Rest of U2 Survivor: Pop - Round 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Mofo

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • Please

Votes: 38 45.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:
Although the album version of Please is lacking the guitar solo, it should still be the winner here. It's one of U2's best songs.

It is a great song, even if it lacks an obvious climax. The last two minutes of the song, especially from a lyrical standpoint, put it over the top.

Popping in to say just because I like different songs than some of you, that doesn't mean I'm voting based on live versions.

:madspit:

LemonMelon said:
Though this contest has lost all of its credibility after killing off WUDM (let's face it, had this song been a live favorite, it would still be here)...
LemonMelon said:
Though this contest has lost all of its credibility after killing off WUDM (let's face it, had this song been a live favorite, it would still be here)...
LemonMelon said:
LemonMelon said:
LemonMelon said:

QUOTED FOR TRUTH FIVE TIMES!

Since WUDM is gone (WTF is wrong with Interference?), I'm voting Mofo, though it was a hard choice. Since we're going by album version, I can't actually say Please is better, it just has more promise, and more musical credibility...

Last edited:
How is Please even still here let along tied? Both of these songs should have been long gone.

When I rewrite history, I will claim Wake Up Dead Man won this album in a series of mercy killings.

Okay, speaking of WTF, why do so many people claim that WUDM is such a great song? Good lyrics, yes. But that's about it.

corianderstem said:
Okay, speaking of WTF, why do so many people claim that WUDM is such a great song? Good lyrics, yes. But that's about it.

great lyrics + atmosphere + hungover sounding Bono = LOVE

corianderstem said:

corianderstem said:

corianderstem said:

corianderstem said:

Not good lyrics...fucking GREAT lyrics. Best on the whole album, and that's saying something. Beyond that, Bono's voice sounds amazing. It conveys so much emotion and feeling. Musically? Creepy as hell, and it climaxes so effectively at the end.

Basically, it's perfect. That's why it's great. ;)

LemonMelon said:
Not good lyrics...fucking GREAT lyrics.

Your father
He made the world in seven
He's in charge of heaven

Oh yeah. Dylan only wishes he could spin poetry like that. :wink:

Beyond that, Bono's voice sounds amazing.

Yeaaah. I'm gonna have to go ahead and.... disagree with you there.

:wink:

Diemen said:

Your father
He made the world in seven
He's in charge of heaven

Oh yeah. Dylan only wishes he could spin poetry like that. :wink:

:wink: Actually, that line isn't bad. Not as great as the rest, but not bad. You have to judge the lyrics as they were meant to be perceived: as a simple, direct appeal to God. It's not flowery, nor is it supposed to be. It's just human. Otherwise, the track's emotion would be muted.

Jesus, I'm waiting here boss
I know you're looking out for us
but maybe your hands aren't free

Jesus, were you just around the corner?
did You think to try and warn her?
or are you working on something new?
if there's an order in all of this disorder
is it like a tape recorder?
Can we rewind it just once more?

Yeah, it's not poetry, but it hits you right in the heart. It sounds like something an actual human being would say. There aren't any lines about honey and souls here, that's for sure. :up:

And, about the vocals, I specifically called them amazing because of what they convey, not necessarily the enthusiasm of them or the notes he hits. Artists like Dylan himself thrive on this.

Diemen said:
I would never call Dylan's voice amazing. Even in the context you've given.

Neither would I, but it is the kind of thing he does well. See: Idiot Wind.

The day vocal quality is measured by the quality and clarity of notes hit is the day that American Idol has truly brainwashed us all. :tsk:

Voted for Mofo... I love Please too much.

(Agree that WUDM should have won, though.)

(I also find it amusing that both these songs were singles, and had they been included on the Best Of (there's a mystery for another day), we wouldn't be in this dilemma...)

Last edited:
:ohmy: missed round 7!!!!
But I would`ve voted LNOE anyway:wink:

Okay....this is tough but I voted Mofo!

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom