier setlist parties, the refresh button was unnecessary, as I would be replying as fast as I could and there would still be at least 5-10 new posts to read when my replies went through.

I'm fairly sure that a third of my post count is from setlist parties. I expect to gain at least 5,000-7,000 posts in 2009 from the setlist parties alone. I'd predict higher but I'm a little busier these days than I was in 2005. :wink:

Axver said:

Oh yeah, more than once have people described the setlist party as the messageboard version of an instant messenger or a chatroom. It's especially insane when we have an audio source for everyone to listen to.

I found that at the busier setlist parties, the refresh button was unnecessary, as I would be replying as fast as I could and there would still be at least 5-10 new posts to read when my replies went through.

I'm fairly sure that a third of my post count is from setlist parties. I expect to gain at least 5,000-7,000 posts in 2009 from the setlist parties alone. I'd predict higher but I'm a little busier these days than I was in 2005. :wink:

hahahaha, awesome, this is great! :D

well...the busier the better...i hope next tour will bring the best setlist parties yet! Has anyone ever actually managed to guess the setlist exactly?

Rob33 said:
well...the busier the better...i hope next tour will bring the best setlist parties yet! Has anyone ever actually managed to guess the setlist exactly?

Yeah, the static sets in Europe weren't too hard to guess by the end.

And Liam, give this one a shot:

1. Gloria
2. Another Time, Another Place
3. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
4. A Day Without Me
5. An Cat Dubh
6. Into The Heart
7. Rejoice
8. The Cry
9. The Electric Co.
10. I Fall Down
11. October
12. Stories For Boys
13. I Will Follow
14. Twilight
15. Out Of Control

encore(s):
16. Fire
17. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
18. The Ocean
19. Southern Man

liamcool said:
October. Hmm. It's before May 82 because ATAP. Before March 82 because SFB is in the set. Southern Man was first performed in Feburary 82, so this set must be in Feburary or March. At a stab, 23/02/82?

Holy shit you're close. Depending upon when you consider the week to start, you're in the right week.

liamcool said:
The day beforehand?

(is that set including snippets?)

Yep, it's 22 February 1982, Madison. I don't have snippets for that one, I'm afraid.

Let's see if you can get another. How about this?

1. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
2. I Will Follow
3. MLK
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday
6. A Sort Of Homecoming
7. Bad
8. October
9. New Year's Day
10. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
11. Party Girl
12. Gloria
13. 40

Comments: Setlist is incomplete.

liamcool said:
May 1985, at a stab? (No Brick/Day, no Wire, no unusual songs.)

Yes, right month. Brick/Day were confirmed last played the previous month. Wire was likely in this set but I haven't been able to confirm that. If you know what sets do and don't exist from the UF Tour, this one is much easier than it looks.

Gloria
I Threw A Brick Through A Window
A Day Without Me
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
Surrender
Two Hearts Beat As One
Seconds
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Cry
The Electric Co.
I Fall Down
October
New Year's Day
Out Of Control

A Celebration
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
I Will Follow

Last edited:
Hmm. It's got War material, and since it has THBAO, it has to be the War Tour proper, not Pre-War. It has A Celebration, so it's either the first week of the first leg, 17 March 1983 (which it isn't), or a Japan show.

I'm going to say it's 30 November 1983.

liamcool said:
You're a bloody nerd, you know that?

I'm fuckin' proud of it too.

And YOU'RE the one who asked for more sets in the first place, so you must be a nerd too!

OK I got all of those without cheating, except for Madison :(

I voted Trip. I like it a lot actually, it's fun. Crank up Trip and see if you can resist doing those little yells along with Bono, you can't can you? But it's the worst of a great album, so Trip it is.

I'd say Trip is the best "worst song" in the U2 catalog.

Great thread guys, sorry I missed it. Re: live vs. studio ASOH...there's something about the studio version, the instruments sound like they're under a pillow. The MFSL version is a bit better, maybe/hopefully the remastered one will be better still.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
And I always 'heard' it as "Painted", but on a more acute listen,
I agree with Cori that it sounds like paintsy.

I am well pleased.

:wink:

I'm also well pleased that this thread is still going. NICE. Well done, people!

I'm leaning toward something in between "pantsy" and "paintsy", or maybe just pantsy with a bit of Dalton drawl...maybe "pantseh". No question there's an "s" sound that doesn't belong, and no sign of the "d" at the end of painted.

This is after much careful analysis of OTH (not that that's a bad thing).

I like that others are validating my crazy ears and saying they hear the mispronunciation.

I like knowing I'm not completely crazy. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom