Rest of U2 Survivor: Rattle and Hum - Round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Van Diemen's Land

Votes: 43 67.2%
  • Hawkmoon 269

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Heartland

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • God Part II

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
Love Rescue Me was put to sleep last round, with a whopping 46 votes.

VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG

Polls will remain open for 48 hours, unless one song has taken enough of a beating after a day or so, in which case we'll call it an act of mercy and move on to the next round.

Songs in this round:

- Van Diemen's Land
- Hawkmoon 269
- Heartland
- God Part II

Criteria for song selection (at least for the albums): anything on the regular pressings of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18 is excluded.

Van Diemen's Land. It's excellent, but completely out of its league here.

This is too hard. Hawkmoon 269 is a great song, but the studio version has a bad intro and outro and is vastly inferior to the live version. Meanwhile, VDL is a great song, but essentially an Edge solo track and I'm not sure if I would consider it superior to Hawkmoon.

I'll hold off on voting for now.

Hawkmoon 269 will be my vote in the next round, so I wouldn't be miffed if it went this round.

God Axver, why did you change your avatar? I don't even know who you are anymore :sad: Like I see your posts, and I'm like "Who IS that! OH. It's Axver. WHY IS THERE A REDROCKS EDGE THERE AND NOT NEW ZEALAND."

I'm high strung today :uhoh:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
God Axver, why did you change your avatar? I don't even know who you are anymore :sad: Like I see your posts, and I'm like "Who IS that! OH. It's Axver. WHY IS THERE A REDROCKS EDGE THERE AND NOT NEW ZEALAND."

I'm high strung today :uhoh:

:lol: It's my old avatar that I had before the Aussie/Kiwi leg of Vertigo was announced. I never intended the U2 NZ one to be permanent - in fact, I was going to change it back after the last show in November 2006! But then I got lazy and didn't bother to do it until now.

And I just listened to VDL and Hawkmoon back to back - and as much as I love VDL, it's got to go. Hawkmoon may have the worst initial 15 seconds of any song on the album and the outro isn't that great, but the rest of the song is incredibly strong.

It's very controversial. :wink:

I just can't see one mistake on Hawkmoon making it worse than Edge by himself. I mean, VDL is very good, but it's no Hawkmoon.

This is not a good round for me. I was going to pass on voting for Heartland (seeing as voting for it would be useless until the final round) and vote for my next least favorite. However, that is God Part II, which also has zero chance of getting eliminated. :banghead:

Ahh, screw it. Death to Heartland!!! I'm taking a stand!

Heartland coincidentally just started playing on my iTunes.

What a beautiful, powerful song. :up:

Heartland covers no new sonic U2 ground (and at this point they were/should have been in a creative & progressive growth spurt!). It sounds like a C-side to Walk To Water or Luminous Times. (And I acknowledge that Heartland was originally conceived in The Joshua Tree sessions.) It's listless. It just meanders along. And not even Bono's impassioned howl at the end can truly save it.

I guess what I hear as "boring" others may hear as "lulling". :shrug: And it's by no means the worst U2 song or even a bad, horrible song. It's not even the worst song on Rattle & Hum. It's just kind of bland. I've always found it bland and ordinary.

Unlike Hawkmoon . . . which popped off the album immediately to me the first time I heard it, and cemented itself as the standout track after many many many many many Rattle & Hum listens. :wink:

FitzChivalry said:

:up:

Heartland is boring.

:)

ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY INSANE?

if you honestly think this is boring then you have issues my friend :)

i'm still deciding on what to vote for, but definitely not Heartland, I think I'll vote for that one to win...

I think it goes Heartland, Hawkmoon 269, Van Diemen's Land, God Part 2...but the last 2 are very close....actually all these songs are close together on the brilliance scale, I really don't see a clear favorite :)

WTF? Seriously, Fitz, normally your opinions make sense even when I completely disagree with you, but that? I don't even know where to begin.

I mean, the music is so gorgeous and sweeping, the lyrics evocative, the vocals powerful and strong, the conclusion epic - it's got everything a song needs. I feel like you're talking about a different song. I mean, lulling? Hardly. Taking you away and filling your mind with striking images - that's what it does. I wouldn't call it soothing; I would call it majestic.

I'm going to go against the crowd and back up Fitz here. I've never been able to get into Heartland, and would hardly call it majestic.

That said, I really want to like Hawkmoon over the rest here, but it's too damn repetitive.

It took them 269 mixes to get to that point: about halfway finished.

That alone I should bring up everytime I try to convince people Achtung Baby should be re-recorded.

If just think if they'd shortened it by 2 verses it would've been the clear champ. It goes on just a little too long, which maybe wouldn't have been so bad if the song had more than two chords. ;)

It would be a candidate for victory if only Edge's live intro were also on the studio version instead of 15 seconds of cheesy bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom