Rest of U2 Survivor: Rattle and Hum - Round 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Zoo Station

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • So Cruel

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • The Fly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trying To Throw Your Arms Around the World

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • Ultraviolet

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Acrobat

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Love Is Blindness

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Moser said:
I really can't believe TTTYAATW is not a favorite here. Live it sounds great, especially with the loud open acoustic chords Edge breaks into mid-song.
TTTYAATW isn't horrible but alongside songs like So Cruel, The Fly, Ultra Violet, and Acrobat, it really is sub-par.

And :lol: at the thread title. We're stuck in a Rattle and Hum time warp! It's 1988 U2's worst nightmare!

TTTYAATW is a dull, plodding song that never should have gone beyond b-side status. It's a rambling little thing that goes nowhere and does nothing. Live it was a little better, but I would still say that it was the low point of the ZooTV main set.

Still, it could be worse. It could be Ultra Violet.

LemonMelon said:
Baby, baby, baby...shut the hell up, Axver.

It's a shit song and one of the worst moments of U2's entire career, and it deserves to be called out as such at every given opportunity.

Axver said:

It's a shit song and one of the worst moments of U2's entire career, and it deserves to be called out as such at every given opportunity.

Treasure is a fucking b-side. And it sounds like it.

See? I can play too. :wink:

Yes, but in this case, you will have to answer to liamcool's halberd. :wink:

Axver said:
Yes, but in this case, you will have to answer to liamcool's halberd. :wink:

:sad: Better enjoy my last remaining seconds.

I REMEMBER, WHEN WE COULD SLEEP ON STOOOOOOOOOOOONES

BUT NOW WE LIE TOGETHER, IN WHISPERS AND MOOOOAAAAANS :drool:

LemonMelon said:
:sad: Better enjoy my last remaining seconds.

Oh, don't worry, you've got at least a few hours ahead of you. Liam likes to make it slow and agonising for his victims. :wink:

BUT NOW WE LIE TOGETHER, IN WHISPERS AND MOOOOAAAAANS :drool:

Crowded House's Whispers And Moans > that.

You know, I agree that some of Ultra Violet's lyrics in the verses are good (though not the one you quoted - "stones" is such an obviously forced rhyme with "moans"). It's a shame U2 had to make the song about a minute too long and drag it out with a chorus that the Backstreet Boys wish they'd invented and harmonised.

Axver said:

You know, I agree that some of Ultra Violet's lyrics in the verses are good (though not the one you quoted - "stones" is such an obviously forced rhyme with "moans"). It's a shame U2 had to make the song about a minute too long and drag it out with a chorus that the Backstreet Boys wish they'd invented and harmonised.

"There's a silence that comes to a house where no one can sleep" is really, really great. Can't say I very much enjoy "When I was all messed up, and there was opera in my head, your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed", however. They could come up with something better than "lightbulb", and it's such an obvious way to connect with "light my way". Bah.

My ranking of these songs.

1. Acrobat, for the win
2. Ultraviolet (to Axver's dismay!)
3. The Fly
4. Love is Blindness
5. So Cruel
6. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
7. Zoo Station
8. Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World

LemonMelon said:
"There's a silence that comes to a house where no one can sleep" is really, really great. Can't say I very much enjoy "When I was all messed up, and there was opera in my head, your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed", however. They could come up with something better than "lightbulb", and it's such an obvious way to connect with "light my way". Bah.

... I agree entirely. :ohmy:

As for rankings:

1. Acrobat
2. The Fly
3. Love Is Blindness
4. Zoo Station
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
6. So Cruel
7. Tryin' To Throw
8. Ultra Violet

Axver said:

... I agree entirely. :ohmy:

Oh my gawd. :ohmy: And we also agree that the production on AB is terrible. This is great.

The rankings will have to wait until morning for me. It's like 4 AM and stopped thinking rationally about 3 hours ago.

LemonMelon said:
Oh my gawd. :ohmy: And we also agree that the production on AB is terrible. This is great.

So, is the world about to end or something?

I think the production on both Achtung Baby and Zooropa are terrible. They would've been so much better albums....

Erk this is quite difficult, but So Cruel is the one that I think doesn't stand up to the others. TTYAATW is great simply cause it's weed-weird.

I think I'm beginning to agree with Axver to an extent, I mean Ultraviolet only has two or three decent lines in it, tops. The rest is nothing special, but I still don't see reason for a grudge (except for the baby baby baby x100,000 and its length).

LemonMelon said:
No, no, not yet. I don't hate One, so...

Oh, good. There are books I want to read before the Apocalypse hits.

the tourist said:
I think the production on both Achtung Baby and Zooropa are terrible. They would've been so much better albums....

I think the production on most if not all U2 albums is dreadful. Achtung, ATYCLB, and most of all HTDAAB are trainwrecks. I honestly find HTDAAB unlistenable now. "Louder is better" my arse.

The Sad Punk said:
I think I'm beginning to agree with Axver to an extent, I mean Ultraviolet only has two or three decent lines in it, tops. The rest is nothing special, but I still don't see reason for a grudge (except for the baby baby baby x100,000 and its length).

A convert. :drool:

I don't think it's a grudge as much as it's just that hyperbole is satisfying. :wink:

mysterious_jen said:
ultraviolet should give the fly a run,

TTTYAATW, only song on the album i skip .

:censored:

I've now used that smiley in three consecutive posts.

For me, this always depends on my mood. If I'm in a more mellow mood, then I tend to adore Throw, whereas So Cruel lags for me. But other times I think So Cruel is a magical piece, especially the last minute or so.

I'm voting for So Cruel because I'm more often in that mellow mood, and the live incarnation was terrific, and besides, it brings a SMILE to your face.

My rankings:

1. The Fly (shouldn't really be here... wasn't it the first single?)
2. Acrobat
3. Love is Blindness
4. Zoo Station
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
6. Ultraviolet
7. So Cruel/Trying to Throw

COBL_04 said:
1. The Fly (shouldn't really be here... wasn't it the first single?)

Someone's confusing their criteria. :wink:

We've done a Non-Single Survivor before. This, being "Rest Of" Survivor, is excluding the material on the "Best Of" releases (at least the regular pressings thereof, as The Fly is on UK/Japan pressings of BO90-00).

And if this were a Single Survivor, WGRYWH would be gone too.

Hooray! People who agree the production of Achtung Baby is shit!

Also, someone asked earlier why TTTYAATW was getting votes when "it was lovely live."

Uh .... because we're not voting on live tracks? Not a hard concept, guys.

Axver said:
TTTYAATW is a dull, plodding song that never should have gone beyond b-side status. It's a rambling little thing that goes nowhere and does nothing. Live it was a little better, but I would still say that it was the low point of the ZooTV main set.

Still, it could be worse. It could be Ultra Violet.

A great way someone described it to me is as a light... Achtung Baby is a record that is lined with heartbreak (One, So Cruel, Love is Blindnes), and the songs get increasingly darker until you hit Love is Blindness. Trying to Throw is a happy little number, a song that gives you as good feeling before it all goes downhill. The easy way out. Come to a fork in the road; one way it's happy, ignorance is bliss with Trying to Throw, the other way (obviously you have to keep listening) leads to more heartbreak.

I always liked that analogy, as cheesy or as shit as anyone else thinks it is.

Back
Top Bottom