Rest of U2 Survivor: The Joshua Tree - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Bullet the Blue SKy

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Running To Stand Still

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Hill Mining Town

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • In God's Country

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Trip Through Your Wires

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • One Tree Hill

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Exit

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Mothers Of the Disappeared

Votes: 24 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is how it should run, folks:

1 - Running To Stand Still
2 - One Tree Hill
3 - Mothers of the Disappeared
4 - Exit
5 - Bullet
6 - In God's Country
7 - Red Hill Mining Town
8 - Trip

I would also accept a switch of numbers 1 & 2. No other substitutions acceptable, I'm afraid.

Feel free to print this list out and refer to it in the subsequent rounds. :wink:

Last edited:
I have to admit that I'm also a little baffled that so many hold Running to Stand Still so high on the list here.

Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful song, great stuff. But to me it's still behind One Tree Hill and Red Tree Hill. Maybe even In God's Country, which I love.

Running to Stand Still is my favourite of the listed songs. Why? Because it's the best poetry Bono's ever written.

Diemen said:
This is how it should run, folks:

1 - Running To Stand Still
2 - One Tree Hill
3 - Mothers of the Disappeared
4 - Exit
5 - Bullet
6 - In God's Country
7 - Red Hill Mining Town
8 - Trip

I would also accept a switch of numbers 1 & 2. No other substitutions acceptable, I'm afraid.

Feel free to print this list out and refer to it in the subsequent rounds. :wink:

1. One Tree Hill
2. Running to Stand Still
3. Mothers of the Disappeared
4. Exit
5. Bullet the Blue Sky
6. Red Hill Mining Town
7. In God's Country
8. Trip

(Funny note: the first 7 listed there are all better than ISHFWILF.)

phillyfan26 said:
(Funny note: the first 7 listed there are all better than ISHFWILF.)

Honestly, I think ISHFWILF is the second worst song on the album; Trip obviously is dead last.

I'm surprised to see RHMT (Red Tree Hill, cori? :wink: ) placing so poorly on many lists. I think it's one of the most powerful, memorable experiences on the entire album. I wish it had been a single. I'd rather hear this song over and over again in concert than ISHFWILF.

1. Running to Stand Still
2. Exit
3. One Tree Hill
4. In God's Country
5. Bullet The Blue Sky
6. Red Hill Mining Town
7. Trip Through Your Wires
8. Mothers of the Disappeared

I think Red Hill sounds a little sloppy. Edge cuts notes short in nearly every bar. I love Bono's performance on it, but it seems like overall maybe they should've ran through it a few more times beforehand.

corianderstem said:
I have to admit that I'm also a little baffled that so many hold Running to Stand Still so high on the list here.

Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful song, great stuff. But to me it's still behind One Tree Hill and Red Tree Hill. Maybe even In God's Country, which I love.

I think Running To Stand Still is easy to overlook because it is a fairly simple song. But it's damn near perfect. The gorgeous melody, the sparse instrumentation, the restrained crescendo to the end, the harmonica outro, not to mention some of Bono's finest lyrics. It's a song that is more than the sum of its parts.

Axver said:

Honestly, I think ISHFWILF is the second worst song on the album; Trip obviously is dead last.

I'm surprised to see RHMT (Red Tree Hill, cori? :wink: ) placing so poorly on many lists. I think it's one of the most powerful, memorable experiences on the entire album. I wish it had been a single. I'd rather hear this song over and over again in concert than ISHFWILF.

True true, but c'mon Ax, if RHMT was scrapped as a single because B couldn't sing it every night in '87 imagine what he'd do to it now?

CTU2fan said:
True true, but c'mon Ax, if RHMT was scrapped as a single because B couldn't sing it every night in '87 imagine what he'd do to it now?

Couldn't possibly be worse than present day Pride, One, or WOWY. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom